Author Topic: When to Travel to Central Aus  (Read 4187 times)

Offline fabulous

• Tent User
When to Travel to Central Aus
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:38:20 AM »
Hi All,

We've started to give some thought to a trip into Central Aus in the middle of the year.  We would prefer to travel outside school holidays so was looking at a trip in June.  Looking at Uluru, Kings Canyon, Palm Valley, Alice Springs Rainbow valley, Chambers Pillar and Mt Dare.  Not necessarily in that order.

I've just become aware of the Finke Desert Rally which is on early June which effects some of the area we are looking at going.

When we did the Oodnadatta Track a couple of years ago, but were advised by many on the road to avoid the rally as the road is closed for a couple of days, and severely chewed up from the race.

Our other thought now is to go a little later, but that may now clash with school holidays.

So, the question is :

How busy is Central Aus mid year during school holidays (June/July)? 

Many Thanks

Phil & Karen
Our Camper

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=5261.0

Our Patrol

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=10214.msg152303#msg152303

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: When to Travel to Central Aus
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:41:28 AM »
How busy is Central Aus mid year during school holidays (June/July)? 

Chockers and it is also peak nomad time too. We did pretty much the same trip during school holidays, never again if we can avoid it.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:43:11 AM »
June is good for flies but cool in the evenings.

We usually go early May, this way all of the Easter trekkers are gone, the tracks are in reasonable condition (still early season) the flies are okay and the nights are usually between 3-10 degrees.

Edit, the nomads are usually confined to the main roads, get off them and explore!

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:57:52 AM »
I would suggest April/May as its usually not to hot and the desert cold hasn't set in.  The Finke track is usually well cut up after the race and very busy over that weekend, I have been there several times that weekend and its not a good time for tourists who are not there for the race.  For several weekends before there is a lot of activity on the track and not a good place to travel.  I am heading that way through Alice in early March then across to the west and back through Alice in mid May to avoid the tourist influx that gets heavier late May and after.  I used to live in Alice and it gets very busy midyear, also around Ayres Rock and Kings Canyon.

Wil
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:34:09 AM »
I was there in May last year and the roads were in good condition. i covered most of the areas you mentioned. If your planning on staying in alice at all it would best to book a week or two out as the nomads are there in droves.

Cheers
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline rosgeog

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:23:39 AM »
The Finke Desert Race is the 13th June long weekend, known in the rest of the country as the Queen's Birthday holiday. Alice is buzzing at that time and if you have the slightest interest on off-road racing it is a great event. You could free camp down the track, watch the race and when all the spectators have gone home continue down to Chambers Pillar. The weather is usually great then except last year we had one of our wettest years ever. Missed the record by about 20mm. School holidays are 21st June to 6th July it is our long mid year break. Four to six weeks either side of the Finke is great weather wise. We live in Alice so nomad influx only hurts the parking in town for us. Hope this helps.
Ross 
Ross

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:54:42 AM »
Go april or setpember. Less crowds and no cold wind.
Living the Dream.

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 10:18:24 AM »
We are going to the Simpson in mid April this year and because some if the people have school kids we are doing it during the holidays.  What I didn't realise is that NSW and Vic school holidays line up this year and that easter is the last weekend of the April holidays (also a 5 day weekend because Easter Sunday public holiday is on Tuesday as ANZAC day is on the Monday).  Usually holidays for the two states are offset by a week.  It may make the holiday periods this year that bit busier with both states having the same times.
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline ferret

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 11:33:55 AM »
We are going to the Simpson in mid April this year and because some if the people have school kids we are doing it during the holidays.  What I didn't realise is that NSW and Vic school holidays line up this year and that easter is the last weekend of the April holidays (also a 5 day weekend because Easter Sunday public holiday is on Tuesday as ANZAC day is on the Monday).  Usually holidays for the two states are offset by a week.  It may make the holiday periods this year that bit busier with both states having the same times.

Just to add to the crowd, Queenslands school hols line up with N.S.W also, so could be a real S@#T fight out there this year >:D
2007 HILUX D4D DUAL CAB
2011 KK PLATINUM

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 03:14:58 PM »
Hi,

We went in June / July school hols a couple of years ago. It was busy but not unbearable. Anywhere off the track was no problem (Palm Valley, Chambers Pillar). Get into Yulara early in the day to avoid mile long (and more) queues (we stopped over the night before at Curtin Springs). Also book ahead for Watarrka if you want a powered site. We booked from Yulara for Alice with no problems (we stayed 8 nights and just did an overnighter with a tent from Alice to Chambers Pillar).

We timed our trip so we could go to the Camel Cup. This is an all day event run day the Lions Club as a family day and was a highlight of out trip. Its the 9th July 2011 and I can thoroughly recommend it. There is also the Henkey on Todd Regatta in August so whatever month you go there is likely to be something on drawing a crowd.

You'll love it. Just go,

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »
I just want to go.....can I  come too...I don't take up much room.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »
You dont take up much room , but  you do have some nasty habits we wont talk about almost as bad as some of mine . I can help get coldies from the Engle for you , I have been in training  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Jim.

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 04:21:09 AM »
Hi all,

When you visit Central Australia don't forget the East Macs, plenty of bush camping, hardly any caravans, no buses full of tourists taking photos of anything that moves. The East Macs are highly underated, full of magnificent ranges, beautiful gorges and cool waterholes and all quite accessable by 4x4 and camper.

Regards to all Jim & Kerrie.

Offline ntpryce

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 05:18:03 PM »
Just do it... otherwise you'll never never know if you never never go!   :cheers:
Proud owner of a new Challenge 'Meridian' off-road Camper Trailer.

:cup: May 2010 POTM Winner :cup: