Author Topic: Road Condition Query  (Read 1267 times)

Offline suziq

• Swag User
Road Condition Query
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:18:37 PM »
Hi Everyone,

We were wondering if anyone out there has driven lately the road to Cairns from Charters Towers on the Gregory Development Road through Greenvale to Lynd Junction. We have heard that it is bitumen all the way, is this so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Suziq

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
Re: Road Condition Query
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:33:29 PM »

Give either RACQ a call or head to their website and search Road Conditions.  It's updated by the local  :police: every day.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline ferret

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:52:34 PM »
I believe it is sealed all the way but not entirely sure but be careful as stretches of road are only sealed 1 vehicle wide and you get a few trucks up that way so you need to be focused & if you see one coming just ease up a bit and as move far to the left as you can safely as the dirt edges a fairly well maintained , also there are Emus along there also that can stress a bit when vehicles pass especially if the roadside is fenced.
If you take your time and stay aware you'll be fine.
The following 3 photos were taken on the section of road between Charters Towers & Herveys Range Road turnoff in May this year

Cheers

Frank
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:56:51 PM by ferret »
2007 HILUX D4D DUAL CAB
2011 KK PLATINUM

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 02:51:15 PM »
Driven that road heaps of times.  Sealed the full length (any newish roadworks not withstanding).  Ever reducing stretches between the Towers and Lynd Junction are a single lane wide, and unless the mine's shut down, triple road-trains travel both directions, and transmit a warning at designated "Call Points", so that if you're listening to UHF40, you'll have an idea that they're approaching.

The Lynd Pub is off to your left a km or so, at the Lynd Junction. It's worth a quick detour as it boast (or used to last time I was there) the shortest bar in Australia.  About a 6 hour trip Towers to Kuranda as a guide. Plenty of fuel stops if required.  If you'd like an interesting detour, take the dirt road (Silver Valley Rd) from just north of Innot Hot Springs to Herberton. It cuts off lots of bitumen km but takes as long as the bitumen.

'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum