Author Topic: Camprite water hose replacement...  (Read 4646 times)

V8TL8

Camprite water hose replacement...
« on: January 02, 2011, 07:49:59 PM »
Hi all

Looks like I will soon need to replace the water hose on my Camprite.
The one going from the water tank, thru the floor to the kitchen area.
Looks like woven 1/2 food grade hose.

Mine is 2005 model, the hose looks a bit flat and the material looks a bit cracked at the kinky bit.
I would rather replace now than wait for the big leak...

Local Bunnings, caravan shops etc no go. Admittedly many have been closed over the Xmas period.

In the meantime does anyone have any idea where I can buy these?

ChrisB

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Camprite water hose replacement...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:05:40 PM »
Bunnings has food grade hose, but you'll need to buy it in a 20m roll. It's light blue and found where the garden hoses are.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Diesel Power

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:30:27 PM »
Yeah as D4D said at bunnings or Supercheap sell it, its whiter than the Bunnings stuff but that probably doesnt matter a hoot. The trick is to smell the end of the hose (internals) if you can smell any of the plastic smell it will taint your water. The two mentioned are fine (no smells)
Regards Angus
Work - dedicated or medicated?

1999 HZJ105 GXL Auto Fully kitted. SOLD.
2008 VDJ200 GXL Auto.
2007 Custom built soft floor. SOLD.
2015 Kimberley Karavan Classic. SOLD.
2012 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition.

V8TL8

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »
Thanks chaps

Already have some of the blue food grade hose, when I next have the tanks empty I will have a look and see if it fits. Looks like 1/2" internal so may be OK.

ChrisB

Offline jimsiron

• Swag User
  • 2010 Challenger LS manual, 2011 Discovery OB
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:42:05 PM »
Or try Clark Rubber who sell this type of hose per metre and other size food grade hose.
regards
jimsiron

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 06:36:20 PM »

The hose currently on your camper looks more like air line type hose (used with compressors).  Perhaps you could find an outlet which sells this type of hose. 

V8TL8

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:49:52 PM »
Thanks Gunna Do and jimsirion that gives me 2 more places to look at.
Yes the hose has NTP WP 1.7 MP FOOD CONTACT printed on it so may be made to take some pressure.

Offline fat belly dog

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 11:11:23 PM »
Its on my to do list as well, pull both water tanks out of the TL8 and clean them out check for leaks and replace the hoses, one hose has some kneadit (epoxy filler) on it so I know it must have a leak..

Clark rubber sounds the right place to go.

cheers

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 12:21:27 PM »
Hi Chris,

When replacing the water hose, I suggest that you go with one that is not clear. The white foodgrade hose from Bunnings is a cheap and easily obtainable replacement. The problem with clear hose is that the light transmitted promotes algae growth. I was suprised to see clear hose on the water lines and this was always one job on my "to do" list that I never got around to. All camper/van manufacturers should be aware of this and should never install clear hose on any drinking water line. A cheap and easy way to overcome the clear hose on the underside, between the two tanks, is to put black electrical conduit (the convoluted split type) over the hose. Not only does this protect the hose from stone damage but it blocks the UV light which is the biological issue.

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

V8TL8

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 09:27:57 PM »
Thanks Cap'n !

Have also seen that mentioned on one of these forums (can't remember which one) so will see what other alternatives there are. Seems NB tho' that the hose from the tank to the kitchen can withstand a bit of repetitive flexing. Have seen some blue ones at a boat supply recently but was the wrong size.
Also read that it's better to keep the water tanks full, so no air available to promote growth in long term storeage.
Over the w/e I did a Tank Cleen treatment, followed by two flushes of the water tanks and refill, so for the moment will leave them full.

I see there is black conduiting over the hoses from the filler to the tanks, so that's probably why.
Amazing how one's to do list keep growing, all good fun though!

Offline Digger

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 04:53:08 AM »
The garden water shops have this house on special as the now see rain water tanks , its white not clear saw some in Osbourne Park wa near JBHF before Xmas . I rinse out my tanks and flush them with white vinegar seem to do the trick  :cup: