Author Topic: We're old and we bought a camper!  (Read 6524 times)

Offline busyozmum

• Learning the Ropes
We're old and we bought a camper!
« on: June 25, 2016, 09:48:04 AM »
I think we are just a little mad but people who know us already knew that. We are a mid 50's couple with the last 2 of our 7 kids still living with us. Yes 7, I told you we were crazy. The youngest kids are almost 16 and 18. The 17 3/4 yo already says he has no desire to go camping but we have managed to convince him to come away with us this first week of the school holidays. We head off tomorrow. He's gotta play footy today and we better be back by Friday coz he has to play next week as well <shakes fist emoji>  :D

With these youngest kids about to gain more independence, hubby and I started to think about this next stage of our lives - kid free. All our lives, we have both wanted to travel Australia but have never had the opportunity. We starting to see a little spark of light at the end of our tunnel of dreams and so we bit the bullet and bought ourselves a new MDC Cruizer which we picked up about 6 weeks ago. We have had a couple of weekends away in it and are about to head over from NE central Vic where we live to visit and old mate who lives in Bega, NSW. We're going to freeze our brass monkeys off but oh well, WE BOUGHT A CAMPER!!  :cheers:

Offline busyozmum

• Learning the Ropes
Re: We're old and we bought a camper!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 09:53:50 AM »
First trip away we went to James Camping Reserve at Lima East, Vic. Not too far from home. Was lovely.

Even got the 15yo to cook. With a smile!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline busyozmum

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 09:56:55 AM »
Second trip away was on the long weekend. Up to the high country around Howqua, Vic. Wet and muddy mess. The camper has performed extremely well. No problems at all. Hopefully it will remain that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:58:32 AM by busyozmum »

Offline lochgilphead

• Tent User
  • Disgruntled by work; Gruntled by camping
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 10:06:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum...lots of lovely people and expertise on here.  Aaaah, camping with teenagers.  We're just a bit past you with that so look forward to the serenity.   :cheers: :cheers:  Mac
Mac and Jen - Isuzu MUX with some small mods towing a Rhinomax Discovery. This is our rig until we stop travelling!!

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 11:45:53 AM »
welcome to the 'sedate mid-life crisis' club! we don't go out looking for sporty cars (or women/men) rather turn up our noses at the skyrocketing prices of motels and van parks and heat down the trails to the hidden gems (that are unfortunately starting to become more popular and accessible)

congratulations on your purchase and your two trips already - more to come I should imagine!

but wait - there's summer and beach camping to discover as well! have a look at seaspray, from what I gather its around your area and you can apparently camp in the beach access/parking areas along shoreline drive

http://www.caravanontour.com/free-campsites-and-low-cost-camping/victoria/victoria-camping-campsites/1036-ninety_mile_beach_seaspray_free_camping.html

Offline jayjay

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 12:38:08 PM »
Well done! And welcome! Like you, we were at your stage with a then 16yo (girl), when we bought our camper. She was not enamoured with our choice, and yes sometimes we did leave her at home, as homework was becoming an ever increasing workload.
However we did find what worked was to buy her a little 2 man tent so that she had her own space, which she quite enjoyed when she came with us. It also gave her the option of bringing a friend, and suddenly she was the camping "guru"- which we would often have a little chuckle as we would overhear her spurt forth her pearls of wisdom re roughing it! :laugh:
Since then we are now pretty much on our own, but another season of life has intervened with the never-ending responsibilities of ageing frail parents, which inhibits our ability to get away the way we would like to.
So....... if you have the opportunity, make the most of it- cos you never know what is around the corner!
Mitsubishi Challenger
Rearfold Safari Trackabout

scrapsD40

We're old and we bought a camper!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 02:29:22 PM »
You're not old, but xcvator on here is

Congrats on joining the sane club. You're perfectly positioned in central Vic to explore some of the best parts of Aus. Enjoy the journey and feel free any time to join us at our Vic Myswag gatherings. We're weird, we're crazy and we build some of the biggest campfires you'll ever sit near (well maybe 50m back).

Oh, and you must be al right if you drive a Nissan and it's a D40.

Offline busyozmum

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 02:52:39 PM »
Aaaah, camping with teenagers.  We're just a bit past you with that so look forward to the serenity.   :cheers: :cheers:  Mac

Thanks Mac! The teens are wonderful and testing all at the same time. Not much longer with them as you well know. Time flies very quickly.

welcome to the 'sedate mid-life crisis' club!

but wait - there's summer and beach camping to discover as well! have a look at seaspray, from what I gather its around your area and you can apparently camp in the beach access/parking areas along shoreline drive

http://www.caravanontour.com/free-campsites-and-low-cost-camping/victoria/victoria-camping-campsites/1036-ninety_mile_beach_seaspray_free_camping.html

All very true and I'm so glad to find others in the tribe.  ;D

Seaspray camp looks wonderful and I'm sure we will head down there one day. Not quite in my "area" as it will take about 4.5-5 hours to drive there but is in the same state. Ha!
The following users thanked this post: GDAIY

Offline busyozmum

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 02:59:17 PM »
Well done! And welcome! Like you, we were at your stage with a then 16yo (girl), when we bought our camper. She was not enamoured with our choice, and yes sometimes we did leave her at home, as homework was becoming an ever increasing workload.
However we did find what worked was to buy her a little 2 man tent so that she had her own space, which she quite enjoyed when she came with us. It also gave her the option of bringing a friend, and suddenly she was the camping "guru"- which we would often have a little chuckle as we would overhear her spurt forth her pearls of wisdom re roughing it! :laugh:
Since then we are now pretty much on our own, but another season of life has intervened with the never-ending responsibilities of ageing frail parents, which inhibits our ability to get away the way we would like to.
So....... if you have the opportunity, make the most of it- cos you never know what is around the corner!

Ah yes, we have already suggested separate quarters for the (almost) 18yo and then he could bring his girlfriend who has camped a lot. He likes that idea. Our 15yo daughter is different. She's very quiet, bit shy and prefers to hang around with her family. I hope she stays like that for a few more years. She's very sweet.

Our oldest kids are in their 30's. Married with kids of their own. We have 6 and 3/4 grandchildren. ;D Both our parents are either passed away or in nursing homes. We have already spent the past 10 years looking after and caring for our elderly parents. It's our turn now.  :cheers:

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 03:18:35 PM »
Welcome,
Great set up you have. Great to see it has been getting dirty.!!
Enjoy,

Rob
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 04:14:59 PM »
G'day and welcome.
God I miss camping with my kids ;D

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline busyozmum

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 05:17:56 PM »
You're not old, but xcvator on here is
Wow! Really? Cant wait to 'meet' this senior citizen.  ;)

Congrats on joining the sane club. You're perfectly positioned in central Vic to explore some of the best parts of Aus. Enjoy the journey and feel free any time to join us at our Vic Myswag gatherings. We're weird, we're crazy and we build some of the biggest campfires you'll ever sit near (well maybe 50m back).

Oh, and you must be al right if you drive a Nissan and it's a D40.

I'm just beginning to realise we are in a good starting position. I'd really like to catch up with other Swaggers eventually.
Love my Navara. It's the first 'luxurious' car I have ever owned. It's so pretty and cozy.  Oh and it does the job well too. :D

Thanks also to Sol and Rob C for the warm welcome. Much appreciated.

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 05:38:45 PM »
Wow! Really? Cant wait to 'meet' this senior citizen.  ;)

I'm just beginning to realise we are in a good starting position. I'd really like to catch up with other Swaggers eventually.
Love my Navara. It's the first 'luxurious' car I have ever owned. It's so pretty and cozy.  Oh and it does the job well too. :D

Thanks also to Sol and Rob C for the warm welcome. Much appreciated.
Welcome to myswag and trust me you really can wait to meet THIS senior citizen anyway you have no choice at the moment, he is terrorizing swaggers in the Kimberley . Enjoy the camper

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 08:00:01 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  You are not old.... we are a number of years older than you .... bought our off road camper when in our 50's and still love it.  Love getting away into the bush too so there are many more years of enjoyment just waiting for you. 
Enjoy the forum - there is lots of good advice available here if required.

Desert Lover

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 09:19:07 AM »
Welcome to MySwag, looks like you are going to fit in well. As Scarps mentioned join in one of the meets, put your name down for the national meet next year in Mansfield.
My kids are a little younger but I hope they keep up the lifestyle that we have set for many years to come.

GG

Offline Banjo16

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The road less travelled
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 09:26:24 AM »
 Welcome to the forum,we were over 60 when we got our off road camper & the kids had left home.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do,our favourite off road camp would have to be Geehi Flat over the river to Keebles.

Cheers,
Don

PB Challenger
Jayco Starcraft OB

Offline JungleJohn

• Swag User
  • Beware the barrenness of a busy life.
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 12:56:39 PM »
great stuff. My wife and I are in the same boat. Early 50's. The youngest rug rats have moved out and now we have piece and quiet at home. We have a CT and cruiser and venture out when I am back in town. I do FIFO work. Grand daughter (5yrs)always wants to come on our adventures and some times we let her.

Get out and enjoy yourselves and good luck!!!
100 Series Sahara, all the ARB gear.
Supreme 1660 Territory Executive Caravan

Offline jw2170

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 01:52:26 PM »
Mid 50's.....not even close...

We bought our CT in Feb last years and we are well past 65....LOL.

Enjoy your camping when you can...

Our youngest is 40+ , so we  have very peaceful breaks..

Also , take any chance you can to get away on one of the groups get - together's.   You will find like minded people with so much to teach...
Jim & Maree
Sydney NSW

Hilux and soft floor camper.