Author Topic: Hello to all - another Newbie  (Read 4134 times)

Offline rickl

• Learning the Ropes
Hello to all - another Newbie
« on: December 09, 2015, 03:52:07 PM »
Hi Everyone

My partner and I made the trek out to Birdsville last July for The Big Red Bash. We turned it into a bit of a holiday but only used a tent for our accommodation. This proved to be a real pain after long days of driving. At the recent Sydney 4x4 Show I finally managed to interest my partner in camper trailers, she being a die hard tent camper.

Anyway after looking around and making list after lists, as my partner loves lists, we settled on what we wanted in a camper and what we did not want. We were shocked to find only a few campers had most of the things we wanted and even more shocked to find the prices on the upper side of $50K. This just seemed too expensive for what we were going to get.

I have recently started looking at building a camper trailer of my own that will meet all the requirements we have. I don't see any major problems from a design and construction point of view after 30 years of building race cars and 4wd's. The documentation online to ensure compliance with National requirements (VSB-1 in particular as well as ADR's) make the design process not that hard.

What worries me is how hard is it going to be to register a home built trailer in NSW. I have joined this group to see if I can gain from other members experience.

I am aware that I need to audit where the steel came from to prove to the RMA the trailer is in fact home built and not stolen.

I can not get an answer on whether or not an Engineer is needed to approve the design.

I understand a gas certificate is needed for any hard line gas installation.

I understand that any 240V Mains wiring must also be installed by a licensed electrician.

I look forward to the groups advice as I start to build the trailer.

Regards

rickl

KingBilly

Re: Hello to all - another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 04:39:07 PM »
Welcome to myswag.  Good luck with your build and don't forget to post up lots of photos, I love reading about camper builds  :cup:

Happy camping
KB

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 08:28:31 PM »
Welcome Rikki,

Have fun with your build project. You sound like you will have a great CT when it's finished.
Good luck

Rob
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 11:04:06 PM »
Welcome Rikki,

It looks like you intend going to a lot of effort to make sure your CT build is:

#  Safe
#  Legal
#  Covered by insurance in the event of a claim..

Once you start reading many of the build threads on here - you may be surprised to see how many backyard jobs don't seem to be that concerned about these matters..

You being a responsible builder - I will be very interested in following how you go with everything...

Very well done indeed for the attitude to want to do the right thing...   Our country needs more of this, I reckon..

:cheers:
BaseCamp
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 06:52:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
Welcome to myswag.  Good luck with your build and don't forget to post up lots of photos, I love reading about camper builds  :cup:

Happy camping
KB
Me too.  ;D
Cheers Terry.

2014 Toyota Prado, 2018 Jayco Expanda Outback

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 08:10:22 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, we all like a good home made build

GG

Offline baggs71

• Tent User
  • Waltzing Australia...one trip at a time.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 08:29:44 PM »
Welcome mate.....cant wait to see the pics of the build