Poll

Was/Is your experience?

Great
Good
So so
Poor
Pulling teeth was a better experience

Author Topic: NBN. What is your experience so far.  (Read 127576 times)

Offline westvic

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: NBN. What is your experience so far.
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2017, 08:43:06 AM »
Getting there if half the fun

The other half is a cold beer when you do.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2017, 12:31:02 PM »
ours keeps dropping out  lately.. ****in annoying as hell
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2017, 01:37:53 PM »
the ISP's having to purchase CVC from the NBN is one of the real reasons that congestion even happens in the first place.  other pricing models around the world don't use this pricing model...

an interesting article about the benefits and differences with the CVC pricing model...

also shows that the NBN recognised the CVC pricing issues and are now offering a 'CVC Discount pricing model'...

https://www.itwire.com/telecoms-and-nbn/79488-telcos-can-make-speed-problem-disappear,-insists-tasmanian-isp.html

all that needs to happen is for ISP's to purchase more CVC, at the greatly discounted rate, for congestion to effectively disappear.

Offline Old65

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Hard Floor Camper
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »
Our FTTN NBN connection works ok with about 22 down 5 up. It can go higher but I'm not paying another 20/month.It drops out more often than our old ADSL2 connection and is no faster .The main concerns are the phone line is now dependant on power and the house alarm can no longer ring out if the power is turned off.I'm also not convinced the FTTN cabinets have battery backup. One of the power phases went out last week and even though the modem was not on that phase we immediately lost phone and internet which suggests the cabinet was on the failed phase and had no backup.
    Security wise it was much better with UPS home security systems and ADSL2+.
1996 80 series with 1HD-FTE auto and 2009 Cub Supermatic Escape XTD Transcon Pack

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2017, 02:14:18 PM »
No offence is intended at all, but those worried about home phone issues if the power drops out are likely to be of our older generations. Who in Australia does not have a mobile phone? And MANY people no longer even have a home line anyway, and live with just a mobile. The fixed line home phone is a disappearing thing. 8)

And its funny to hear people saying its slower than the old ADSL2 - but then they are only paying for the cheapest download speed. Pay a bit more and you can have lightning fast speeds.

NBN was a dumb thought bubble from the days of Conroy. F*cking expensive and flawed.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2017, 02:26:35 PM »
No offence is intended at all, but those worried about home phone issues if the power drops out are likely to be of our older generations. Who in Australia does not have a mobile phone? And MANY people no longer even have a home line anyway, and live with just a mobile. The fixed line home phone is a disappearing thing. 8)
the issue is a lot of Aussie is still a blackspot and has no mobile signal.. so people still need home phones :(
But you are correct, and there was an article recently about scrapping public phones too... don't remember the last time I saw a public phone :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2017, 02:36:20 PM »
the issue is a lot of Aussie is still a blackspot and has no mobile signal.. so people still need home phones :(
But you are correct, and there was an article recently about scrapping public phones too... don't remember the last time I saw a public phone :(
True and a fair point, blackspots do exist. If I lived in one, I'd be living with a satellite phone, as well as the landline.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2017, 02:52:20 PM »
And its funny to hear people saying its slower than the old ADSL2 - but then they are only paying for the cheapest download speed. Pay a bit more and you can have lightning fast speeds.

NBN was a dumb thought bubble from the days of Conroy. F*cking expensive and flawed.

not funny at all when you can have a top-of-the-line FTTP connection, and because of congestion, the speeds are reduced to less than ADSL2.  unfortunately, all too common ATM...

in some cases, you could spends hundreds more a month and not see an improvement.

the NBN, in a vacuum, is a great idea for the nation moving into the 21st century.  offers so much for business and for consumers.

it should have been as originally planned, a true fibre to the premises (FTTP) rollout to replace the copper network and be run by the government, with retail service providers at the next level up.

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2017, 03:21:58 PM »
not funny at all when you can have a top-of-the-line FTTP connection, and because of congestion, the speeds are reduced to less than ADSL2.  unfortunately, all too common ATM...

in some cases, you could spends hundreds more a month and not see an improvement.

the NBN, in a vacuum, is a great idea for the nation moving into the 21st century.  offers so much for business and for consumers.

it should have been as originally planned, a true fibre to the premises (FTTP) rollout to replace the copper network and be run by the government, with retail service providers at the next level up.
"As originally planned" - as originally planned by Conroy it NEVER had a business case released. It was going to cost $50Billion+++ and never be economically viable.

I agree - in a vacuum - it is a great idea, no dispute there. But when the costs were magnitudes greater than the benefits the case for it never stacked up.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

Offline MadMarv

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2017, 05:31:16 PM »
Had iinet cable for about last 8 years really happy with the speeds although starting to show age .... online games starting to slow ..... switch over to NBN and all great .... great d/load and upload speeds couldnt be happier .... loads quicker
Regards

Marv

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2017, 06:22:04 PM »
"As originally planned" - as originally planned by Conroy it NEVER had a business case released. It was going to cost $50Billion+++ and never be economically viable.

I agree - in a vacuum - it is a great idea, no dispute there. But when the costs were magnitudes greater than the benefits the case for it never stacked up.

considering the benefits of fibre and potentially unlimited usage cases and speed increases, benefits would have far outweighed the costs.

some people saying that they won't use the speed is not a logical argument for businesses and consumers as a whole.  look at what is already being achieved with the higher speeds in many different (and newly created) industries.

one of the issues with this type of infrastructure is that some benefits would not be realised, or even thought of, for years.  that's the nature of this project.

sometimes governments need to build infrastructure that won't bring them money.  this would have been such infrastructure.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:23:58 PM by paceman »

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2017, 08:48:50 AM »
2.5 meg download...4.5 upload.   30 years as a tech with mongrels from Telstra and they are still screwing me...
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »
Quote from: rossm
The regulator arrives at last ... bit like the NBN, bit slow at times

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/competition-finally-watchdog-bites-down-on-terrible-advertising-for-nbn-20170821-gy0o8a.html

Honestly... what difference do you think it will make? it only says for them to change their advertising.. not to do anything useful... like give decent speeds at a decent price... or decent service... or fix ****ups the same year they happen.. or what appears to be a std issue of people get hooked to NBN... it works well but 2 days later it is dead and takes 2 weeks to fix.

About as useful as naming and shaming both fuel companies that we already know are arse ****ing us...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2017, 04:57:59 PM »
Honestly... what difference do you think it will make? it only says for them to change their advertising.. not to do anything useful... like give decent speeds at a decent price... or decent service... or fix ****ups the same year they happen.. or what appears to be a std issue of people get hooked to NBN... it works well but 2 days later it is dead and takes 2 weeks to fix.

About as useful as naming and shaming both fuel companies that we already know are arse ****ing us...

Me?  I don't expect it to make a blind bit of difference. Just passing on the news.

In my view Australia's corporate regulators are a joke. Bernie Madoff ran the world's biggest Ponzi scheme in the US and was in jail within a year. Our corporate  crooks are usually free to roam for years while the regulators hold inquiries and decide whether to prosecute and then they invariably cut a deal.

Australia's packaging king Richard Pratt ripped people off for years and they fined him. Small change for a billionaire.

Watch the CBA wriggle out of its latest bit of strife with help from its Canberra mates. 

Maybe this should be in the daily rant section.   

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2017, 05:15:01 PM »
Quote from: rossm
In my view Australia's corporate regulators are a joke. Bernie Madoff ran the world's biggest Ponzi scheme in the US and was in jail within a year. Our corporate  crooks are usually free to roam for years while the regulators hold inquiries and decide whether to prosecute and then they invariably cut a deal.

Australia's packaging king Richard Pratt ripped people off for years and they fined him. Small change for a billionaire.

Watch the CBA wriggle out of its latest bit of strife with help from its Canberra mates. 
your right on all points

PS.. wasn't having a go at you, just at the worthless reporting of a white elephant. Just fed up with the rich getting away with everything and lying politicians and nothing happening to them when they are caught...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: rossm

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2017, 08:49:29 AM »
"Telcos have three months to change their advertising or risk being named and shamed by the regulator"

Yeah, I can see them all shaking in their shoes with that threat hanging over their heads! >:D

Being named & shamed by the ACCC is going to be much, much worse than being named & shamed by just normal people on every forum in the country :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline bkim

• Tent User
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2017, 12:39:09 AM »
Been on FTTP in Townsville for almost 2 years, my speeds are fairly consistent to the ones shown here, that I've run a few minutes ago.  I have helped relations and friends with their FTTP setups, mainly to decide the location of the NTD, otherwise if you leave it up to the tech, they will put it where it's easiest for them.  I have attended all the installations, and so far, have never had any kickback from the installers on my preferred location for the NTD.

Regarding speeds, off the top of my head, there are 4 Telstra setups, 3 Optus and 7 on TPG including myself and 1 skymesh, with speeds across the available plans from 12 Mbps, 25 Mbps and myself and another on 100/40 plans (different providers) all of us consistently get within a few Mbps of our plans. 

All of us have selected a phone / internet bundle as well, with TPG on the Uni- V port setup on the NTD being the best performer currently, with no drops outs and excellent clear reception with the connection setup taking only an hour or so to be fully functional even if swapping the phone number from a different provider, Optus has been the next most reliable on their VOIP connection, Telstra has been the most difficult to get functional with major delays, both phone and internet because of internal Telstra problems, with no consistent use of the Uni D ports, regardless of their setup instructions, they will use any of the 4 ports and can't tell you if contacted which one is in use so you may have to try all 4 to get the internet operating.

Telstra also do not seem to communicate internally, with people moving across from existing adsl2 Telstra plans not getting authorisation status to get their email setup functional for up to several days, it took 5 days to get my cousin and another friend's email operational.  Telstra has also been the most problematic with their VOIP phone setup with occasional dropouts and poor quality connections.

One friend has just been connected to FTTN (lucky them!) as they are in an area that wasn't covered under the original FTTP rollout on NBN mark1, they live in a newish suburb (under 10 years old) so the copper should be still OK.  I haven't checked on his node location, but they are with optus and only get 12Mbps down and 3Mbps upload with considerable speed fluctuations and dropouts on a 25/5 plan, this is not ideal for them, as with 2 school age children currently on home schooling, a more consistent performance would be better for them.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6560222559
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:53:47 AM by bkim »

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2017, 06:20:26 PM »
Grrrr I live in brisbane but cannot get nbn of any description
And adsl2 is only 2-3 Mbps as I'm 4klms from the exchange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2017, 06:24:50 PM »
Grrrr I live in brisbane but cannot get nbn of any description
you lucky prick
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2017, 06:36:22 PM »
you lucky prick
for living in Brisbane?...that Melbourne weather getting to ya hey?...lol
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2017, 06:51:45 PM »
Lol thanks bird
I'm soooo lucky to have consistently slow internet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2017, 07:08:16 PM »
I think I am on the NBN.......not really sure. Doesn't seem like anything has changed.

Speedtest Result:

PING
14ms

DOWNLOAD
Mbps

UPLOAD
Mbps

Meh............

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2017, 10:25:13 AM »
That can't be ADSL Nomad as the upper limit is 20/1 so you're on HFC cable or like the BIL with that similar result on 25/5 FTTN with NBN (can even be fibre on a 25/5 tier) Here's very good copper results close to my exchange- http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6644562986

I used to get 16/1 up to 18/1 but that's been Digitally Line Managed down at the exchange for quite some time now but the rub is at the lower 9/0.5 you won't detect any noticeable difference with general web surfing as that largely depends on the congestion of  the various servers you're connecting to. eg banks have high capacity servers but you might notice a slowdown logging on Thursday morning to check the wages have come in along with many others. Different matter with large download files or HD video naturally where faster is better.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2017, 10:19:23 AM »
Passing the halfway rollout point in July it's worth noting that like review sites you always get to hear the grumbles whereas nobody bothers to jump on and tell you they're rapt to reasonably satisfied with a new product or service so perhaps it's worth considering the following macro perspective-
http://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/the-nbn-project/hm-kk-nbn-halfway-there-reflecting-on-our-journey.html
http://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/the-nbn-project/the-realities-of-deploying-fttp-in-australia.html

My overall take is it's all very well to dream the ultimate dream but those who have to roll their sleeves up and get stuck into the implementation are best placed to understand the nature of the undertaking and its inevitable pitfalls and necessary compromises. Excellence in this life and perfection in the next eh?

There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.