Author Topic: G'day! Bart here from Joolca - Portable LPG Water heaters.  (Read 253930 times)

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
Re: G'day! Bart here from Joolca - Portable LPG Water heaters.
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 10:33:44 AM »
Hey Rod

1. We actually don't have any hoses longer than 2 m, though, our next batch we will have 5 m hose lengths as standard.
2. Our hoses have a high pressure rating (900 kPa) and are UV resistant. A standard garden hose from Bunnings/ Masters could do the trick as we supply quick connect fittings, so it will literally be 'plug and use', ie. you can extend the hose to your length.
3. Depending on the input water source, the water output will get up to 52 C (before it is shut off with the safety switch). So, you'll have no issues washing up your dishes.
4. You can definitely use the T-piece to run a line to the sink as well, many of our customers actually do this. Keep in mind that you won't be able to use two appliances (ie. the Hottap and the sink) at the same time as the water flow won't be high enough. 
5. Chrome plated doesn't actually imply quality. Our hose and shower head are high quality and more user friendly than a screw on set.
6. Depending on where you live it will take a couple of days. We are based in Melbourne, so within Victoria it usually is a little quicker.

Let me know if you need any more info! :)
Instant & never ending hot water. Anywhere.

www.joolca.com.au

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 09:25:13 PM »
Picked up one of these units today, great friendly service. Will report back soon over the xmas break after we give it a run

GG

Hi GG -are you intending to mount onto the Tambo - keep us informed on how it performs and how you end up using it.
Tony  :cheers:
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 09:27:34 PM »
Hi GG -are you intending to mount onto the Tambo - keep us informed on how it performs and how you end up using it.
Tony  :cheers:

Yes mate will be mounting up the front somewhere, will post up details and a report when its all up and running

GG

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 06:27:48 AM »
Hey Rod

1. We actually don't have any hoses longer than 2 m, though, our next batch we will have 5 m hose lengths as standard.
2. Our hoses have a high pressure rating (900 kPa) and are UV resistant. A standard garden hose from Bunnings/ Masters could do the trick as we supply quick connect fittings, so it will literally be 'plug and use', ie. you can extend the hose to your length.
3. Depending on the input water source, the water output will get up to 52 C (before it is shut off with the safety switch). So, you'll have no issues washing up your dishes.
4. You can definitely use the T-piece to run a line to the sink as well, many of our customers actually do this. Keep in mind that you won't be able to use two appliances (ie. the Hottap and the sink) at the same time as the water flow won't be high enough. 
5. Chrome plated doesn't actually imply quality. Our hose and shower head are high quality and more user friendly than a screw on set.
6. Depending on where you live it will take a couple of days. We are based in Melbourne, so within Victoria it usually is a little quicker.

Let me know if you need any more info! :)

Bart thanks for the quick response. It is all part of a project to water up the trailer before christmas and use the existing tank so appreciate it. My main concern was what hoses I could use with the hot water and you have answered that for me so all good.

Thanks again

Rod

Offline Gunsrunner

• Tent User
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 05:14:19 AM »
I have had the HOTTAP for a month now, bloody brilliant. Bart from Joolca looked after me very well, by refunding my PayPal account the difference of the forum price :cheers:.
I have used a Colman hws up till now, not without issues.
I have extended the shower hose to about 8 meters and have the unit mounted in one of the jerry can holders at the front, pump is the 5lpm supplied by Bart,  which has heaps of pressure and is mounted under the CT.
The only mod I have made was to tape the battery compartment closed, just in case.
We have found with the gas on full and the water on full flow we get the 45 °c that is perfect for us. 
We are using more water,  but I think it is only because we are enjoying our hot showers more, I could turn the water flow down but hey if you've got it flaunt it.
I do have pics and will post them when on the home pc.
Just like to say thank you again Bart and a great product.  :cheers:
2014 NW VRX Pajero 3.2did
2012 Redtrack series 1 RF
The following users thanked this post: mrw63

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 11:34:34 AM »
No problem, glad to help whenever I can! Nice to hear it is serving you well haha. Keep enjoying and Happy Holidays!

www.joolca.com.au

Offline Woodsie

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Off the beaten track in this Great Country of Ours
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »
G,day Bart,

Do you have a coupon code for myswaggers yet?
and also do the units have the longer hose yet?
If not, i will wait to order later.
Tony Woods 06 HZJ105 Turbo/IC
2012 Eureka Hard Floor Camper

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
Hey Woodsie,

We are yet to organise a coupon code for myswaggers but for the time being give us a call and we will sort it out :)

As for the longer hoses; we will have 5m hose lengths in the next shipment within the next couple of months. If you like, PM me your email and I can let you know when they are in.

www.joolca.com.au

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
Hey guys,

We would love for you to leave a few words about your HOTTAP (if you have one!) on http://www.productreview.com.au/p/joolca-hottap.html

Cheers

www.joolca.com.au

Offline Gunsrunner

• Tent User
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 11:48:19 AM »
Pics as promised.

2014 NW VRX Pajero 3.2did
2012 Redtrack series 1 RF

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 12:58:50 PM »
WOW! Nice and tidy. Great setup.

www.joolca.com.au

Offline myminirocks

• Tent User
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2015, 04:24:24 PM »
Hey Bart. Ive been threatening to pull the trigger on one of your HOTAP's for a while now but I have a questions to ensure it is the right HWS for me.

To utalise the on/off feature of your shower head, and auto ignition, I assume it will need to be coupled to a diaphragm pump (or mains pressure).

The ultimate goal here is to have a set up that allows for unlimited timed showers. I had intended to get a submersible pump that I can throw in the creek (to avoid priming issues) that can pump up to 9mtrs of TDH (head) which would allow me to push water from a creek (dam etc) up a nice long hose to where ever is convenient to set up the shower tent and obviously where the HOTAP would be set up.

a submersible pump will not switch off though, which I assume would just blow fittings.

So, my question, can you recommend a diaphragm pump that can handle a considerable amount of Head (incase the shower tent cannot be close to the creek), self prime, and run dry with out trouble?

Are your pumps (maybe the Flotap 12) good for this kind of duty?

Check out our blog where we documented our (interrupted half) trip around Australia: http://fealyfamily.wordpress.com/

2009 Full Off Road All Terrain Camper, bare bones for now, but a few mods in mind.
Tow vehicle is a Prado 120 Series D4D with a little bit of fruit.

Offline LuckyDog

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »
Hi Bart, i also have a question
do you sell the gas and shower rose hoses separatly and how long is the gas hose on your unit?

:cheers:
LD
2016 Landcruiser GXL SC with Obieco Canopy
Kedron 2002 XC poptop
Don't use either as much as i like,
Would every Day be too much to ask tho?

Offline myminirocks

• Tent User
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2015, 10:56:17 PM »
Hey luckydog. I believe the new units not have a 5mtr hose (used to be 2)

Unsure about your other question.
Check out our blog where we documented our (interrupted half) trip around Australia: http://fealyfamily.wordpress.com/

2009 Full Off Road All Terrain Camper, bare bones for now, but a few mods in mind.

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2015, 10:13:17 AM »
Hey guys, what's up?!

@ myminirocks

Yes, mains water/ pressure pump will allow you to use the on/off feature on the shower head in order to control the unit (flow and ignition). Otherwise, you could also use a submersible pump, but you would need to switch it off and on manually. To be honest, I would stick with a pressure pump as the convenience you get from not having to run out of the shower tent half naked, dripping wet just to turn off a pump is great! Haha.

The FLOTAP6 is a 6LPM, 60PSI pressure pump which can self prime for about up to 2m vertically and also run dry. At 60PSI, it really does have a kick to it. The 9m of TDH you need should really be no issue for the FLOTAP6, the only thing that you would need to consider is that you would have slightly less than 6LPM on the pump (due to friction losses in the pipe).

The FLOTAP12 is a 40PSI pressure pump. It can also self prime and run dry. This would be a good solution for your scenario.

Though, my only question is: how often can the shower tent not be close to the creek? If it is often I'd go for the 12LPM, while also trying to find other uses for it besides just for the HOTTAP. It is a great pump and it is great for a range of uses.

If it is not often at all, I'd go for the 6LPM and not worry about the less flow for those few showers. It can still haul water those long distances, granted the flow is not as large as the 12, but if you already have a larger pump then this can do all the smaller tasks. I'm a firm believer in not taking anything that has only one use.

The FLOTAP12 is currently out of stock. We have decided to revise some stuff with it so it's currently in the works, along with an 18LPM pressure pump. So, if you need a larger pump I'd go for something with similar stats to what our FLOTAP12 is.

Please let me know if I missed something out!

@ LuckyDog

Just like myminirocks said, units come with a 5m shower hose! The shower hose is 816kPa rated and UV-treated.

We have a bundle pack that includes a 5m shower hose + shower head. I can also organise a gas hose if need be.

Thanks guys :D

www.joolca.com.au

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2015, 01:59:21 PM »
Hi Bart

Seriously looking at one of your units as the Boss insists on a hot shower at the end of the day!  ;D (&, if it's there, I may as well make use of it as well!  :laugh:

There was mention of a discount for MySwaggers - is it still available?

Thanks

Graeme
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline myminirocks

• Tent User
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2015, 08:33:47 PM »
Thought I'd better update the thread with my Joolca experience so far.

As plenty of people know, hot water systems similar to the Joolca HotTap are all over eBay, and many are cheaper, but let me explain why I went with Joolca.

1. I'm a proud Australian Farmer, if I want people to support me, and Australian producers, I have to "be the change I want to see". So I will always happily support an Australian company, every time.

2. Things go wrong, it's inevitable, and I know from experience, that random, fly by night eBay sellers do not have the words "post sale customer service" in their vocabulary, let alone know the meaning.

3. I have had experience with Chinese manufacture contracts, they are the worlds best at making products that look, feel, act and for all intents and purposes, "be" the product they are copying. But if you ask them to make it $50, or $5, or 00.5c cheaper, they will, and can. It all comes down to the company contracting the manufacture. China can make great quality products (eg Apple) if they are contracted to do so. The argument "they all come out of the same factory" is correct, but I can tell you now, that does not mean they are all the same product.

4. Adrian's videos (especially his explanation on how diaphragm pumps work)

So that was my decision process, so I spoke with Bart and got the Swagger special (which puts it very close to the $$'s of cheap knock offs anyway) and within days, it arrived.

I won't go into the details, but unfortunately, the unit did have an issue. Now here is where I am happy to have supported an Aussie business, I spoke to Joolca rep (Mac) explained the issue, explained that I wanted to be camping this weekend with the HotTap and hoped we could arrange a replacement quickly (expecting to have to send the old unit back, wait for it to be diagnosed/fixed/replaced, then sent back, ie. no way in hell I would have it sorted in a week. Mac understood the problem, said he'd send a new unit (after testing it) immediately, along with a reply paid sticker to send the old one back. Try that on eBay people! I highly doubt it!

So being I was in Darwin all week, I was very happy to find the new unit arrived on Saturday (complete with a hand written note from Bart apologizing for the dramas and assuring me he'd tested it) allowing me all weekend to get it sorted and ready for this weekend.

The new unit worked exactly as expected (better in fact) so count me in as just another very happy Joolca HotTap customer. Photos to come next week after our camp. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2015, 03:44:38 PM »
Great result mate, and well done Joolca :cup:
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2015, 04:31:52 PM »
Great write up Myminirocks and agree it’s when something goes wrong you find out the true service offerings my companies and great to hear real life feedback and even better when it’s positive as.

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 02:44:02 PM »
@ Fizzie (Graeme)

Hey Fizzie, I'll send you a PM so please be on the lookout! Everyone loves a hot shower, haha!

@ myminirocks

Thanks for the kind feedback, we really appreciate! Can't wait to see the images :)

www.joolca.com.au

Offline Rogerthatv2

• Tent User
  • GNDN 4
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »
Hi Bart

Is there any chance that you could send me a price for the kit as well, possibly keen to throw one on the front of our Jayco and have an empty spot : jerry can holder available for it.

Cheers Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2009 Jayco Outback Hawk & Prado 150 Series VX D4D - Now we just have to use it - not look at it!

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 03:40:51 PM »
Hi Bart

That's awesome.  :cup:

PM sent.

Thanks,

Graeme
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline kalmsg

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 10:03:10 PM »
better pm me too...gotta get boss over the line..

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2015, 07:44:01 AM »
G'day Bart, just a quick question for you. What sort of temps would I expect to see out the top and back of the unit? (Exhausting air)
Giving serious thought to one of these units and the mounting would be external but under the slide out bed on the Jayco.

Secondly if you could also pm a swaggers price for a kit with pump that would be appreciated.

Cheers Mark.
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline grantxx

• Tent User
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2015, 12:01:23 PM »
OK I am sold and happy to support a local business, just reviewing your web site, keen to purchase unit, cover and pump, also interested in the quick connect fittings.

I did place a best offer on your ebay store, so ignore that one and I will purchase direct if it saves a couple of $$