Author Topic: Engel efficiency question  (Read 4227 times)

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
Engel efficiency question
« on: December 18, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »
I have just set up my 60 ltr combi in the drifta storage box in the CT. I will leave it in here permanently, however due to size restrictions I can't fit the cover to it. I had Luke at drifta cut some custom holes in the DSB for air circulation, so I am not concerned about overheating.

My question is how will not having the insulated cover on affect the fridge's performance? ie cooling and freezing without running all the time, how much does the insulated cover help anyway? being mindful it will always be in the shade of either a tarp over the whole setup or the annex.  
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:58:17 PM by griz066 »
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Engel efficiency question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »
I think that will be ok, if you were real worried, maybe put a computer tower fan in one of the holes. (just a thought)
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 05:46:36 PM »
Exactly what i was thinking, computer fans are great.
Even put one that pushes the air into the fridge in the bottom holes and one that draws air out of the fridge at the top...
Nice set up btw!!

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 07:11:37 PM »

Looks good, but an important reason for a 'computer' fan is to suck HOT air out (not push cool air in) from the electronics and compressor area (unless you have 2 fans)

You will need to have 2 separate areas, one allows the cooling air to be drawn into the fridge electronics etc, the other is the way out for the heated air.
Like the analogy of snorkel and exhaust pipe

To do this, put some very dense foam round the 'exhaust' area of the fridge, to form a 'tunnel' or 'funnel' to the timber box side, with the fan placed so it draws the hot air out of the fridge and pushes it through the (exhaust) hole/s in the box keeping it well away from the (snorkel) cooling air going into the fridge

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:17:00 AM »
Griz,

The insulated covers do work in keeping the fridge at a more stable temperature. I'm not sure of the percentage but I have heard that it is around 15%, meaning that the fridge works 15% lees to maintain the preset temp.

So, given that you are looking at a fan set up, it may be worth your while having both.

Regards

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 06:26:27 AM »
You could aleays set up a small Coolgardie safe to run the Engel in , though water consumption would possibly detract unless you camped near a fresh water stream . The simple way is see how it goes as each camp location will be differant . Give it a go anyhow as the air temp will be lower than ambient  better running ,   Colb Deer  yic.  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline grantnielsen

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 07:12:41 AM »
The main issue is 'Where will you be using it?'

In hot climates get it out of the Ute and under the Annex.

I use mine extensively in the NT... with the cover on... under the Annex and it performs very well on 12vt., even in 35+.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 08:48:52 AM »
It should run fine, the big thing is to get it out of the sun.

The holes you have there will aid with natural convection so I really don't think you'll need fans.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 02:30:44 PM »
It should run fine, the big thing is to get it out of the sun

The holes you have there will aid with natural convection so I really don't think you'll need fans.

Thanks Symon that is what i thought, and yes it will never be in the sun at any time. :cheers:
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 03:44:49 AM »
really shouldn't be a problem ... Ive found the cover really helps with the insulating properties and mine actual would draw less amps when it was in place than not ...but being where you have it should yield the same effect maybe??, love the com fan idea tho ...
My 130 HCPU camper build - (now sold) http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=6733.msg240757#msg240757

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 08:38:09 AM »
I also put one of those sun reflectors on ours or the one in the car when were at the beach etc. We have a cover but it still gets very hot but those reflectors plus the cover work really well.

just on the fans. I have been playing around with our 60ltr as it's fairly hot up up here 37-40 and after a full load of beer is thrown in I can get the over temp error light now and then. I cable ties a computer fan to the exhaust side on the fridge and run it off 12 volt. Well the results were fantastic in that it almost halved the time it took the fridge to get back to temperature. That's not to say the beer is at -1 one yet but it did help power consumption a lot.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/