Author Topic: Hema GPS  (Read 10937 times)

Offline stevem

• Swag User
    • SKM Design
Re: Hema GPS
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 05:19:03 PM »
the android app can be used offline. Initially it takes a while to download a;; the maps, but once on the tablet, you can use it offline.
It really helped in Byfield NP having the tablet with the detailed maps providing a GPS fix on a map. Made navigation significantly easier :D...

Its unreal hey.
We've been doing a few of the treks in the Dirty Weekends in The South East. Rather than have soembody read all the differnt turn, here, go left, go straight etc we plot new tracks into the app before we leave home and follow the route. Saves any bickering with the "navigator" and keeps everyting in harmony while driving LOL
Only problem we have encountered is the app crashed a couple times on the weekend for some reason. But reloads in a flash so wasn't a biggie.

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 05:24:41 PM »
Its unreal hey.
We've been doing a few of the treks in the Dirty Weekends in The South East. Rather than have soembody read all the differnt turn, here, go left, go straight etc we plot new tracks into the app before we leave home and follow the route. Saves any bickering with the "navigator" and keeps everyting in harmony while driving LOL

Out of interest have you used this method for the trip in the book for the D'Augilar Nat Park, the book takes you on some very interesting side tracks.... 1 of us almost walked home that day...  ;D
Now if I can do as you describe with the HN7, it will be happiness all round I think.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

theins

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 05:48:19 PM »
Saves any bickering with the "navigator" and keeps everyting in harmony while driving LOL

I think these apps should be nicknamed "Marriage Saver"...  ;D

Offline stevem

• Swag User
    • SKM Design
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 05:56:21 PM »
I think these apps should be nicknamed "Marriage Saver"...  ;D

Heck yeah :)

Out of interest have you used this method for the trip in the book for the D'Augilar Nat Park, the book takes you on some very interesting side tracks.... 1 of us almost walked home that day...  ;D
Now if I can do as you describe with the HN7, it will be happiness all round I think.

No we haven't yet - planning it with my brother and sis in law for soem time in the new year though. If you look up Hema Cloud in google heaps of people make their trips public so there might be one on there already. I used a pre-done trip to part plan what we did last weekend near Killarney

Offline Banjo16

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The road less travelled
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 07:06:29 PM »
Just a quick question from a computer dummy , so if I spend $35 on the app for my iPad what do I lose out on compared with the full price purchase ?
Cheers,
Don

PB Challenger
Jayco Starcraft OB

theins

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
Just a quick question from a computer dummy , so if I spend $35 on the app for my iPad what do I lose out on compared with the full price purchase ?

Sorry, don't know the iPad offering...

GO ANDROID !

Offline barrel01

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 08:18:48 PM »
I downloaded the 2+gig topo maps for offline use and the high country map as well.  On the weekend the maps wouldn't load when out of range and I was left staring at white squares.  The maps are there to select and if I go to the additional maps section it shows I have them too. So the android wasn't a success for me.

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »

Easy to do on the HN7. Just load the version of OziExplorer that is on the sd card in the Navigator, onto your PC. You can then bring up any of the maps that are on the Hema and plot your route. Once done, transfer the route to the Hema and voila, done!
Do the same with waypoints, POI's etc.
 :cheers:
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline stevem

• Swag User
    • SKM Design
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 03:39:14 PM »

Nothing in our experince since we've had the app on our android tablet. Can't say about the apple products.

Offline stevem

• Swag User
    • SKM Design
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 03:47:11 PM »
I downloaded the 2+gig topo maps for offline use and the high country map as well.  On the weekend the maps wouldn't load when out of range and I was left staring at white squares.  The maps are there to select and if I go to the additional maps section it shows I have them too. So the android wasn't a success for me.

We've found that you can't have any other apps running in the background on our tablet. Seems to run out of juice and crashes it.