Author Topic: Which on road sat nav?  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Which on road sat nav?
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 02:06:20 PM »
I reckon they would all have fine print on what 'lifetime' actually means.

I'm pretty sure they aren't referring to the owner's lifetime.  ;D
It just means you can keep updating the maps indefinitely until the unit dies, which at some point it will.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2019, 02:38:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure they aren't referring to the owner's lifetime.  ;D
It just means you can keep updating the maps indefinitely until the unit dies, which at some point it will.
Garmin lifetime maps is based on the market lifetime of the unit, ie when a Garmin GPS is replaced with a new model, that is the lifetime. This means you can buy a new Garmin GPS at Johnny Appleseed, take it home and register it, pay your $198 lifetime maps subscription, and the next day have a new model released superceding your purchase. At that point your lifetime maps end. This happened to me with a BMW navigator III (Garmin streetpilot 2820 from memory) although it was about 6 months, not the next day. :'(
Map updates are only as accurate as the local roads authorities are. New 2019 Garmin maps still has a 70kph radar warning at Blacksoil from when they were building the new interchange about 10 years ago.
Cheers.
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2019, 04:34:05 PM »
Map updates are only as accurate as the local roads authorities are.

One option there is to use one of the maps that runs on OpenStreetMap - MapsMe or OSMAND.

Then you can go in & edit the map yourself to correct street names, numbers, speed limits, lanes, traffic lights etc etc etc ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday