Author Topic: NSW RFS bushfire app  (Read 5025 times)

Offline Wortho

• Soft Floor Camper User
NSW RFS bushfire app
« on: September 09, 2012, 02:32:04 PM »
http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/dsp_content.cfm?cat_id=131251

Just noticed that RFS have handy app's for the iPad and smartphones for when your on the move. After smelling smoke I just checked the Sydney area and there are 8 controlled burns going on around Northern Sydney at the moment. Nice to know they are controlled burns.

bunyip

Re: NSW RFS bushfire app
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 03:03:26 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.

I will make sure LB gets that on her phone.

Bunyip

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 03:55:14 PM »
Very handy, I've had it installed for a while. It alerts me to fires within 50klm of my home. The RFS website also has info on fires around the state and their current standing.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 07:32:46 PM »
Just downloaded it.  Very good.

http://frostysadventures.blogspot.com/

Offline SUPA105

• Saw it....wanted it....chucked a fit....got it
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:11:22 PM »
Had it for awhile now....works well and is kept reasonable up todate, could be handy if your camped and have mobile coverage....
2000 GXL Landcruiser with toy's
2004 Wallaby camper
& bugger all time to get the two together.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 06:14:22 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 07:23:07 PM »
And right at the start of the fire season the RFS have replaced the fires near me app.

Unlike normal practice they didn't update it, they just released a new app with the same name,  and then killed the old one.  If you try and use it now you will just get error messages saying it has failed to connect....

You have to remove it and install the new working version......

2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 07:50:10 PM »
To All Out There
                        Plan to escape the fire if it comes your way  . Plan NOW  , Create your Escape Plan , Be ready  ,   Be Aware  , Don't Leave it to the last minute . Tell your responsible family members of your plan . Go & Go Mow  Be Safe
                                                                            :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »
And right at the start of the fire season the RFS have replaced the fires near me app.

Unlike normal practice they didn't update it, they just released a new app with the same name,  and then killed the old one.  If you try and use it now you will just get error messages saying it has failed to connect....

that's ****in genius right there :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »
Go & Go Mow  Be Safe

Mowing on the brain - or a funny co-incidence?
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 09:52:54 PM »
After 30 years living in a high to extreme ( BAL 40 ) fire zone, having been under direct ember attack on 4 occasions I can say that an RFS App was never part of my fire plan. I worried that many people will rely on the App and wait for it to buzz or what ever it does before enacting a fire plan ( which will be panic and jump in the car).
Living in bush fire zones requires vigilance at all times, winter is your best friend as you can do you clearing ready for the summer, summer is a bit like 10 minutes till kickoff in the footy, if you are not ready then you are not much chance in the game.
Being involved in the local brigade is also highly recommended even if it is only as a non- operational role.

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 10:32:17 PM »
After 30 years living in a high to extreme ( BAL 40 ) fire zone, having been under direct ember attack on 4 occasions I can say that an RFS App was never part of my fire plan. I worried that many people will rely on the App and wait for it to buzz or what ever it does before enacting a fire plan ( which will be panic and jump in the car).
Living in bush fire zones requires vigilance at all times, winter is your best friend as you can do you clearing ready for the summer, summer is a bit like 10 minutes till kickoff in the footy, if you are not ready then you are not much chance in the game.
Being involved in the local brigade is also highly recommended even if it is only as a non- operational role.
No - make involved in an operational role

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 06:46:17 AM »
Well Said , Go & have a chat with your local fire brigade as to how you can help out . You don't have to put the wet stuff on the hot stuff. There are many jobs to keep the wheels moving that are important . Be Safe      :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 07:40:27 AM »
Correct.  By the time any app warns you of a fire it will most likely be on you already.  First thing that goes in a fire is the electricity.  Then the mobile towers work as good as a bean can with no string attached! ! Even our CFA comms went down during Black Saturday. Be alert. Be aware and be safe.
Gordo 350
2015 Ford Ranger Super Cab
Aussie Jays Big Red
everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Tweekin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 09:04:20 AM »
RFS does push out the fire status pretty quickly these days - but I agree no replacement for having a good awareness of whats going on around you on bad fire danger days. Mobile towers do have battery backup however it only lasts a couple of hours before generators are needed.

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 09:36:06 AM »
RFS does push out the fire status pretty quickly these days - but I agree no replacement for having a good awareness of whats going on around you on bad fire danger days. Mobile towers do have battery backup however it only lasts a couple of hours before generators are needed.
If you really want to know if there is a fire nearby and get alerted FAST, then you have to join an RFS / CFA crew.

Yeah, sure at times you're expected to drop everything but 99.72% of the time it stuff you didn't want to do anyway.

Yesterday was 2 calls, first was a smoker (tree bruning from the inside out) from the hazard reduction a few weeks ago - well inside the HR boundaries.

The second was a collection of F%#K WIT's that though that the Total Fire Bans don't apply to them.

OIC read them the riot act, got there attention when he mentioned the fine.

Point being, get involved....

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 10:01:56 AM »

Mine is working fine after installing the new iOS. No update/re-installation required.

As for volunteering, I've added another uniform to my collection and spent for than a few Thursday evenings and weekends at the shed.  Now I've moved back to NSW for a bit its Wednesdays and I have another uniform on order and on the books for NSW & Qld brigades.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 10:04:31 AM by Hoyks »

Offline Tweekin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 07:59:48 AM »
If you really want to know if there is a fire nearby and get alerted FAST, then you have to join an RFS / CFA crew.

Yeah, sure at times you're expected to drop everything but 99.72% of the time it stuff you didn't want to do anyway.

Yesterday was 2 calls, first was a smoker (tree bruning from the inside out) from the hazard reduction a few weeks ago - well inside the HR boundaries.

The second was a collection of F%#K WIT's that though that the Total Fire Bans don't apply to them.

OIC read them the riot act, got there attention when he mentioned the fine.

Point being, get involved....

Have been for over 20 years :) , currently the Captain.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 08:28:25 AM »
App is not to be relied on its FYI . During the last two threatening fires the alerts come through both mobile and landlines 
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim