Author Topic: Supercars 2020  (Read 29021 times)

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
Supercars 2020
« on: January 05, 2020, 02:06:33 PM »
 Looking forward to the season starting , some changes are been introduced across the field that I believe will reduce the incidents that occurred last season . 

Supercars has locked in revised engine rules for 2020, aimed at improving longevity and reducing costs for teams.

A control ring and revised rocker ratio will be mandated .- no excuses for not getting it right.

Rebuilds are set to be capped at three per season.          - No more engines just for qualifying

As a result of the changes, current peak figures of approximately 650bhp will be reduced by just 15bhp; leaving the current spectacle unaffected.

The engine tweaks are being implemented alongside an approximate 15 percent reduction in downforce, which is expected to make for closer racing.

" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Supercars 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 02:39:29 PM »
The drivers were asking for less downforce .....
As a spectacle I think it will be almost identical to last year.
Cost saving, engine department, bugger all in the whole scheme of things. But it's a small step in the right direction.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 06:10:58 PM »
Looking forward to the season starting , some changes are been introduced across the field that I believe will reduce the incidents that occurred last season . 

Supercars has locked in revised engine rules for 2020, aimed at improving longevity and reducing costs for teams.

A control ring and revised rocker ratio will be mandated .- no excuses for not getting it right. so it sounds like Supercars are admitting DJR/Penske were not 100% guilty

Rebuilds are set to be capped at three per season.          - No more engines just for qualifying
who ran qualifying engines
As a result of the changes, current peak figures of approximately 650bhp will be reduced by just 15bhp; leaving the current spectacle unaffected.

The engine tweaks are being implemented alongside an approximate 15 percent reduction in downforce, which is expected to make for closer racing.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 07:58:28 PM »
MDS69

The text in red is my doing , having a shot at DJRTP .

Both the control ring and revised rocker ratio will be mandated and Rebuilds are set to be capped at three per season will affect DJRTP as he engine that Scott was using that failed the inspection was only used as a qualifying engine is Scotts car .That engine was never raced in any race last season .

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 08:29:38 PM »
MDS69

Both the control ring and revised rocker ratio will be mandated and Rebuilds are set to be capped at three per season will affect DJRTP as he engine that Scott was using that failed the inspection was only used as a qualifying engine is Scotts car .That engine was never raced in any race last season .

Only partly correct. The engine they used in qualifying ( the engine that "failed" scrutineering) was changed because of problems they found with engine telemetry . In other words, it was RS. It wouldn't  have lasted the race, and superstars gave them permission to change it.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 09:10:51 AM »
Only partly correct. The engine they used in qualifying ( the engine that "failed" scrutineering) was changed because of problems they found with engine telemetry . In other words, it was RS. It wouldn't  have lasted the race, and superstars gave them permission to change it.

Don't quote me, but I believe DJRTP (just like most of the major teams) had used some of there allocated engine rebuilds so they had fresh engines for Bathurst. Something wasn't done right with those rebuilds which was discovered after qualifying in the 17 car (which was the reason for the engine swap), but didn't become evident in the 12 car until during the race?

Caveat - I'm not a DJRTP fan, but I am a Scott McLaughlin fan
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 05:49:52 PM »
MDS69

Duggie I guessed you were having a shot and so was I but from a DJR fan perspective. My view is by Supercars tightening those rules up they are admitting The DJR engine builder did no wrong deliberately.
 Also people claiming they ran a qualifying engine like the old Group C days is stretching the truth in that as Gronk pointed out there were issues with the unit that happened to be used during qualifying that Supercars agreed and gave permission to change otherwise it would have stayed in for the duration of the weekend if it didn’t show signs of trouble.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 10:37:02 AM »
Less than a week to go before the 2020 season cranks up .

Time will tell how the new changes have worked , I do hope that there is more passing as expected with the less down force .

There is a few new to the main game drivers in the line up , I guess the day has long passed when a driver got a seat/drive on ability only , not how big a cheque book Daddy has .

I have noted that no team as yet has been sucked in as Gary Rodgers did with Boost sponsorship and Wankaway ( Richie Stanaway ). The owner of Boost was trying very hard at the end of last season to get a team to take him/them on .

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 01:25:35 PM »
Less than a week to go before the 2020 season cranks up .

Got my couch booked for next weekend Duggie ;D Always like the season opener at Adelaide. Will be interesting to see how McLaughlin juggles the Indicar drives with his Aussie series title defense?
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 08:02:57 PM »
One has to wonder what is going to happen after this season ends .

Is the end of Holden going to be the start of the end to supercars ?

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 08:28:53 PM »
Get ready for a British Touring Car style series, lots of classes and manufacturers on the track at the same time.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »
duggie, I reckon the start of the end to supercars began when they moved away from modified road cars.

:cheers: :cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 09:39:47 PM »
Don't forget that V8 Supercars is just the ATCC renamed.  It survived Series Production, Group C, Group A, then the 5 litre regulations for the last 28 years.

So long as the best teams and best drivers are in it, people will watch.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 09:56:53 PM »
duggie, I reckon the start of the end to supercars began when they moved away from modified road cars.

:cheers: :cheers:

They seemed to have gone OK for the last 20 years !!

You can still watch that sort of stuff if you want....plenty of room at the races they do !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 04:30:02 AM »
They seemed to have gone OK for the last 20 years !!

You can still watch that sort of stuff if you want....plenty of room at the races they do !!

Crowds have been well down at all that I've attended over the last 20 years, despite what they claim.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline VKPrado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 07:08:12 AM »
Get ready for a British Touring Car style series, lots of classes and manufacturers on the track at the same time.

That is basically what the TRC cars that have started to race here are.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 08:54:11 AM »
 ;D ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Inland_Sailor

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 09:36:42 AM »
Yes and I'm all for it! Supercars are from a previous era. TCR  cars have been making rapid progress here in AU and are already challenging Supercars as far as interest goes from the enthusiasts. SBS has been leading the way with it's coverage of the TCR series. With races at the Au GP and 2 enduro events a Bathurst for the year expect to hear more about them.

As an FIA World Championship already exist, I can see a Bathurst event, like it was back in the heyday of Group A, when cars and drivers from across the globe came here to race and our locals had some measure of comparison of where they stood in the "Big Picture".

See:

https://www.tcraustralia.com/cars/
https://www.fiawtcr.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TCRAustralia/
https://autoaction.com.au/2020/01/08/2020-tcr-australia-test-day-confirmed

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 09:56:26 AM by Inland_Sailor »

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 09:48:23 AM »
I think this year will be closer than ever. Adrian Burgess had a lot of pressure to get the aero parity right so I think they would be very close.

But like always, teams will find a way to be better than the rest, especially when billionaires are involved and then theres the Scotty Mac factor  ;D

It is sad that Holden have gone but no doubt they will race Corvettes or Camaros which is good enough for me to have a rivalry against.

Incidentally as a person who bleeds blue I recall many times over the years where we have felt like the red side cheated to win or had unfair advantages so I understand where all the criticism is coming from towards Penske  :angel:

I would be scathing when Brocky would cross enter cars and jump into them once his first car had broken down....I hated it...as an example. Yes I know it was in the rules but far from the spirit of what a true test of endurance is IMHO.

And as for the people who criticize the category then just dont watch it or follow it. For me it is still the premiere motorsport in our country so I am a fan....especially when Ford are winning! Sure they can do more to make it better and they are doing more, it just takes time to make changes.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 07:15:53 PM »
TCR  cars have been making rapid progress here in AU and are already challenging Supercars as far as interest goes from the enthusiasts.

Uumm......I'd have to disagree......crowd figures at a race meeting will show a HUGE difference in interest between the two.

You'll find TCR will evovle similar to BTC......nothing like a road car bar the body silhouette .
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Inland_Sailor

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 09:04:51 PM »
You'll find TCR will evovle similar to BTC......nothing like a road car bar the body silhouette .

I think you've got that wrong way around!
The Supercars are just panels fitted around a specific rolling frame/platform which may, but not usually, actually match the road car it's supposed to look like. A good example is the Mustangs. Their roofline has being adjusted and lifted to fit the platform dimensions. As for the Supercar mechanicals, apart from the engines coming from the manufacturer they're supposedly representing, the rest is common across all the competitors.

PS Crowd figures for Supercars are falling, TCR crowds are growing. As I said, enthusiasts are moving across from one to the other.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 09:12:33 PM by Inland_Sailor »

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 09:46:07 PM »

PS Crowd figures for Supercars are falling, TCR crowds are growing. As I said, enthusiasts are moving across from one to the other.

Supercar crowd figures may be falling, slightly, but TCR crowds would have to increase by 40 times to match Supercars.....can't see it happening.

I like your use of the word  enthusiast......I think all motor racing fans would call themselves that.  And until things change, a huge majority want to see V8's racing, not 4 cyl mums cars !!  ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 05:28:59 AM »
TCR's greatest downfall is sporting parity.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Inland_Sailor

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2020, 10:55:00 AM »
I like your use of the word  enthusiast......I think all motor racing fans would call themselves that.  And until things change, a huge majority want to see V8's racing, not 4 cyl mums cars !!  ;D

Enthusiasts participate and appreciate more than just one "formula" of the sport or activity they follow. They can also see that Supercars are running up a dead end street. [It's a bit like AFL. Largest code in Au but not really known Internationally.]
TCR's have  a world wide following, a World Championship and manufactures are joining in. Their appeal IS that they kinda look like "mum" cars that you can get from your local dealer, but go like stink! Added to that, they are the face of change in the real world, just like Formula E is vs Formula 1. [Not to far away we'll be discussing which is better to watch, battery powered cars like Teslas vs hydrogen powered like Supras!]

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 11:24:30 AM »
[Not to far away we'll be discussing which is better to watch, battery powered cars like Teslas vs hydrogen powered like Supras!]

I wouldn’t think so!
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru