Author Topic: Tarp over CT and camp site  (Read 11163 times)

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
Tarp over CT and camp site
« on: December 17, 2010, 07:33:06 AM »
Was about to take the CT away for our first adventure this afternoon although with the current batch of storms might postpone until tomorrow morning but have decided to take our tarp to put up over the CT and camp site.
Just wondering how other people set there tarps up. With the tent set up I have a spreader bar to form the ridge and I have a centre pole but I cant use the centre poll with the CT and annex (want the annex walls up as the rain has been driving sideways lately) so any ideas and more importantly pics much appreciated.
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Re: Tarp over CT and camp site
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 07:50:14 AM »
Here you go

GG

Offline Followme1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Follow Me Campers
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 07:58:19 AM »
Wouldn't that flap like crazy in the wind?

George
http://www.followmecampers.com.au

Offline fabulous

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:02:13 AM »
We were out last week on a trip, whilst in Lakes Entrance, it was expected to storm and pour rain, even though we had seasoned our camper, there was a tiny leak last time we were out (Wilson's Prom) again in massive rain (seems to be something about our camping), we put our tarp out over the camper to ensure there was no issue (we hadn't got a chance to put some seam sealer on).

The way we put the tarp up was (as ours it a hard floor), simply connected the tarp to the rear of the camper (the rear once folder out - whilst closed it was at the front) whilst closed, and as the camper opened up, it dragged the tarp over the roof.  It was very easy, and all we had to do was put on some ropes and all was good - didn't move at all.

The rain was pretty noisy on the tarp (as opposed to the canvas).

We want to get to the point that we don't need a tarp, at the moment we would only consider if we were expecting very heavy rain.

Hope this helps.
Our Camper

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=5261.0

Our Patrol

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=10214.msg152303#msg152303

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 08:12:21 AM »
Wouldn't that flap like crazy in the wind?

George
It does a bit but we had over 100mm of rain that weekend and we were able to pack up dry, we only tarp up if we know we are going to get a heap of rain or if we are in one spot for more than 4 days and the weather is warm, the extra protection is worth the hassle of the tarp.

GG

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 08:40:30 AM »

Sorry i don't have any ideas or photos but am trying to also decide on if and how a tarp can be used with the current weather.
We are heading to Straddie between Christmas and New Year and with the storms so frequent at the moment, i am wondering whether to tarp or not.
With a decent tarp set up though we are looking at around $400, not cheap!!

One of the reasons we would tarp is to make the  CT cooler but wouldn't you need an air gap between the CT and tarp for this to work?
I have thought about lying it straight on the CT but wouldn't that then just be for rain protection?

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 09:07:46 AM »
I use one of those "el cheapo" blue Poly tarps for when the heavy rain is due - Still haven't been in one spot long enough to leave it up for sun shield ... note to self - GET OUT MORE !!

Cheers

Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 09:28:18 AM »
My train of thought is to use the CT as a ridge where I can but keep the ends of the tarp a bit higher to create a gap between the canvas and tarp.
My aim is to keep trailer and site as dry as possible plus have the ability to pack up the canvas dry.

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 09:32:25 AM »
Sorry i don't have any ideas or photos but am trying to also decide on if and how a tarp can be used with the current weather.
We are heading to Straddie between Christmas and New Year and with the storms so frequent at the moment, i am wondering whether to tarp or not.
With a decent tarp set up though we are looking at around $400, not cheap!!

One of the reasons we would tarp is to make the  CT cooler but wouldn't you need an air gap between the CT and tarp for this to work?
I have thought about lying it straight on the CT but wouldn't that then just be for rain protection?

Your right in that there should be a gap to allow the air through but you do get some benefit with it just on the roof as the reflective nature of the silver tarp seems to help ours be cooler. Ours is dark blue which was great for light or lack of and also as we traveled over winter it pick up the warmth quickly.

So while the gap would be nice I find it does help with out. As it turned out we had rain once in 6 Months of travelling and that was Dalhousie Springs so it was good to wash some dust off. Also we found out ours was well seasoned as there we no leaks..
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 09:40:32 AM »
My train of thought is to use the CT as a ridge where I can but keep the ends of the tarp a bit higher to create a gap between the canvas and tarp.
My aim is to keep trailer and site as dry as possible plus have the ability to pack up the canvas dry.
You can place some pool noodles between the tarp and the canvas. There cheap and light weight. Might be worth a try. I've never done this maybe some others have!

:cheers:
Rich
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline SUPA105

• Saw it....wanted it....chucked a fit....got it
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 10:52:23 AM »

We use the pool noodles with success for last couple of years....place them over the arch of the roof when the tarp is in place holds them mostly in place.......the insulation gain of the tarp is well worth the effort.....our tarp Zips on to the draw bar side of our softfloor camper and tensioned at other 3 sides.....no extra poles required....has faired many an afternoon storm.

2000 GXL Landcruiser with toy's
2004 Wallaby camper
& bugger all time to get the two together.....

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 11:18:50 AM »
The pool noodle sounds interesting. I might slice 1 down the middle and sit that along the CT ridge and see how it stays in place.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 01:47:56 PM »
This is what we use we adjust the poles depending on rain , sun and wind.
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline JethroT

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 02:11:48 PM »
Put a rope through the noodles with a couple of knots and place them long ways over the V in the ridge,
Good as gold.
Regards
Geoff
Regards, Geoff and Michele

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 05:07:36 PM »
We have 2 multie section fiberglass dome tent poles that cross over the top of the CT . at 1 end they drop in to corner tubes of the CT  then in to  square tube bashed into the ground . The grey plastic tarp  goes over the top with 3 poles at each end  , ropes & pegs . There is plenty of  flex in the wind & air space in the heat  of summer . :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 05:55:02 PM »
I have purchased a 20ft x 20ft Silver tarp off South East Tarps for $99 plus delivery. They are 230GSM and are virgin PE (strong) :) Can't recommend them enough, great to deal with!!
I am going to get some noodles, poles, guy ropes and pegs. Will be a bit of a jigsaw first up i am sure but will be fun  :cheers:

Cancan, we won't get it 100% right the first time but it sure will be worth it when we don't get wet :)
Happy Holidays
Hamish

Offline Murray

• Swag User
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »
I like the pool noodle idea. I use a silver tarp when under trees and for sun shelter and have been concerned about the rubbing along the centre ridge on the canvas. To the pool shop!!

Murray

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2013 Pajero auto diesel & 2000 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 08:39:15 PM »
The pool noodle idea sounds great. So simple too.

I'd have thought that the material would knock out that annoying squeeky sound that polystyrene gives. Obviously I'm wrong about that. Yes?

I'm just cranky cause I recently sold off 4 pool noodles for peanuts at a fund raiser. What a tosser!

I'm also looking into some pole extentions that I've heard about. I think the idea is that these caps sit on top of the existing pole for the tarp. It means you need less ropes & poles.

Anyone heard of these?

Cheers - Wayne  ???
Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »
Maybe this http://campertrailers.org/spreader_bar_support.htm
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 09:10:18 PM »
Should be easy enough to knock up out of a couple of small scrap wood blocks.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 09:13:28 PM »
I like the noodle idea as well....decided not to battle the storms tonight and will head off first thing in the morning...that gives me until beer a clock to play

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 10:02:59 PM »
Do the silver tarp thingy and no, if you tie the sides down it is not noisy, or I am just lucky! ;D
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline SUPA105

• Saw it....wanted it....chucked a fit....got it
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 07:52:27 AM »
Me thinks the price of Pool noodles just went through the roof........can see them in the camping stores now......

Awning Circulation & Venting device......Better than Air Con.....No power needed.......Revolutionary new product......only $79.95 each while stocks last.

Chris
2000 GXL Landcruiser with toy's
2004 Wallaby camper
& bugger all time to get the two together.....

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 05:42:57 AM »
For the ridge, we use a rope strung between 2 "Tri-poles". These poles are long enough to keep the tarp off the ct roof.

Yo need to get the "Tri-poles" - think they are made by Big Foot from a proper camping store, BCF etc don't stock them

Regrads

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline grantnielsen

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 07:31:17 AM »
Slightly Off-Topic!

Watch out for wear if you're in windy conditions. Protect the tent outer from the tarp anyway you can... Noodles etc. :D

Recently, a camp near me had a couple of places on their tent roof wear through.... from the constant tarp rubbing in the windy conditions.

They relied on the tent structure to also support the tarp. The tent outer was pretty much ruined.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 07:34:02 AM by grantnielsen »