Author Topic: Engel or Waeco  (Read 19046 times)

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Engel or Waeco
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2014, 07:16:10 PM »
Jeeeze, you blokes and ya fridges.
Almost as bad as you blokes and ya d#cks.  >:D >:D >:D (refer advert.)

Works for me  :-* & cold  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Bongo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2014, 08:43:05 PM »
I have an Autofridge 76 litres? And a Waeco 80. I would never buy a Waeco again. I use the over-ride switch on 12 volts 24/7. I have a large 12 volt computer fan between the 2 baskets to disperse air (coolness) evenly. I turn the 12 volts on and off to both the fan and compressor using a relay that is switched by a cheap Chinese thermostat. Not pretty but turns a useless piece of junk into a usable fridge.
Cheers,

Tom.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2014, 11:15:05 AM »
I have an Autofridge 76 litres? And a Waeco 80. I would never buy a Waeco again. I use the over-ride switch on 12 volts 24/7. I have a large 12 volt computer fan between the 2 baskets to disperse air (coolness) evenly. I turn the 12 volts on and off to both the fan and compressor using a relay that is switched by a cheap Chinese thermostat. Not pretty but turns a useless piece of junk into a usable fridge.

I have the waeco 80 and apart from using a bit of juice have had no problems up till now. I think the thermostat has gone as the compressor runs all day cause the readout thinks it is 50 degrees in the fridge
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2014, 05:15:46 PM »
how much power does a waeco chew compared to an engel? I realise this is probably "how long is a piece of string", but

I have an 80 Ltr dual zone, when the compressor is on, it is consuming high 3.x to low 4.x amps. when not cooling, its chewing 0.01

So when the compressor is "cooling" on an engel, whats the consumption
Cheers

Justin

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »
lf it makes cold  , chilled  :cheers: & food , then it can eat generators for all l care . Sitting at home crapping on about how much power it eats on paper , not out there where it counts . Thing are not all on paper after all .
 Sometimes its not in the budget to run the most efficient unit as it is run in a controlled situation as in the shed  .
 lf it works remember there will always be something better , for next time  ;D    :cheers:

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2014, 09:32:09 PM »
Hmmm... Imported fridge or Australian made fridge...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2014, 08:28:26 PM »
Come on after 55 posts its about time this thread is decided . By either $ or reputation . Pick 1 & go for it   ,   or repost in a few months to start it all again . Your Call  8) :cheers:

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2014, 12:38:27 AM »
I'd say they've made up their minds already Speewah, about evenly I'd say.
Never gunna be an answer here.

It comes down to, "If it works then don't fix it."
Or sumfin like dat.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »
does anyone know how the engal fridge freezers work the 57 L one.

Do you use the dial for your freezer temp and it is kind of spill over for the fridge like the waeco 80l

Even though it is a fridge freezer can you run it as all fridge or all freezer ???
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2014, 11:03:45 AM »
does anyone know how the engal fridge freezers work the 57 L one.

Do you use the dial for your freezer temp and it is kind of spill over for the fridge like the waeco 80l

Even though it is a fridge freezer can you run it as all fridge or all freezer ???

I have the very same fridge/freezer, the short answer is now you cant use it as a stand alone fridge. Well I never have anyway.

The freezer side of the fridge is insulated with a lid, and sides, and has a small fan which sends cool air into the fridge compartment, thus cooling the fridge. Works well.

I have mine set on 2.5/3 on the dial and it seems to keep the frozen stuff frozen with ease, and the fridge stuff nice cool, you could change the dial setting during cooler temps and still have it work with no probs, same as for hotter temps I think.

Swanny

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2014, 11:22:12 AM »
Thanks swannie

Now im not sure which way to go as i do like the waeco 80L how you can take the baffles out and use it as a giant fridge which has come in handy for weekends away with a heap of kids and even entertaining in the back yard
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2014, 11:51:47 AM »
Thanks swannie

Now im not sure which way to go as i do like the waeco 80L how you can take the baffles out and use it as a giant fridge which has come in handy for weekends away with a heap of kids and even entertaining in the back yard

My thoughts would be if you have times when you can use it as you say then prob that's the way to go, you just have to ask yourself if the Waeco is value for money.

For me NO, I have seen to many probs with them, but as you have read others on here have had them for years and no dramas, im an Engle fridge man, ive had my first one for years and years and still going strong, touch wood.... ;D.

:cheers: Swanny