Author Topic: The Daily Scam Thread  (Read 106224 times)

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: The Daily Scam Thread
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2017, 05:58:56 PM »
Well its been good while it lasted but the ATO has finally caught up with me for serious tax avoidance and tax evasion ..........or so it seems.
I found a message on my answerphone from a James Anderson of the ATO  today offering me the opportunity to call them back before they escalated it to the Commonwealth Court or issued a warrant for my arrest but whatever I do I must not disregard this warning.
He even left a number  - 02 88800263.

How does this one work ... are they trying to get personal details or remote access to my PC or what ???

Cheers

G

Give him a call and find out.

i just did

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:02:56 PM by oldmate »
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline barnray

• "The Road to my Horizon"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • The Start Of My Trailer
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2017, 06:05:57 PM »
You should Know better!!!!!!!!

Offline Goshen

• Swag User
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »
Give him a call and find out.

i just did

Er well thanks - I did think of that but decided against it. When do you expect to go to prison then ?  ;D

Offline IanS

• Tent User
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2017, 10:39:56 PM »
I must be a bad person as I've had at least four calls from them, apparently the trick they use is to get you to buy ITunes cards and send to them as payment for your misdemeanors, heard on the news a while ago that a shop assistant had an elderly customer who wanted several hundred dollars worth of cards, when she questioned the customer as to why she needed so many was told the story. Luckily she told the customer that the Tax office don't accept ITune cards and pointed her in the direction of Consumer Affairs.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2017, 07:26:25 AM »
And the actual ATO guy that really did bust me was in Adelaide.... ;)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2017, 11:05:20 AM »
The ATO scam is probably as prolific as the traffic accident scam.

A bit of info here: https://www.ato.gov.au/general/online-services/identity-security/verify-or-report-a-scam/
https://www.ato.gov.au/media-centre/media-releases/don-t-get-played-by-itunes-scammers/

The ATO will never:

threaten you with immediate arrest
    ask you to pay money to receive a refund or payment from us
    ask you to pay a debt via iTunes vouchers, or pre-paid credit card or store gift cards
    ask you to provide personal information, such as your tax file number (TFN) or credit card number, via email or SMS
    ask you to pay money into a personal bank account
    direct you to download files from the internet, or open attachments in unsolicited emails.

They won't even tell you that they are taking it to court, over the phone like that.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:07:36 AM by Troopy_03 »
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2017, 08:01:50 PM »
lf the ATO cant find me then the smell of me Cooking The Books isn't strong enough .      Bring it   ON      :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Rocky and Bullwinkle

• Tent User
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2017, 01:49:03 PM »
 A few years ago my wife got an Email, that was so well presented that you would swear that it came from the ATO. It looked so genuine, the give away was in the address line for the web page was something like cz.co and some other crap. Instead of ato.gov.au, go to the second page and it wanted all your details address, dob, passport no, banking details etc etc. So I forwarded it onto the ATO. Let them sort it out, but for an older or gullible person it would seem very genuine. It was for a supposed refund. Plus any correspondence from the ATO to us goes via our accountant.

Greg
2015 Isuzu D Max
2015 Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
The other toy is a
2008 SeaDoo RXTX 255HP

Offline Fox67

• Swag User
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2017, 04:50:54 PM »
ASIC business name renewals are being targeted at the moment, the content is almost faultless except for the email address.
2023 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid
2019 Landcruiser 200 VX TTD
Tent and some camping gear

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2017, 04:50:46 PM »
So I got the Insurance car accident phone call today. After confirming I was in a no fault accident and that I had 8 passengers in a Suzuki Mighty Boy and they all died along with the at fault driver I got escalated to a supervisor. I had to go through the spiel again. What pissed me off after they hung up on me was that I said yes around half a dozen times and the thing that came to me immediately was tha scam about getting the person to say yes and record it for other phone banking scams however they didn't ask for my name so it might be all good.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2017, 12:19:47 PM »
So just had another cold call this time for insurance from a Victorian number. I learnt a lesson after the post above and resisted saying the word yes despite the ladies best intentions of getting me to say it. She tried real hard with loaded questions but managed to avoid it.

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2017, 01:25:34 PM »
A new one to me is a call coming from a sub-continent based female with the name of Anne Williams (yeah right) where they say they are calling from Telstra and that they need to turn your internet off for 6 months. Wife tells me the same woman calls almost every day so when i got the call i told them to F off in no uncertain terms and also that we have never had a Telstra account.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2017, 02:03:24 PM »
I've been getting Shit loads lately... some from weird numbers like +6161421172727 which to me is too many numbers.... ???
Shit loads from Mobile phones
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2017, 02:57:45 PM »
I updated my phone a month a go to the S8 with Telstra. One of its features is that it can pick out scam phone numbers and peoples names who are not in my contacts. Has been great as I no longer get to talk to a call center.

GG

Offline Mark120

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2017, 03:40:52 PM »
Telstra phoned me to today as overseas hackers were accessing my internet connection.

"Very very bad and you must do everything I say" she said. "I'm from the Telstra technical department and you have to trust me"

Ok who are you ringing I asked.... scary thing was she had my name and address correct.

Next question stumped her and she hung up "what type of plan do I have?"

Bugger I wanted to play some more   :D
Prado 120 - Camprite TX6

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2017, 04:28:51 PM »
We've just been had. Someone spoofed one of the kids iPad sims and used it overseas to rack up $1500 worth of data charges. Currently in negotiations with Optus

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »
Is this a scam then?
Starting yesterday I have had 15-20 calls on my mobile, most from different numbers, asking to speak to a "Wendy". Apparently "Wendy" partook in an online survey & ticked a box that she wanted info from several companies involved in the survey. It seems that she made an error in typing her mobile number & came up with mine!
Each person who has phoned me (Aussies) has apologized & has told me that they have placed me on their "Do not call" registers.
It could happen I suppose!
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2017, 05:13:13 PM »

Next question stumped her and she hung up "what type of plan do I have?"

Hi,

Also.... What is my account number?
..............What amount was my last payment?
...............So what is the name and IP address of this computer that you say is infected?
............But I have 3 computers, which one is infected?

Or...But my windows have just been cleaned!

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline Mark120

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2017, 05:32:05 PM »

Or...But my windows have just been cleaned!

I will use that next time someone from the  Microsoft Technical Department calls wanting access to the computer.  Cheers

Prado 120 - Camprite TX6

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »

Is this a scam then?

Depends.  Does Wendy work on an oil rig, or remote military base with no telephone communication?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2017, 06:17:23 PM »
I know of someone who got scammed using a recorded voice of theirs to purchase mobile phones and credit.

It does happen and apparently it's quite easy to do.........

I fell victim to identity theft a few years ago, but it amounted to not a lot. Just some crim trying to use my id to get a passport.
Police sorted it out quick smart for me.

These days when I get a call from someone I don't recognise I just ignore it or answer saying " Jobs done, but what do you want me do with the body?"
After a few try's to get me to listen to them, I get agitated and say "Seriously I don't have time, I have to do something with this body"
They then usually hang up.

It amuses me for a while and pees them right off.
Since I've been doing it the volume of calls seem to have dropped off. Just hope ASIO don't get wind of it >:D >:D >:D
I could have some explaining to do.......... :-[

Just don't say "yes" to anything over the phone and if they have to scam it or sell it, you don't want it.

Cheers, Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2017, 06:46:53 AM »

With the number of scams out there SWMBO and I simply don't answer any calls from numbers not in our contacts on our mobile phones or on our caller id on the home phone.
If it's a legit call I reckon they will leave a message.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2017, 11:53:42 AM »
Is this a scam then?
Starting yesterday I have had 15-20 calls on my mobile, most from different numbers, asking to speak to a "Wendy". Apparently "Wendy" partook in an online survey & ticked a box that she wanted info from several companies involved in the survey. It seems that she made an error in typing her mobile number & came up with mine!
Each person who has phoned me (Aussies) has apologized & has told me that they have placed me on their "Do not call" registers.
It could happen I suppose!
Steve

I'd also be looking around at co-workers/friends whenever your phone rang to see if any have a cheeky smile on their face.

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2017, 12:41:12 PM »
I'd also be looking around at co-workers/friends whenever your phone rang to see if any have a cheeky smile on their face.

I can imagine that being played out by people but I'm "Retired" so have no co-workers (and even less friends!)
Can't be neighbours either as nearest visible neighbours are 2 klm away.

Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2017, 03:38:28 PM »
Quote from: briann532
I know of someone who got scammed using a recorded voice of theirs to purchase mobile phones and credit.

It does happen and apparently it's quite easy to do.........
so once again "technology" is ****ing us over.. we aren't moving forward at all... Much harder to get scammed when you have to walk into a business in person to do your dealings. 
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home