Author Topic: For users of Photobucket  (Read 43176 times)

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Re: For users of Photobucket
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2017, 04:07:01 PM »

I think buying a package off godaddy for $4 a month and having your own server space is the best way. At least you are in control of it then. I just use Lychee software to organise my photos, its really easy to use and free :)

This is the way I am thinking, for a computer nufty like me, is it hard to set up and get going. If possible I might even put together a website for the cable gig. From what I can see the basic set up allows for one website. Am I missing anything

GG

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »
Nah really easy mate. I might even write a basic tutorial for a couple of different ways to use a server to store your pics if there's any interest?
Yes the basic setup gives you a free domain but only for the first 12 months then it costs around $20 a year to reregister your domain name.
Also the $4 a month special also supposedly runs out and turns into $8 a month I think it is but the in reality they always offer the same deal if you renew early each year.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2017, 04:59:41 PM »
And I should also add that godaddy has fantastic phone support.
So even things like pointing your domain name to your server (which is also really easy and virtually automated) can be done by them with a quick phone call. And you always get to speak to an easy to understand and very helpful person on the phone. If American accents are easy to understand but the service really is outstanding.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2017, 05:10:34 PM »
Nah really easy mate. I might even write a basic tutorial for a couple of different ways to use a server to store your pics if there's any interest?

Yes please Danny! :D

Is it something that then only lives online somewhere, or do you need hardware at home to run ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2017, 05:14:49 PM »
Yes please Danny! :D

Is it something that then only lives online somewhere, or do you need hardware at home to run ???

No its just an online server. You only need a web browser to use it.

Its no different to how any website/business etc users a web host to store their websites etc.

Ill do a quick tutorial tonight.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2017, 05:19:09 PM »
For now I am back using the MySwag gallery.

I'm going to look into this as well, because probably 90% of what I had on BotoPhuket were MySwag shots, with more to go on :'(

Just as a thought / something to discuss - how about a small charge for use of the MySwag gallery ??? I'm making up figures here as I have no idea of what I'm talking about but let's say $5pa = 5GB 2GB of storage, with options for larger amounts. Would that cover increased server costs ??? As I say, I have no idea of what costs are ??? :-[

Edit: Just went into PB to check $, storage capacity etc. "Free" a/c allows 2GB of storage. The ~80 photos & 2 videos I've got on there are ~4% capacity so that would allow me to have ~2000 photos on there. Maybe change what I suggested above to be $5 for 2GB?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:23:07 PM by Fizzie »
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2017, 05:19:30 PM »
Hi,
    Found this...

https://youtu.be/hfldiBAxerQ

While researching Lychee.

Cheers

I don't understand all of it, but get the general gist.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2017, 06:46:04 PM »
I'm liking these ideas, a bit of a tutorial would be very helpful to a lot of people , though I guess there'd be some on youtube too  :cheers:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2017, 06:52:18 PM »
Ok so this is a very basic tutorial on how to use a web host to store your photos plus a few extras.

It is possibly a bit vague but I am happy to answer any questions if you need extra help.

First of all you need to sign up and purchase some web hosting off a reputable but inexpensive provider. There are 1000's of them out there. I personally use godaddy because they are over and above when it comes to helping out, they are reasonably cheap and very reliable. And lets face it, they are one of the largest. But having said that I am certain there are many more just as good.

Here is godaddys offerings for example. They always have the $3.99 per month deal. I know it says $10.99 when you renew but they always offer the deal if you renew early or for a multitude of reasons to keep you using their servers. I buy 3 years at a time so I dont have to mess around with renewing and offers etc.
My Ozisuzu forums however use a total different package, but for this purpose a basic shared server is more than adequate.

So assuming you have done that, you are logged in, you now need to find your 'cpanel' and go to it.

For the sake of this tutorial I am going to do everything through the cpanel. There are other ways (faster and more of a drag and drop style such as you would on your pc) by using an FTP client, but we will get to that later.
Cpanel is very easy to use and easy to explain so we will stick to that to start with. And also, nearly every server provider you can buy hosting off uses cpanel so this tutorial will work for 98% of hosting providers.

This is what your cpanel looks like when you are logged into it.

What we want to go to here is the 'File Manager'. Click on it........
And this is what you will see. Mine has all sorts of folders etc in it. Yours wont have any where near as many folders or files because you havent put anything on your server. I have blurred out some sensitive info but this is the server that contains my Isuzu forums. Myswags would look very similar but of course it has the myswag forums not ozisuzu ;)

On the top row you see +files and +folders. Click on the +folders and lets make a new folder and call it 'Photos'. You will notice that the folder is being put in the 'public html' folder. This is your root directory or in my case where my domain name points to..........www.ozisuzu.com.au. So anything I put in there is always prefixed with that domain name.

So now we have made the folder called 'Photos' lets click on it so we are inside it and then click on the 'upload' text up the top line. This will pop up an upload box where you simply navigate to a folder on your computers hard drive to find the photo you want to upload. Or any file for that matter. It may be a pdf file for instance.
But select your photo and upload it. You will then see the photo in your Photos folder.
I uploaded a photo called myswagtut1.jpeg

So now if we go to this address.......www.ozisuzu.com.au/Photos/myswagtut1.jpeg you will see your photo.

Simple isnt it. All you need to do then is wrap that address in the
Code: [Select]
[img]........[/img] tags and the pic will show on the forum and no one like photobucket can start charging you extra to link it!!

So that is the slow long way around putting a photo on your own server  ;) But it shows the basic idea of owning your own server space, so now lets look at some other ways to achieve the same thing only faster and/or more organised.

Go back to your 'cpanel' and scroll down you will see 'web applications'. You want to now click on view more........

These are all the many web based applications that you can install on your server to do pretty much anything. Anything from forums such as this, to online shops, to photo organising software, to blogs etc etc ....just go there and have a look.
In fact install something and have a play with it!! Its easy to uninstall later and it does no harm to your server.

Have a look at them all, there are heaps of free and fantastic web based programs that millions of people and business' use to run their web sites. Including myself and myswag, we both use simple machines forums to run our forums.

But for the sake of this tutorial lets navigate down to one of the photos and files apps and click on 'gallery' for instance.

When you click on it, it will take you to the install page. Simply click on install this application and follow the very basic prompts.

Always write down any usernames or passwords you use and any other names it may ask you to put in such as the database name...assuming it asks you to provide a name and doesnt do it automatically (i think it gives you options but either way write it all down if you plan on using one of these apps)

So once it is installed it gives you the web address to go to, to use it. Generally all applications will have an 'admin' area, where you do all the settings such as colours, names, themes etc etc and then they have a front of house area where you see all the things you have changed in the admin area.
So in the case of myswag for instance, the administrators are seeing a whole different thing to us users that are using the front of house area...if that makes sense.

But anyway, have a play with the software provided. I tried several of them and to be honest didnt like any of them because they were too hard to use for what I wanted them for. Which is basically just organizing my photos into albums and then giving me a link I can put into forums to display those photos.

So now that we know the basics, we can give it some time for any questions to come in that I havent covered then we can look at using an FTP client to make things much faster and easier and then to installing a program such as Lychee that will definitely automate and make the whole process (photobucket style system) very simple and easy to use.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you want me to keep proceeding to the FTP client tutorial and/or the Lychee installation tutorial??

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build
The following users thanked this post: Tim - Stratford, paceman

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2017, 07:10:26 PM »
Brilliant, thanks Danny  :cup: FTP tutorial would be good too   :cheers:

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #160 on: July 14, 2017, 07:34:30 PM »
Great work Danny, the more info the better

GG

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #161 on: July 14, 2017, 09:54:58 PM »
The quickest and easiest way to transfer files to and from your server is via an FTP client.

In my case I use Filezilla for my FTP client. Its free and luckily for us it works on Mac and Windows. So if you have come this far download and install Filezilla for whatever operating system you use. I use Mac but thats irrelevant as I am sure its the same program on either Mac or Windows, except it will work flawlessly on Mac with no virus's, reboots, reinstalls etc that you poor windows users would be experiencing  ;D

Ok back to the tutorial ;)

Go back to your 'cpanel' and click on 'FTP accounts' 

Once there make an account. As you can see here I made one called myswag, assigned it a password and created the account. You may also see that you can change the directory folder that will be contained in your root directory (public html folder) but I just left it as myswag. So if we go back to our 'file manager' via the cpanel, we will now see a new folder called myswag.

But no need to go back to your file manager because we are now going to open our ftp client. In this case I opened filezilla.
So once opened you can see up the top where you now log in using the details you just created.
In my case the host is ozisuzu.com.au, the username is myswag@ozisuzu.com.au and the password is obviously the password I created. Leave the port blank or put 21 in it, either one will work but in the case of godaddy it is 21 however filezilla knows how to work this out if you leave it blank.
There are other ways to automate this process which may become obvious to you when you set up an ftp user via your cpanel. It gives you a link to a file to download that has the 'configure ftp client' file in it that you can import into filezilla, but to be honest I have found it to be a bit buggy in the past with some ftp clients, and I have used many over the years, so just log in manually as I just described.

After you log in to your FTP account you will see your computers hard drive on the left and your servers hard drive on the right (it defaults to that myswag folder on the server.)
So just navigate to where all your photos are kept on your computer on the left hand pane and simply drag and drop them all to the folder on the right hand pane. In my case its the myswag folder however you can make a new folder in filezilla quite easily by right clicking in that right hand pane and drag your pics to that folder if you like. Great for making albums etc.

Its that easy. Now if you go back to your file manager you will now see a new folder called myswag (or whatever you wanted to call it) and it will have all those photos you dragged into it. You can now link them as I explained in part 1 of the tutorial. So in my case its www.ozisuzu.com.au/myswag/myswagtut8.jpeg or whaetever you called your image. Clearly the easier you name your pics the easier it is to link them on a forum if this is the process you decide to use.

But having explained all that, there is another way to accomplish all this, and it is by using Lychee. Ill make a tutorial on installing it and using it on your server. Lychee is a program that makes all this very user friendly in the long term but the way I just described is preferred by some people. I am using Lychee.

Feel free to ask any questions if your trying to get this all set up and you run into problems.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build
The following users thanked this post: Tim - Stratford, plusnq

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2017, 06:38:12 AM »
Great effort there Danny, well done as it is most helpful.
I just hope I don't need your tutorial.
I have been using Flickr and don't want to lose my stuff on it, I see no mention of the free account shutting down, and hope it stays that way.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2017, 07:48:08 AM »
Great work Danny, the more info the better

x2

I've been using GoDaddy for years via FTP, I didn't know about the control panel file manager app, makes it easy to upload files  :cup:
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2017, 08:17:30 AM »
Stuff 'em all.

I'm gunna wait until FukkBucket comes back crawling on their knees begging me to accept their apology and let me go back to free third party posting.

I've gotta sixpack of beer and a comfy chair and i'm gunna sit back and wait.   
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #165 on: July 16, 2017, 08:34:47 AM »
Good luck with that kev.
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #166 on: July 16, 2017, 09:24:20 AM »
I went through all our external hard drives and USB sticks looking for my Rocky build photos (that went missing from photo bucket) with no luck.
I figured they were gone forever.
I just found them all on my Facebook so Im a happy person again.
Now to finish building my website so I can put them up again.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #167 on: July 16, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »
Stuff 'em all.

I'm gunna wait until FukkBucket comes back crawling on their knees begging me to accept their apology and let me go back to free third party posting.

I've gotta sixpack of beer and a comfy chair and i'm gunna sit back and wait.

That'll be me as well. I don't really need to have photos on a site, and any website that doesn't allow you to post up a photo from your own computer ( small size ) will just have to do without !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #168 on: July 16, 2017, 06:16:16 PM »
.....I don't really need to have photos on a site, and any website that doesn't allow you to post up a photo from your own computer ( small size ) will just have to do without !!

Hey, I've been doing that all along Gronk. I must be ahead of the game  ;D ;D....(that'd be a first)....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #169 on: July 16, 2017, 07:12:11 PM »
That'll be me as well. I don't really need to have photos on a site, and any website that doesn't allow you to post up a photo from your own computer ( small size ) will just have to do without !!
I find the only problem with that is on some forums you can put the photo within the text so it's in context of your post,  and some you have to tack them on the end which doesn't look quite right to me 

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #170 on: July 17, 2017, 06:09:04 AM »
Hey Photo Bucket, stick this where the monkey put the penny, ya pile of steaming dog sh!t.

I worked out how to do from the computer....... so go and get f.....

(My wife had to show me.)

My two girls when we were out and about on the Sunshine Coast on Saturday.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »
I told ya in 2015,
I'll tell ya again,
Geez, you bunch well above ya weight.

:cup:

:cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2017, 09:30:57 AM »
Photobucket have no doubt created the perfect example of 'how not to do it' when it comes to making money from a web site.
Guaranteed they will be example number 1 in nearly every business and IT course for many years to come.

I'm an infrequent user of the surfing website Swellnet, I haven't looked at there forum in many many years (I'm not a hard core, 40 foot big wave killer like all of other forum posters on there are).
But their web site is one of my favorites for surf forecasting and current observations and I do occasionally read their very well written articles.
They offered up a paid version of their site a few years ago, but I didn't need any of the extra features that came with the Pro version, so I didn't subscribe.

But this morning I received this email from Ben (the website owner) and now I'm considering coughing up some cash.

A lessen for all website owners that want to move to a user pays model, THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE.......

We need to have a talk about Subscriptions
By Ben Matson

A little more than fifteen years ago, I started Swellnet.

We’ve come a long way since I penned my first long range forecasts for the South Oz Mid and South Coasts - which, to a small select group of SA crew, began several years earlier as one-pager faxed through to Cutloose every week.
Since that time there’s been an enormous change across the surf industry, and also across the broader media landscape.

In the early 2000’s, digital media was still somewhat of an unknown entity - everyone knew the online revolution was just around the corner, but the business model underpinning this transformation hadn’t become clear.

A decade and a half later, it seems nothing much has changed. No-one is quite sure how to generate money online.

Whilst the first few years of Swellnet’s existence were essentially an unpaid hobby, by 2005 there were trickles of advertising revenue to be found. Within a few years, the business had enough revenue to employ Swellnet’s first full time staff member Stu Nettle, who’s still waiting patiently for a repeat of the East Coast Lows we saw in 2007.

And ever since then we’ve been fortunate to build the business up to a point where we have four full time staff, plus our surf report team and other editorial contributors. Swellnet is a company whose staff and contributors I am immensely proud of.

But there’s still a lot of things we want to do - we’ve got a massive backlog of as-yet undeveloped forecasts tools to build. And we need to focus on building better Apps. These things require significant investment.

For much of its existence, Swellnet’s primary source of revenue has been advertising. But, as we’re all too used to hearing in the mainstream media, advertising revenue is slowly sliding across all media companies - not just due to a weakened economy, but because significant chunks of advertising budgets are now being channeled to Social Media giants like Facebook.

This problem ain’t exclusive to the surf industry either. No doubt you’ve heard of the massive editorial layoffs at Fairfax, News Limited and other publishers across Australia and around the world. Fortunately, Swellnet is not in the same boat as these large media companies.

However, this means that all publishers - including small websites like Swellnet - need to find new revenue streams in what’s a pretty tough business environment. Paid subscriptions are the most transparent and direct relationship between you and Swellnet, and the best way to show your support.

So, first up, I’d like to thank all of our current and former Swellnet Pro subscribers for their help over the last couple of years. Your contributions have helped Swellnet in a massive way.

For everyone else, I’d ask if you would consider subscribing to Swellnet. By helping a small Australian business, you’re also helping the local economy. And you’ll be assisting us to build better tools to get you surfing in better waves more often.

If you don’t want to subscribe to Swellnet, that’s fine. I understand that everyone’s got their own preferred surfing website, and Swellnet may not be your number one destination.

But… and here comes the rub… please consider subscribing to something, be it Surfline, Magic Seaweed, Coastalwatch, White Horses, Tracks Magazine or anyone else - if you use their services, show your support by giving them some of your hard-earned.

Every single surfer on the planet has benefited from a surf story, a photo essay, a long range forecast or a live surfcam at some point in their lives. And the best way to acknowledge their hard work is to give something back in return.

If you’d like to subscribe, we’ve got a $1 introductory offer for the first month - and you’ll also go in the draw for a holiday to Nias for you and a mate, including flights and accomodation.

Check it out here: https://www.swellnet.com/pro/subscribe/chooseplan

Thanks for your support.

Ben Matson Founder, Swellnet.com

PS: if you want to comment, you're welcome to in the original article here: https://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-dispatch/2017/07/14/we-need-have-talk-about-subscriptions

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2017, 09:51:09 AM »
Well done Swellnet  :cup: :cup: :cup:
It's not that hard really is it

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »
This is the way I am thinking, for a computer nufty like me, is it hard to set up and get going. If possible I might even put together a website for the cable gig. From what I can see the basic set up allows for one website. Am I missing anything

GG
you log in
it shows you the 2 computers  - yours - the server
you select the file you want to upload, then on the right side open teh folder you want it to go into
then press the arrow pointing to the server nad it uploads
mission accomplished
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home