Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 117428 times)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #300 on: December 11, 2015, 02:48:43 PM »
Nope. deleted mine months ago and never to return.. Although the spank I work with thought it would be funny to upgrade the spare  admin PC to 10... hes now been yelled at by management  :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
OK, when I installed the GWX control panel I used it to clean out the GWX crap and delete the GWX folder and it reported that all was clean, but after doing the next win8 update yesterday, it found more GWX stuff again. I've got it running in monitor mode to automatically tell me if any more GWX cr*p gets installed anyway.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline MrEMan

• Swag User
    • Our Adventures
« Reply #301 on: December 11, 2015, 04:33:32 PM »
What does it block ?

Visit any of your favourite websites including social media that are covered in advertising and you'll see the difference  ;D

Regards
2002 Prado & 2014 Johnno's Off Road Deluxe

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #302 on: December 11, 2015, 06:51:09 PM »
Visit any of your favourite websites including social media that are covered in advertising and you'll see the difference  ;D

Regards

I hate that stuff......I'll give firefox a go ( used it a couple of yrs ago ) and download the blocker thing !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #303 on: December 11, 2015, 07:34:20 PM »
I hate that stuff......I'll give firefox a go ( used it a couple of yrs ago ) and download the blocker thing !!
A good Addon(AddBlockPlus) for FF.
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Rocky and Bullwinkle

• Tent User
« Reply #304 on: December 12, 2015, 01:17:31 PM »
Bit the bullet, formatted my SSD and cloned it again from the original disk, so back to 8.1 much happier.
2015 Isuzu D Max
2015 Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
The other toy is a
2008 SeaDoo RXTX 255HP

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #305 on: March 16, 2016, 03:24:06 PM »
Righto you IT experts, here's a question for you. I installed Windows 10 in July last year and all has been going reasonably well but Windows 10 has locked out Norton 360 which is my anti virus system. So i set Chrome as my default browser, where norton works, and all was well. I use the Norton "Identity Safe" for all my logins so i needed this. Yesterday, Chrome was removed as my default browser, obviously by Windows, and when i go into "Settings" it shows Chrome as an option, but won't let me set it as default. It also removed the Chrome icons from my screen. Any helpful suggestions to help me sort this out??
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:26:31 PM by Robbo »

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #306 on: March 16, 2016, 07:01:01 PM »
Thats what has stopped me from installing on main desktop, the fact it seems that even if you want to keep special settings MS will default to what THEY want.
I have Kaspersky suite & had Shitloads of problems when installing W10 on laptop, finally had to delete & reinstall program.
I'm the other end of it scale so sorry cant offer anything more.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline Rocky and Bullwinkle

• Tent User
« Reply #307 on: March 18, 2016, 04:50:45 AM »
Windows 10 caused nothing but problems on my laptop, not enough memory warnings, etc. Its a HP Envy 17, i7 quad core, 16 GB ram, 4 GB video ram, 2 x 1 tb HDD's but it saying under powered very happy back with win 8.1.
2015 Isuzu D Max
2015 Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
The other toy is a
2008 SeaDoo RXTX 255HP

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #308 on: March 18, 2016, 08:29:04 AM »
Windows 10 caused nothing but problems on my laptop, not enough memory warnings, etc. Its a HP Envy 17, i7 quad core, 16 GB ram, 4 GB video ram, 2 x 1 tb HDD's but it saying under powered very happy back with win 8.1.
:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #309 on: March 18, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »
Its a HP Envy 17, i7 quad core, 16 GB ram, 4 GB video ram, 2 x 1 tb HDD's but it saying under powered

That's the clincher as far as I'm concerned thanks Rocky  :D

The power & so on of your laptop is basically equivalent to the 2 PCs (1 is pretty old though  :-[) & 3 laptops we have in the house combined!  :o

& if you reckon that you haven't got enough vroom to run W10, then I'm not even going to think about it! (not that I was too excited about the prospect in the first place  >:D)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2016, 03:31:14 PM »
Reading people's experiences and comparing to my experience with three machines, it is very machine specific. I even managed to load Win10 onto an 8yo dual core machine with only 2 Gb of ram without any bleating about resources, runs fine certainly as well as could be expected. Certainly better than Vista that it came with and possibly a little better than 8.1. I must admit I was surprised that it was deemed compatible with Win 10. Out of the three, the only problem was with USB drivers on an ASUS Zen book. I used 7 at work and both 8.1 and 10 load and shut down faster. All of these were the pro versions, perhaps this has been the difference but I don't see why.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #311 on: April 25, 2016, 02:45:00 PM »
I notice that a lot of Desktops for sale now come with a version of Win 10 on a USB Flash Drive.
Can you run it from the flash drive without actually installing anything, just like Ubantu ??
I am looking for a new machine soon, but have Win 7 disc I want to use.
I cbf buying and assembling another machine so wish to buy without an Op System.
Am I asking too much?

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #312 on: April 25, 2016, 03:45:45 PM »
I notice that a lot of Desktops for sale now come with a version of Win 10 on a USB Flash Drive.
Can you run it from the flash drive without actually installing anything, just like Ubantu ??
I am looking for a new machine soon, but have Win 7 disc I want to use.
I cbf buying and assembling another machine so wish to buy without an Op System.
Am I asking too much?

Probably. 

You will get the chance to choose, if the dealer/sales person is at all reasonable about it.
Can't see anyone at Hardly Normal going to the trouble to help with this.  They'd just say here it is, it works ok.
You want something else, you fix it.  Don't expect any sort of support if you change the OS yourself.
Besides, the OS is stored on the Hard Drive.
Just get a new hard drive, and slave it to your current one, if the rest is ok.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Kangaron

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #313 on: April 25, 2016, 05:03:09 PM »
Present components are showin their age. A quad amd cpu, outdated ram &  gpu, slow hard drives etc. Its time to update all but am happy with 7.
So getting back to the original question re retailers and Win 10  on a flash drive, is it their way of keeping MS happy and still selling systems to keep the geeks happy.
Fyi I usually deal with pc case gear.
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:11:38 PM by Kangaron »

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #314 on: April 25, 2016, 06:10:44 PM »
Have you called Computer and Parts Land in Ferntree Gully Road.  Near Notting Hill Pub.
They do parts and system assembly.  They also have entries in the Green guide Classifieds.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #315 on: April 25, 2016, 06:13:52 PM »
Just hit up MSY for the bits and assemble ya own and install as ya go..

Although its getting hard to beat some of the deals on ebay on puters...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Kangaron

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #316 on: April 25, 2016, 06:40:46 PM »
I'm aware of my options in a custom build thanks men, just would like an answer so I can make a decision accordingly.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #317 on: April 25, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »
Ok, sounds like cost and not assembling it yourself.
Your the one who makes the decision about outlay.
Also, Bruce, myself and others have proved that a bargain to one isn't a bargain to someone else.
It's a suck it and see.  You won't know until you give it a try.
Plus it's the use you put the 'puter too, when your not on the forum.

If your using a business already, go and have a chat with them.
Never know they might do you a deal for return business.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline Kangaron

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #318 on: April 25, 2016, 07:52:54 PM »
Cost is not an issue, neither is time. Just wanted the info whilst everything was closed, and thought someone here may have the knowledge.
Guess I'll ring them tomorrow.
Thanks anyway.

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #319 on: April 26, 2016, 09:50:24 PM »

You've probably rang 'em by now, and finally gotten your answer, but just in case....

My educated guess, would be no....their flash drive 10 won't run from the stick, simply a case of boot off the flash drive, and install Win 10 over the 8/8.1
I see a lot are advertising as a 'free upgrade to Win 10' - which I PMSL at, because it's free anyway   ::)  but it's a good gimmick  lol  it's just their way of being your typical lazy salesmen, get the customer to do the work....and pay for the privilege!

But having said that - and this is why I've said my educated guess above, I wouldn't be the least surprised if some typical moronic office worker somewhere has hit on the idea of being even lazier, and cut productivity time down, thus saving $$$, and see it as a way of the future to tie up a USB port and have computers run off a flash drive!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:52:35 PM by bobnrob »
Bob and Robyn

Offline Kangaron

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #320 on: April 26, 2016, 10:36:32 PM »
I did what I said I would never do again, bought the bits and put it together, only took a couple of hours.
Am on it now.
Always nice on a fresh install.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #321 on: May 18, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »
Well Im not sure what happened, But it seems Windows 10 self installed while I was out this morning, Closed out of programs I was using like normal and left home with the computer running and showing normal windows 7 desktop / came home to find a black screen with a blue circle  " upgrading windows " at 80%..
 Couldnt find a way to stop it installing and wasnt sure if I shut the computer down at the power, I would lose all my stuff so just went ahead and agreed to finish the install.
No one else at home so its got me stuffed how it did it by itself, though the last few shut downs it was showing updates to be installed symbol on the shut down icon .
Heres hoping we havent lost any important imformation . Anyone else had this happen ? .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #322 on: May 18, 2016, 10:09:23 AM »
Well Im not sure what happened, But it seems Windows 10 self installed while I was out this morning, Closed out of programs I was using like normal and left home with the computer running and showing normal windows 7 desktop / came home to find a black screen with a blue circle  " upgrading windows " at 80%..
 Couldnt find a way to stop it installing and wasnt sure if I shut the computer down at the power, I would lose all my stuff so just went ahead and agreed to finish the install.
No one else at home so its got me stuffed how it did it by itself, though the last few shut downs it was showing updates to be installed symbol on the shut down icon .
Heres hoping we havent lost any important imformation . Anyone else had this happen ? .
:cup: :cup: :cup: that's awesome :cup: :cup: :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #323 on: May 18, 2016, 10:15:07 AM »

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/10/windows-10-upgrade-installing-automatically-on-some-windows-7-8-systems/

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #324 on: May 18, 2016, 10:19:53 AM »
Quote from: paceman
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/10/windows-10-upgrade-installing-automatically-on-some-windows-7-8-systems/

'For those not wanting to make the switch to Windows 10 just yet, all is not lost; the installer does require human intervention to actually proceed, so you won't run the risk of waking up to find your PC running a different operating system.
:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: Long live the overlord Microsoft.  :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

' In the recent Windows update, this option was checked as default; this was a mistake and we are removing the check.' Dated: Oct 16, 2015 5:45am
Well obviously not!

Do this before its too late everyone else...
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-7-to-10-gwx-how-to-remove.html
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home