Poll

Was/Is your experience?

Great
Good
So so
Poor
Pulling teeth was a better experience

Author Topic: NBN. What is your experience so far.  (Read 127576 times)

Offline Outbeck

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: NBN. What is your experience so far.
« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2018, 10:39:19 PM »
NBN? Lol
I haven't even got ADSL.
This reply is brought to you courtesy of my mobile hotspot.
I think I'm up to the 5th 6 month delay of fixed wireless and I expect the 6th delay in about 2 months.
I have a old dial-up satellite dish on my roof but am told by the twits at NBNco that I'm ineligible for NBN Satellite.
There was no reason given why I was ineligible for NBN satellite, just a whole page of nauseating spin (by the way, the guy down the road has it).
I'm in the Corangamite electoral area that received a huge amount of funding for NBN in the region at the last election.
Still no internet.
Just look forward to the next 6th month postponement and the next and the next.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #201 on: May 09, 2018, 11:37:40 PM »
Needs another category in the survey,

'Can't complain, no-one would believe me if I did.'
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2018, 07:15:13 AM »
On Monday  Saw a guy out the front checking my pit and went out to ask what’s up and he told me he had just switched me over. That was another surprise.

So you didn't actually apply to be switched across ???

That's a bit strange ??? I reckon the reason your NBN isn't working is because they've tried hooking it up to the wrong address - the tech has done things at your place, when he's supposed to fixing up Mr Jones at number 22! >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2018, 07:43:37 AM »

That's a bit strange ??? I reckon the reason your NBN isn't working is because they've tried hooking it up to the wrong address - the tech has done things at your place, when he's supposed to fixing up Mr Jones at number 22! >:D

there is only a fixed amount of time that you can voluntarily sign up to be switched over to the NBN (once your area is NBN-ready) before they will switch off the old copper connections...

your area should have been notified that the mandatory switch-over date was coming up... doesn't always happen, though...

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2018, 07:51:38 AM »
Yeah, but it's supposed to be 18 months from Ready For Service till switch off (although some areas have apparently been as short as 6 months)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2018, 07:57:56 AM »
Yeah, but it's supposed to be 18 months from Ready For Service till switch off (although some areas have apparently been as short as 6 months)

and that's why i put my 'should' in italics...  ;D

have heard horror stories about areas being switched over within a month with no notification at all...  ???

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #206 on: May 10, 2018, 02:50:51 PM »

Sorry if it was not clear. I did apply to be switched but was told one date, then that was postponed. Then they did it.

Not really bothered about that, a minor inconvenience while I waited two days for the modem to arrive.

Issue is it doesn’t work and the iSP tells me they need to run checks on the line etc and maybe check in the house or the modem may  be faulty or ....

And I am on a plane later today so have decided  to just leave it till I get back.

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #207 on: May 10, 2018, 04:16:57 PM »
Sorry if it was not clear. I did apply to be switched but was told one date, then that was postponed. Then they did it.

Not really bothered about that, a minor inconvenience while I waited two days for the modem to arrive.

Issue is it doesn’t work and the iSP tells me they need to run checks on the line etc and maybe check in the house or the modem may  be faulty or ....

And I am on a plane later today so have decided  to just leave it till I get back.

;D ;D ;D

Aint technology grand ... I have been turning the modem on and off through the day and it has sprung to life!

Onthe basic plan I am getting 11Mbps compared with 4 (on a very good day) on the ADSL.

Oh joy.

;D ;D ;D

Charlie Brown

« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2018, 10:50:51 AM »
wouldn't touch them with a 50 foot pole... service, speed and overall management is s**t, IMO...

i moved from iinet (tpg sub now) to aussie broadband and haven't looked back...

no peak hour slowness, totally transparent company who actually publish their CVC graphs (link below) so you can see how they are performing:

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/cvc-graphs/

they don't over-subscribe their links and have a policy of leaving a decent percentage free to allow for spikes in traffic...

in your case, bird, $79 per month gets you a 50mb plan, unlimited data...

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/residential/residential-internet/nbn/

aussie-based support as well...

hard to go past...  i'm on a 100mb FTTN plan, am about 500m from the node and get a rock solid 68-70mb any time of the day or night...

oldies are on a fixed wireless 50mb plan and get 46-48mb any time...

Haven’t been reading this thread as thought It would be years until we got NBN. Well surprise, surprise, lots of NBN contractors down the road and have now been told the end of June.  Nice  :cup:

After reading the above, and following some of your other posts, I took your advice.  Very friendly help desk staff and we are booked for an aussiebroadband connection.  Yah!

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #209 on: May 11, 2018, 11:15:09 AM »
Haven’t been reading this thread as thought It would be years until we got NBN. Well surprise, surprise, lots of NBN contractors down the road and have now been told the end of June.  Nice  :cup:

After reading the above, and following some of your other posts, I took your advice.  Very friendly help desk staff and we are booked for an aussiebroadband connection.  Yah!

i should have put a disclaimer in there... :)

i (and my father) have been very happy with their service so far...

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2018, 11:20:13 AM »
Quote from: paceman
i should have put a disclaimer in there... :)

i (and my father) have been very happy with their service so far...
There are some fantastic deals out there now too.
but not all ISP have great reputations in all areas/suburbs/regions
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2018, 12:14:09 PM »
There are some fantastic deals out there now too.
but not all ISP have great reputations in all areas/suburbs/regions

very true...

but with someone like aussie broadband, you can get ALL the facts:  price, support structure and real-time performance (ie:  through their CVC graphs)

it's a waste of time/money having a great financial deal, but the actual service is rubbish...

i don't think it is a coincidence that the large ISP's don't publish their CVC information because it would sometimes (in some areas) make for horrific viewing...

as always, YMMV, and consumers need to do what is best for their individual situation...

asking questions is a good start and not just following along with everyone else...

Charlie Brown

« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2018, 05:47:06 PM »
and not just following along with everyone else...

Now you tell me  ;D

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #213 on: May 13, 2018, 10:26:55 PM »
Just did a speedtest on our system which is wireless linked to a telstra cable modem.
Download speed was 22 and upload 5.5.

Not great at all.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2018, 07:03:19 AM »
Well bit the bullet and signed up with Aussie Broadband (thanks to all the good advice in this thread). No 1 daughter was pushing hard for Optus as apparently they gave you a Fetch (?) box. Signed up for an extra 10 bucks to get home phone and free calls with the existing number and will see after awhile if this is needed or not.
Emails and texts are telling me that it will be connected on the 20th so now waiting to see if all the good reports are true for me.

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2018, 07:42:37 AM »
Well bit the bullet and signed up with Aussie Broadband (thanks to all the good advice in this thread). No 1 daughter was pushing hard for Optus as apparently they gave you a Fetch (?) box. Signed up for an extra 10 bucks to get home phone and free calls with the existing number and will see after awhile if this is needed or not.
Emails and texts are telling me that it will be connected on the 20th so now waiting to see if all the good reports are true for me.
I went with Aussie Broadband as well. Seems all right. Very easy to deal with.  Speed test shows aprox. 4 fold increase in speed but actual load time on wireless doesn't seem any better tjan adsl. Ported my landline as well but I don't think we'll keep it. Might ditch and put the money towards Stan or such.
Cheers,  Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2018, 07:45:59 AM »
Can’t complain about our Telstra nBN. It seems faster than most and doesn’t drop out much. It does what I want from it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2018, 09:57:21 AM »
I recently moved house and it was typical telstra
- Move request placed on the 24/05 for a move date of 01/06. Thought this might be a bit tight but they will let me know if it isn't doable
- Move in and it all seems to be working, couldn't believe the move went that smoothly
- 4 days later everything dies except the 4G backup, OK they are doing the change over, I will let it go for a bit
- 14/07 rang, call lasted over an hour with no luck. By the time I got through to the department I needed to speak to (fourth transfer i think) they had gone home for the day
- 21/07 rang, cracked the Shits as it has taken so long. Told the rpevious owner had cancelled the conenction as of 21/07 and they could not proceed with t he move until then. They will schedule the internet and foxtel now as an urgent priority. I told them their prioritisation was amazing as the foxtel guy was onsite at the same time I was on the phone. Turns out foxtel could process the first move request but not Telstra.
- 28/07 was having a whinge to a guy at work. He sent a few text messages to a mate who works at a Telstra shop and by the time I got home had internet again!!!!
- 04/07 get a call from Telstra saying they have sent my modem and once I pick it up call them back......... DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING, IT IS ALL WORKING. But sir in cannot work without the modem, let me check now for you.... So you have a modem plugged in and your connection is active. REALLY?????

Now the discussion around fixed wireless is another thing all together.
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #218 on: July 21, 2018, 10:54:54 AM »
Got our NBN connected yesterday with Aussie and wanted to share a couple of things that i was advised by Aussie this morning.
Everything seemed to go well when we hooked the modem up. Am now getting 26Mps so more than happy. I rang their technical people though and they told me two things i hadn't heard or seen discussed anywhere before

1. My existing Panasonic cordless phone now won't ring out even though it receives calls. Was advised that the Panasonics won't work through VOIP as they dial too quick for the modem to recognise the numbers. Plugged an old Tesltra handset and it works so it sounds like they were on the money. Wish i knew this beforehand though

2. Even though my 26Mps is a massive improvement from my previous ADSL it is not the 50Mps that I signed up for. Was asked do i have other phone outlets in the house. Apparently every other outlet (being used or not) takes away from your speed. I told him that i am pretty happy with 26 so no big deal to which he replied that the other outlets will be a problem in the future (could be months or longer but it will happen). Some sort of corrosion, deterioration issue

Would be interested to know from those of you more knowledgeable than me with this NBN stuff if you have heard of the above or if you reckon I have been mislead a bit. With both of the issues above the service guy didn't hesitate and sounded like he knew what he was talking about

Jeez its hard being a tech retard

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #219 on: July 21, 2018, 12:49:13 PM »
Got our NBN connected yesterday with Aussie and wanted to share a couple of things that i was advised by Aussie this morning.
Everything seemed to go well when we hooked the modem up. Am now getting 26Mps so more than happy. I rang their technical people though and they told me two things i hadn't heard or seen discussed anywhere before

1. My existing Panasonic cordless phone now won't ring out even though it receives calls. Was advised that the Panasonics won't work through VOIP as they dial too quick for the modem to recognise the numbers. Plugged an old Tesltra handset and it works so it sounds like they were on the money. Wish i knew this beforehand though

2. Even though my 26Mps is a massive improvement from my previous ADSL it is not the 50Mps that I signed up for. Was asked do i have other phone outlets in the house. Apparently every other outlet (being used or not) takes away from your speed. I told him that i am pretty happy with 26 so no big deal to which he replied that the other outlets will be a problem in the future (could be months or longer but it will happen). Some sort of corrosion, deterioration issue

Would be interested to know from those of you more knowledgeable than me with this NBN stuff if you have heard of the above or if you reckon I have been mislead a bit. With both of the issues above the service guy didn't hesitate and sounded like he knew what he was talking about

Jeez its hard being a tech retard

both of those issues are not unheard of and not unreasonable...

the outlet issue is pretty common and some people end up getting their whole house redone with comms cable to stop any issues in the future...

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #220 on: July 21, 2018, 01:08:16 PM »
When mine was done, the sparkie disconnected the line in and ran it to a distribution patch panel that I already have installed.
Lucky there was a vacant spot, because he used the vacant spot  as the line from the street to the modem.
We put a piggyback double socket adapter, modular type, into the modem and ran patch lead to the original wiring in the house (patch panel).
We then plugged a Uniden walk around phone into the modem via the adaptor as well.
I can still use all the original phones through the NBN Modem, Telstra touchfone as well as the Uniden.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Poita

• Swag User
« Reply #222 on: July 25, 2018, 11:51:55 AM »
I gave up waiting and after all the horror stories my friends were going through, I went to Uniti fixed wireless. From initial phone call to having it all up and working was about 1 week. Now I'm getting unlimited 52MB/22MB with a 7ms ping all for $69/month. Heaps better than any of my fiends on NBN. The whole system has got to be one of the biggest project embarrassments Australia has every embarked on.

Offline RJD

• Swag User
« Reply #223 on: July 25, 2018, 12:18:18 PM »
We connected the other day with telstra.  We had adsl prior and our typical speeds were around 450-500mbs and it was costing us $130 a month for unlimited download and all domestic calls.

Our speeds went up to 1200-1500mbs (Paying for typical night time speeds of 50kbs) and our bill reduced to $99 for unlimited download and all domestic calls. 

We will never get the speeds we are paying for as our node is approx 1200m to 1.5km from our house. We are getting a better service than what we had with our adsl and it is $30 a month cheaper so we are better off than what we had.

Cheers,

Russell

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #224 on: July 25, 2018, 12:40:22 PM »
https://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/nbn-write-down-appears-inevitable-s-and-p-20180724-p4ztae.html
I wouldn't be surprised if 6G is a thing before I get NBN based on the current delays (originally supposed to have access 6 months ago, latest is it's still 12 months away)