Author Topic: For the Cairns locals........ Cairns mid '60's blast from the past.  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Found this on You Tube, thought anyone who lives in Cairns now or always would get a kick out of seeing the town, how it looked around 50 yrs ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sXtjcqV_IA

Enjoy!
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Re: For the Cairns locals........ Cairns mid '60's blast from the past.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »
A classic especially the special sound effects  ;D

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 10:45:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing it with us.
We enjoyed it...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Sundowners

• Tent User
  • Settin' up when the sun goes down.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 12:27:27 AM »
Awesome find! I remember watching these at school.

Shows how much we have "advanced" in this country....

Jason
2004 TD100
2011 Hawk Outback

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 11:24:26 AM »
Ahh glad ya’s liked it........ I was born in Cairns back in ’71...... I can remember it being a pretty big deal to head into town when I was a kid.....
Earliest memories are catching a cab into town with my Grandmother, I remember the cab was a big new Ford XC and it was the flashest and fastest thing I’d ever seen, I think the cabbie gave it a bit of stick just to show it off a bit......... I remember going to Virginia House on Abbot St for no other reason but to go for a ride up 3 floors in an elevator, haha, only building in Cairns that had one back in the day (from memory).
Our family car was a HD Holden Wagon, the old man’s ute was an EK Holden, on the weekends the old man used to head up to our block at Koah (between Kuranda & Mareeba) we were growing water melons....  us kids would ride in the back of the ute with the dog from Cairns to the “humpy” the old man built up the bush, it was dirt floors, bush wood, corrugated iron and plenty of #8 wire holding it all together. Coming home we’d often be riding on the water melons...... I can remember the ol’ ute wasn’t a real quick beast, as sometimes when we were heading up the Kuranda Range, Sally (the dog) would jump from the ute, go take a pee, then chase after us and jump back in, bloody exciting stuff for a kid.......
All the food prep tables and beds etc, had their legs sitting in Jam Tins half filled with water to stop the ants climbing up the legs..........
Lot’s of good memories............
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline rellbell

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2000 gu II + MDC XT12
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 09:26:54 PM »
That's pretty cool, I was born early 60's, but can still remember some of the old buildings in Cairns. We lived in Malanda and used to go down the Gillies Range in mum and dads HR Holden Station Wagon.  They had a house in Barry Street, Westcourt about then as well.  If mum went to Cairns she would bring home breadrolls with little black poppy seeds on them. Memories cheers rellbell