Author Topic: Keeping ute canopy cool  (Read 14474 times)

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
Keeping ute canopy cool
« on: November 03, 2018, 04:04:19 PM »
I have a full aluminium canopy I use for camping on the back of my Ranger. I am planning a trip that will see me driving a few long days in the middle of summer with temps of high 30s/low 40s. Car will have 5 people inside so no spare room in the cab.

What do you do to stop the food from cooking in the back? The canopy is insulated with airfoil but I’m not sure that will be enough. Just worried about the bread/fruit etc that doesn’t fit in the fridge. Trying to avoid an esky and ice if possible.

2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Keeping ute canopy cool
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 05:12:35 PM »
Use esky and no ice, will offer some protection for bread etc.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline geopaj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 07:07:50 PM »
That’s what we use in the camper
NT Pajero VRX (My build - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=47893 )

Sar Major Camper Trailer (My Build - http://www.myswag )

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 09:24:49 PM »
Maybe have a look at this special heat reflective paint.
http://www.thermoshield.com.au/thermoshield.html
I have never used it. Just an idea.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 10:57:23 PM »
Is it untreated ali or powder coated?

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 11:17:25 PM »
 Are you going to have  access to fresh water along the trip . another idea but heavy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4N1vSWJabc or a DIY Coolgardie safe made from a milk crate  wrapped in hessian, would need to feed some airflow  over it though .
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:40:15 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 02:12:32 AM »
It's an unpainted canopy, no plans to paint it as it will get (already has) some bush pinstripes, I suppose I could paint just the roof? It does have a roofrack and will have a couple of swags up there which will hopefully reduce the sun's impact a bit. No free flowing air, it is dust and water proof as it sits.

2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 06:51:55 AM »
We just use an esky with no ice and/or a plastic tub that I made a timber lid for.

I believe the key is to pack the perishables in the center of the space. You want to put as much gear between your esky/container and the hot sides of the canopy.

Personally I wouldn’t waste too much time or money trying to insinuate the canopy, unless you do it properly and get something like 50mm thick cool room panels to line the whole thing with.

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 06:52:02 AM »
See how the interior is sort of studded out so to speak. Insulate it, as well the air foil, and line it with some lightweight sheeting. I wouldn't think you could much more than that. maybe something for airflow but then you will potentially introduce dust.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 07:00:38 AM »
Whitworths marine or other and a couple of Seabird scupper vents, one or two at the front,  one / two at the  rear maybe with  filters to put a cool airflow in / hot air out and keep dust and water out as MarkG from here did on his build [ He only used air in on his camper build to keep a positive airflow  ] and wasnt air tight .... https://www.theboatwarehouse.com.au/deck-fittings-hardware/vents/ventilator-seabird/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 07:15:07 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 08:00:11 AM »
Thermo reflective ceramic paints work well but you don’t appear to have enough roof space to make any difference unless you do the doors too. A sheet of tin or ply in the roof rack if you aren’t planning on loading it will make an old land rover style tropical roof.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 08:23:20 AM »
Nab, you could also add a solar exhaust fan to Edz' scoop idea. This will give you an air change every five minutes or so when you're not moving.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Powered-Caravan-Boat-RV-Accessories-Cooling-Exhaust-Fan-Air-Vent-External/112714193689?hash=item1a3e4a1b19:g:uhMAAOSwKBRaxMJw:rk:3:pf:0

I have put a big solar panel underneath the bars of my roof rack. The roof rack is still usable, it keeps the sun off and gives enough juice to keep the fridge battery running.

Keith

200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 08:34:00 AM »
Ive got a plain box on my van, which I cant leave my hand on in summer.
My ute canopy is powder coated, and it is (edit) relatively cool to touch by hand. You'll want to do all of it if you do, not just the roof.
I wish Id done my vans box. The cost of powder coating is reasonably cheap, and probably less than what all the remedial works you'll try to keep the canopy cool.
Just my observations on lessons learnt in life.

Cheers Glen
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:21:57 AM by glenm64 »
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 08:51:41 AM »
You could try polishing the aluminium, I had a bull bar like that once and when I had finished it looked like chrome, might help with reflecting some of the heat, I just used some of this https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/mothers-mag-and-aluminium-polish---141g/1023.html and some elbow grease but would get one of these if I was to do it again https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toolpro-polishing-ball---150mm/386604.html

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 09:11:51 AM »
My canopy is double skinned with a layer of foam in between the inner and outer walls, it makes a decent differance but still gets warm but not ridiculously hot inside.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
I have a canvas canopy over a steel mesh frame and when we first went north it heated up quickly compared to my old steel canopy. In an effort to keep the fridge and food stuff cooler I lined it with Foilboard, which is a 7mm foam sheet with a thin reflective foil on both sides. You can certainly feel the difference. I am lucky to live reasonably close to the factory so it wasn't a hardship to get some.

I also have some vents in the front of the canopy, which certainly helps keep the dust out, but obviously lets the warm air in. I believe that it would stop a non vented canopy from getting to extreme temps though.

As far as your food goes, we have had a few trips up into warm to hot weather for up to 3 months, and we haven't lost any tucker due to spoilage (touch wood). Of course anything that needs to be refrigerated like meat, fresh milk, some salad stuff, dips and spreads, some containers once opened, and at least a dozen beers are all in the fridge, but things that would normally sit in cupboards at home we keep in a crate.

Extra beer, long life milk, etc sits in an uninsulated crate and gets swapped in the fridge as we use the stuff already in there. Groceries are uninsulated as well and get used when needed. About the only thing that takes a beating out of the fridge is the bread. Not a lot you can do there when you take it out of the packet to make a sandwich and watch it dry out before you can spread anything on it, just like a toasted sandwich i suppose.

By the way, the steel canopy was powder coated and from memory was never too hot to touch, as Glen said.

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 11:09:39 AM »
Mine is a white painted ally box with a RTT on top that provides a convenient bit of shade. No vents.

It doesn't get too hot inside and the fridge functions in there quite well.  Veggies I stick in a plastic box and cover with wet newspaper or a tea towel, but we resuppled every 3-4 days, so nothing went too limp.