Author Topic: E-Readers which one?  (Read 20927 times)

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
E-Readers which one?
« on: July 16, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
So I have been thinking about getting an e-reader for awhile now and try to research on the internet about them but they all have such mixed reviews wondered if some swaggers could help me out.  I am wanting to know what brands people have and what they do and don't like about them, there are so many different screen types now with backlight and without and others with the option to clip light on the top.  I want something that is easy to read and if it is good to read at night with then I probably would.  Also what is the best for accessing books.  I really love traditional books but think this would give me the option of having more books with me with less bulk.

Cheers

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: E-Readers which one?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 12:58:21 PM »
Bought the bride a Kindle a couple of years ago.  She loves it.  While it is never the same as holding and reading a book it has many other advantages.  The main one being the screen shows as a page, not back light and she doesn't get any of the eye strain or head aches that sometimes happen.   

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051QVF7A/?tag=gocous-20&hvadid=8782576877&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3364586871173744347&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1jz3836cn0_e
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »
I'm not sure on the cost difference, but I'd look at the ipads or note/tablet type devices. You're not limiting yourself to just an ebook. The ipads or tablets can do much more - storing music, movies and ebooks along with being used to take photos/videos, navigation and in some cases browse online.

The lad picked up a Galaxy note on special at JB's last week (he's anti-apple) and it seems to be pretty shmick.

We use our ipad up the bush for navigation, movies, books and online as it is the 3G version.

Tim

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
My wife recently got the Kobo Glo. It was a toss up between that & the Kindle Paperwhite as both have backlights - saves having to clip a light to the top.
She went with the Kobo over the Kindle as it is easier to download books from the local library & library books are free although it did require some Adobe software to be downloaded first.
There are a few threads in Whirlpool forums which we found useful

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/83?&g=255

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1949524
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline stephwoodall

• Tent User
  • 2015 Landcruiser 76, Customline Walkup Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 01:08:14 PM »
Hi there

SWMBO has a Kobo touch.  It isn't one that is back lit so it is much easier to read - gentler on the eyes.  She has a cover for it and a small reading light can clip on if needed.  It syncs wirelessly and the battery lasts forever.  Great for a camping trip as she can load a bunch of books on it and we only have one "book" to pack.

Whatever you get make sure it can read epub files as not all do but most books come in an epub format I believe.

Cheers

Stephen

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »
I bought the wife a Kindle Touch and a cover that had the light in it. She dropped it and now it's a dud, the screen is caput.
I was going to buy her another but decided on getting her a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 it runs Android and has a nice 7" screen. It came with the Kindle app installed and is useful for a lot of other things besides reading. I don't think she will go back to an E reader again.

Offline kiva

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 01:20:29 PM »
The Mrs and I both use Kindles.

As much as I like the multi-functionality of an iPad/Galaxy Note etc, I personally don't find that they are that good for just reading. The screen is too bright, they weigh too much, and the battery life is pathetic compared to a dedicated reader (we recharge the Kindle's about once a month).

LandCruiser GXL 105 Series. Complete Campsite Exodus 14.

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 01:29:09 PM »
I'm not sure on the cost difference, but I'd look at the ipads or note/tablet type devices. You're not limiting yourself to just an ebook. The ipads or tablets can do much more - storing music, movies and ebooks along with being used to take photos/videos, navigation and in some cases browse online.

The lad picked up a Galaxy note on special at JB's last week (he's anti-apple) and it seems to be pretty shmick.

We use our ipad up the bush for navigation, movies, books and online as it is the 3G version.

Tim

As much as I like the multi-functionality of an iPad/Galaxy Note etc, I personally don't find that they are that good for just reading. The screen is too bright, they weigh too much, and the battery life is pathetic compared to a dedicated reader (we recharge the Kindle's about once a month).

Thanks Tim and Kiva these are 2 points that I discuss with the BF all the time he thinks get a tablet instead (we are also anti apple) but at the moment I really mostly just want something I can read that I wont have to charge all the time and I do want it to be easy to read.

To everyone else who replied thanks so much I will have a look at those whirlpool links and see what I can find on there.  It is something I would normally have decided on long ago but don't want to spend the money and not be happy with it.  And there is so much info about e-ink and back light and  different book libraries that I cannot seem to choose. Maybe once I finish the paperbacks I still have here to read it will push me to a decision quicker.  If anyone else has any others please keep them coming.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Best thing we found was to get your hands on one and see how it feels looks and reads
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Jjw1234

• Tent User
E-Readers which one?
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »
Kindle all the way!!! We also have iPads but the battery on the kindle is great

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 01:59:52 PM »
Kindle all the way!!! We also have iPads but the battery on the kindle is great

Kindle getting a lot of votes on here they have a lot of different ones in their market do people have a certain model/type and are they much different.

Best thing we found was to get your hands on one and see how it feels looks and reads

Yes I think I am going to have to ask around and see who has one or get into some stores to have a play with them.

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »
I used to use my old HTC phone and now use my galaxy note. If your phone is a decent size just use that.
What I like about this is wherever I am I have my book with me. Saves taking another device. My wife has a kindle that I tried for awhile but didn't like it.
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 02:05:16 PM »
I used to use my old HTC phone and now use my galaxy note. If your phone is a decent size just use that.
What I like about this is wherever I am I have my book with me. Saves taking another device. My wife has a kindle that I tried for awhile but didn't like it.

I have a HTC at the moment but I don't find it big enough to read off comfortably. I think next time I am in town I will get into JB HI FI or somewhere like that and try to check them out.

Offline matthewperk

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 02:21:12 PM »
I've had a few different eReaders over the years. I've had 2x Kogan e-readers. Their original one (non-touchscreen) was fantastic and I could load all sorts of ebook formats via a SD card. Unfortunately before I left on my last overseas trip I pulled it out to find it frozen and never was able to get it to work again. I also bought an ex-girlfriend the touch version of the kogan e-reader, this was nice to use, but we had issues with the touch screen stopping working and random resets etc.

Before I headed of overseas I needed to get a new ereader so started looking at what was out there. I ended up going with the kindle keyboard with 3g. This meant I could use the free whispernet internationally if I needed to access to a bank account etc online without needing to pay for data roaming. The kindle is great and I still use it regularly even for reading around home. The only issue is that you either need to connect to a computer to get files on it or send them via the web when you have access to wifi. I used Calibre to help manage the books on it because I have a lot of unpublished online fiction that I read.

The other kindle I'd look at if you don't want access to the whispernet (which you don't if you're not travelling internationally) is the new Kindle Paperwhite. This is a smaller kindle with touch screen and a built in backlight so that when reading at night you can read without an external light, very handy and gets great reviews.

Otherwise tablets and mobiles are good, but I always found them hard to read for long periods, I love the eink screens for their readability.

What exactly are you wanting to do with your ereader?

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »
I've had a few different eReaders over the years. I've had 2x Kogan e-readers. Their original one (non-touchscreen) was fantastic and I could load all sorts of ebook formats via a SD card. Unfortunately before I left on my last overseas trip I pulled it out to find it frozen and never was able to get it to work again. I also bought an ex-girlfriend the touch version of the kogan e-reader, this was nice to use, but we had issues with the touch screen stopping working and random resets etc.

Before I headed of overseas I needed to get a new ereader so started looking at what was out there. I ended up going with the kindle keyboard with 3g. This meant I could use the free whispernet internationally if I needed to access to a bank account etc online without needing to pay for data roaming. The kindle is great and I still use it regularly even for reading around home. The only issue is that you either need to connect to a computer to get files on it or send them via the web when you have access to wifi. I used Calibre to help manage the books on it because I have a lot of unpublished online fiction that I read.

The other kindle I'd look at if you don't want access to the whispernet (which you don't if you're not travelling internationally) is the new Kindle Paperwhite. This is a smaller kindle with touch screen and a built in backlight so that when reading at night you can read without an external light, very handy and gets great reviews.

Otherwise tablets and mobiles are good, but I always found them hard to read for long periods, I love the eink screens for their readability.

What exactly are you wanting to do with your ereader?

That was very informative I am wanting to do the same thing I do with a book read it camping, in the car, before bed, at home if I get time.  BF says look at tablets cause they do more but my phone does those things but he has a work phone which is not a smart phone so he doesn't have access to those things. My battery life on my phone is terrible so would not read with it as well even if it had a bigger screen.  I would not care if he got a tablet as well as getting an e reader but might be a waste of money then.

Offline Mikeb62

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 02:28:41 PM »
If you like reading regularly get a dedicated ereader. I have ipad, android and windows tablets in family. But we all have a Nook touch ereaders as well. Nook very similar to Kobo, I got them in US 18months ago, but not sold locally. The E Ink display is so much easier on eyes that a TFT screen on a tablet and the battery life is weeks/months. The newer glow models remove the need for external lighting if reading at night. I would probably go that way if I was buying now. JB HIFI has plenty at good prices. The Kobo, Sony etc  all can read "epub" format which is widely available at libraries and online shops. Kindle is limited to "mobi" format which really only Amazon uses. That said it is so easy to buy and instantly download to your Kindle many people fine this perfect.
I prefer to use http://calibre-ebook.com/  this software to manage my books on my pc and just load a few to each family member. Once I have bought a book, Calibre as plugins that can make life easier to share books amongst family.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 02:38:46 PM »
We use the Kindle for reading books.
Very easy on the eyes and a long battery life.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline matthewperk

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 02:41:18 PM »
That was very informative I am wanting to do the same thing I do with a book read it camping, in the car, before bed, at home if I get time.  BF says look at tablets cause they do more but my phone does those things but he has a work phone which is not a smart phone so he doesn't have access to those things. My battery life on my phone is terrible so would not read with it as well even if it had a bigger screen.  I would not care if he got a tablet as well as getting an e reader but might be a waste of money then.

Well if you want something that can replace a book, get an ereader. Tablets are great, I have one that I take away with me, but ereaders are significantly better for reading, they're lighter and their batteries last weeks rather than hours. This means you only need to charge it once before you take it away anywhere, unlike a tablet or phone which is daily or every 2 days.

The advantage of a tablet is that you could play games, browse the web and watch movies, but lets face it you're away. Reading a book is very different in that respect. So just get an ereader.

Have a look at the Kindles, Sonys and new Kobo ereaders. They are all good options. I'd also suggest keeping an eye on gumtree/ebay as you can generally get good condition second hand ereaders very cheap! (that's what I did for my kindle!).

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 02:45:48 PM »
Gosh I love myswag so much information and easier to understand from real people not tech based reviews on websites.   :cheers: :cup:

Offline Jjw1234

• Tent User
E-Readers which one?
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »
One thing Id def recommend is getting a proper kindle case. They fit snugly and offer great protection for the kindle

Offline weso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • be good or be good at it !!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 64eh.com
E-Readers which one?
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
We were going to buy one for Socks but we ended up buying an iPad mini instead so much more value for money as you can do so much more that just ebooks. Which of corse you can get heaps on free books on the iPad just like you can on the kindle !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
64 EH(premier sedan)gone but will never be forgotten, 64VAN(windowless panel van),
2008 Nisan Navara, leisure matters ranger hard floor

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 03:21:30 PM »
We were going to buy one for Socks but we ended up buying an iPad mini instead so much more value for money as you can do so much more that just ebooks. Which of corse you can get heaps on free books on the iPad just like you can on the kindle !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep we use iPad as e reader as well. Perfer the screen.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

BernieS

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »

x2

Kindle for me too. Bought mine from Amazon way before they were available here in Aust. Love it. Download tonnes of books off Amazon.com.  Classics are available for free, recent releases are reasonable to purchase and then of course there's the of recent release freebees.  It's saved me heaps of $$.

Tonnes of info here as well as Kindle models, reviews, pricing etc.  use the scroll bar
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=kindle_dp_comp
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:45:02 PM by BernieS »

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »
My partner brought a Sony, the reason being the library suggested it as it is not locked into a
particular supplier and will work with all formats including library borrows.

Cheers
Leigh
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 03:53:43 PM »
Hey u
I had books on my iPad and hated it so I have gone back to traditional reading. (Books)
 ;D

P.S. I am sorta anti apple but you just can't beat an iPad, just bought a mini iPad.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:56:37 PM by fuji »
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎