Author Topic: Fetch Mighty Box  (Read 2388 times)

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Fetch Mighty Box
« on: November 08, 2019, 09:14:55 AM »
Looking at getting 1 of these, opinions please.
Don't even think about the idea of getting Foxtel, been there twice, never again
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Fetch Mighty Box
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 09:24:30 AM »
Better menus than fox, hard drive is about 100 times bigger. You get espn but not fox sports. The remotes break fairly regularly, you can change your plan on the machine, in your loungeroom without doing battle with a philipino call centre, the fetch app is a bit sh!t. How'd I do? I had both for ages, but ditched fox recently after piss poor service and trying to hike rates for no real reason - they wouldn't renew my plan at the same rate after years of service. No wonder why they are going broke - again.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 09:44:10 AM »
Is Fetch the Optus one?? if so we got one with our plan, and plugged it in, saw there was **** all on it, and turned it off.. been on the shelf for 5 yrs.

Great if you like diveball.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »
what do you want to watch with it?

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »
what do you want to watch with it?
We watch fta, but hate the adds. There are often  2 or 3 shows an at the same time, so I'd like to record some of them while watching another, then f/f through the ads. Absolutely hate those "reality " shows. Don't mind several of the British comedy and mystery shows.
Would be good to record a complete series to watch in sequence, ( without adds )

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 10:28:12 AM »
Quote from: xcvator
We watch fta, but hate the adds.

whats wrong with 4-5 ****in gambling house ads per ad break.  :-\ :-\ :-\ ::) ::)
apparently its a bad habit...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 10:37:09 AM »
We watch fta, but hate the adds. There are often  2 or 3 shows an at the same time, so I'd like to record some of them while watching another, then f/f through the ads. Absolutely hate those "reality " shows. Don't mind several of the British comedy and mystery shows.
Would be good to record a complete series to watch in sequence, ( without adds )

no worries... i thought if it was mainly streaming services, then an apple tv is also not a bad option...

sounds like the fetch might be the way to go for FTA and recording, etc...

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Travelling with Shirley the van!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 11:30:28 AM »
The Fetch is good for FTA recording, and I love the Nat Geo/Discovery/BBC/Travel Channel package - for $6 a month it has most of the stuff that I need. I don't need sport.
We've swapped from the camper to a van yay! :)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 01:31:21 PM »
I've got a Fetch Mighty in the house, and a Fetch Mini, in the shed> I mainly use it for FTA, and sometimes catchup TV. The good thing about the mini in the shed is that I can set up recordings or watch stuff I've recorded when I'm in the shed, having a beer or two.

Can record up to two progs on 2 channel sets, and another one from another channel set while watching a different one, or 2 programs from 3 channel sets while watching something I have already recorded. I think that's how it works anyway, but I have rarely seen a situation where I have had recording conflicts due to too many programmed recordings.

One thing that does annoy me a little is that the TV guide is from the Fetch website, not embedded data from the channels. And they don't tell you which release of the movie, or who the actors are. This means that sometimes you end up recording something that is the original version, and not the newer version you hoped it was. They seem to be pretty accurate for start finish times, except if the show you want to record comes after "The Block" or football, and sometimes channel 7 will run over too, but that usually doesn't affect me anyway.

A good thing is you can schedule complete series for recording, so you don't miss an episode if you are out and don't get to set up recordings. I think the app may allow you to set recordings while you aren't home, but I have never used it. Not sure on that though.

I picked up the mini from Gumtree for $50.00. But if you go that way, you have to make sure the Fetch isn't locked to a provider (or if it is locked, it's the same provider you have), and that the owner has cancelled their Fetch account for that box. Even if they didn't rent movies or subscribe to any channels (Netflix, Stan or packages etc), they still would have had to set up an account.

Bottom line is, it's the best TV recorder I've ever owned, and Catchup is pretty good too.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline gasgaschris

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 02:43:15 PM »
I've been with iinet for many years - probably too long, tbh. With our plan we get a fetch box - used to be the big one that would record, now downgraded to the little one which won't.

They die fairly regularly - not as regularly as the remotes - but I think we're on our 5th replacement in about 8 years. We're actually now at our limit - they won't replace it again. Which is pretty funny, apparently we've been a customer for too long. But that's iinet..

The functionality is good, that hardware is cheap. It's better than Foxtel imho..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

CTL

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 07:11:03 PM »
When the TIVO service stopped in Australia, we got a FETCH Mighty.  The Mini doesn’t record.  The TIVO was easier to use but we have gotten used to the Fetch now, had it for 2-3 years.  No issues with the box or remote.  We use it mainly to record FTA, mainly ABC and SBS.  Unlike the TIVO, you need to be watching the channel to rewind live TV.

Yes, with a recording, you can skip the adds at 32 times fast forward, hit play and it goes back a set distance to compensate for your reaction time.  This back track time is user settable.

You can use the box to watch catchup FTA channels.

Never bothered with the extra packages you pay for.

Overall, very happy with it.

You can buy outright from Harvey Normal or rent through a number of internet providers.

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 07:50:26 PM »
Ordered

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"