Author Topic: Cape York Tinny?  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
Cape York Tinny?
« on: April 01, 2019, 06:23:11 AM »
Looking for people’s thoughts on taking a tinny to the Cape.

We have a Campomatic with boat loader and a 3.7m tinny. 20hp is on a slide. Set up is pretty easy.

Just wondering how much people have used their tinny’s afte taking them to the Cape?

We are a family of 5, kids really like exploring and boating, more so than fishing.

I thought we we get good use at Tinaroo, Daintree, Punsand Bay.

Interested to hear from people who have taken tinnys us there and what sort of use you got for the effort of getting it there.

We have had several trips to the Cape, thought this might add a new dimension.
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Cape York Tinny?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 12:55:44 PM »
Every second car has a tinny on it up there as you would have noticed, only the size varies, would be pretty pointless dragging a tinny all the way up to the Cape and not use it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:59:39 PM by Redback »
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 01:55:54 PM »
Hi Watty, I could not go up the Cape without a tinny, and a 3,7m with a 20 hp is just perfect size, I have done many trips up there with that size boat, We had a ball crossing rivers and walking along beaches, going crabbing and fishing, just looking around you will see some big crocs, Thess days I take up a 5m tinny so I can go a lot further, and check out more places, and fish offshore further, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer
The following users thanked this post: Watty2975

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 03:55:26 PM »
Agree with Craig, a tinny is a must on any cape trip for me.

I took a 3.5m with 18hp Tohatsu to fish Temple Bay for almost 3 weeks and a few days at Princess Charlotte Bay on the way home.
Had no dramas in the open water going around the headland to get to the outer creeks at Temple and did the long runs through the creek out to the mouth for big grunter at Princess Charlotte.

Just had to be careful with the resident snapping handbag when launching and retrieving off the beach. 
The following users thanked this post: Watty2975, Craig Tomkinson

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 07:42:25 PM »
l wouldn't set foot anywhere near a  boat ramp/river edge / or swamp land . Thats just me  , l have watched a 5.5M  Crock swim up a river in the NT  , lf you want to put 5 bods in a 10Ft Tinnie Up North

Good Luck .

Buts That's Just Me                                               :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 04:28:14 AM »
3,7m is a good size for two or 3 people

Offline avotrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 08:35:05 PM »
A tinny adds a whole new dimension to the Cape experience. From catching great fish to exploring isolated islands, seeing turtles, spanish macs jumping and more.

When launching, have a good look around for any signs of crocs and keep the boat between you and the water at all times. Don't EVER wade into the water or just hang around the waters edge.

When on the water, always keep a look out and use your commonsense and avoid doing anything not smart like standing up (making it unstable) and dangling arms and legs overboard. Watch out for the afternoon wind chop around Punsand as it can get quite strong swinging in from the SE.

Your probably in more danger of having a car accident on the PDR etc than of being harassed by a croc, so watch out for that as well, as some people drive like lunatics up there!

And most importantly, have a great time!

:cheers: Avo
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 08:39:54 PM by avotrol »
GU Patrol with home away from home.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 08:26:39 AM »
Good places to use your tinny will depend on what time of the year you are going up the cape, , as from April through to August right along the east coast it blows for days with 25knot trade winds, but every now and it drops off, I have seen 90% of the Cape over the last 37 years of going up there, What I do now is go to one place for 3 to 4 weeks on the west coast were I can fish and explore every day as the wind is not as bad, places like Pennefather river, Mapoon, Janie creek, Skarden river , Colman river, Karumba, Batava landing at red knob, Weipa, and on the east coast Bathurst head, but they do not open the road out there till late in the season, Craig
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 08:32:49 AM by Craig Tomkinson »