Author Topic: For users of Photobucket  (Read 42018 times)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: For users of Photobucket
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
Perhaps this will-
http://www.mediachannel.org/google-facebook-and-the-death-of-journalism/
and that sort of prediction has come to fruition with some head scratching as to what to do about it-
http://theconversation.com/we-should-levy-facebook-and-google-to-fund-journalism-heres-how-77946

They end up capturing all the ad revenue and crowding out quality journalism along with the general copyright abuse they free-ride on. The Photo Buckets of the world suffer accordingly.

Righito, you have to go on a really wild tangent bit I'll go with you for a bit.

The main outrage over this is in regards to the amount they are charging. If someone wanted paid hosting, and decided to look at the available options, Photobucket new $400/yr would likely be the first to get scratched it's that bad compared to the other available options. The only way this gets any subscriber's is by employing the bait and switch model which is the option they seem to be taking.

Now to follow you on the they are being forced into this due to shrinking ad revenue tangent, even though I think it's pretty obvious there is a lot more going on here than that.

Your premise seems to be based on the stats that showed rapidly growing ad revenue for Google/Facebook but a slight contraction for everyone else. Setting aside the high probability that those figures include Google's Adsense revenue which in reality would fundamentally flaw those figures. Ad revenue is a product of traffic, price per ad and ads per page.

Photobuckets ads per page are off the scale, so that leaves traffic and price per ad as the way Google/Facebook must be "taking" their revenue, and in a free market, if that's the case, then that is PB's failure.

The journalism side of things is where I'll hop of this tangent except to say that, without downplaying the role of quality journalism, most of it sounds the same as I have heard from other professions subject to major digital distribution pining for the good old days.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:45:50 AM by tryagain »

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2017, 11:09:28 AM »
And just WTF does journalism have to do with PB ? Journalism has been going into the gutter for years, just watch the evening "news" .
The uproar about PB has NOTHING to do with journalism, it's about the charge they have imposed and they way they have done it. So no matter how much you ( prodigyrf )  try and muddy the waters again, the facts are the facts

spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2017, 11:30:49 AM »
Actually this is the death of journalism....
https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/fox-news-down-under?utm_term=.wo4MLBGpB#.ryvRDnVrn

I actually have no issue with privately owned media being either right or left wing biased whether it be sky on the right or say the Guardian or the New Matilda on the left. I think in fact it is better to have voices from different persuasions prosecuting their case as opposed everyone singing from the same songsheet.

For now I am back using the MySwag gallery.

I think in an ideal world, this is the way it should be. Users of this forum benefit from the pictures posted here so the site/users should pay for the bandwidth. Whether that be through ads or contributions membership fees etc.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2017, 03:32:44 PM »
And just WTF does journalism have to do with PB ? Journalism has been going into the gutter for years, just watch the evening "news" .
The uproar about PB has NOTHING to do with journalism, it's about the charge they have imposed and they way they have done it. So no matter how much you ( prodigyrf )  try and muddy the waters again, the facts are the facts

If you say so but I see a bigger picture with the 'free lunch' (really advertising paid) shrinking for lots of players in the marketplace due to being captured by a small coterie of large players. That's not their fault just a fact of life and the PBs of the world have to respond to emergent market reality. Whether they've got their sums right is not for me to say but they're saying take it or leave it and no doubt they're more than happy to see the freeloaders walk down the road to their opposition. The risk in doing that is you just cop the same again later on if you're not reading all the signs. Suit yourself but none of them are your mum.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:43:25 PM by prodigyrf »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2017, 06:00:32 PM »
C'mon Prodigyyrf, you really have gone off on you're own little tangent with this thread, you have your theories, that's fine, and I neither agree or disagree with them. What the majority of people are commenting/complaining about is NOT a free lunch gone, or a freeloading lunch as you put it, but the WAY pb has gone about this whole exercise. 
And you didn't answer my previous comment but have done your best to derail the thread again.
And please keep personal comments to your self

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »
Tangent? It's all valid analysis about funding models and trends in digital media as far as I can see?

The self appointed thread police are busy today.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2017, 06:29:17 PM »
Tangent? It's all valid analysis about funding models and trends in digital media as far as I can see?

The self appointed thread police are busy today.

Well start a thread about that subject yourself then, and thank you for the acknowledgment

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline The punter

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2017, 06:38:42 PM »
Well start a thread about that subject yourself then, and thank you for the acknowledgment

Why?, it is what this thread is about already - changes in commercial models and the impact of those changes on users of said service.

I see no tangent, and the last I looked, you aren't a mod. So I'll choose to continue to participate on this thread thanks.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45
The following users thanked this post: Tim - Stratford

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2017, 11:15:22 PM »
Ah so punter and prod are going to stick to the old tried and proven system of ganging up  and muddying the waters for long enough and that will become their truth  ???
Why?, it is what this thread is about already - changes in commercial models ( only one) and the impact of those changes (that change)on users of said service.

I see no tangent, ( better open your eyes as well as your mouth then)and the last I looked, you aren't a mod.(never even hinted that I was) So I'll choose to continue to participate on this thread thanks.

I would suggest that you go back and have a good look at what has actually been said in this thread, 90% has been about the how , the when, and the notification and the cost.
Very little bleating about where can we get the same service again for free.

Only you two Bobbsy twins have gone off talking about google/facebook and journalism etc which has absolutely nothing to do with the original thread, and I guess that if I go through all of your posts there wont be a single image of the PB warning either .

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline The punter

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2017, 12:27:44 AM »
Ah so punter and prod are going to stick to the old tried and proven system of ganging up  and muddying the waters for long enough and that will become their truth  ???
I would suggest that you go back and have a good look at what has actually been said in this thread, 90% has been about the how , the when, and the notification and the cost.
Very little bleating about where can we get the same service again for free.

Only you two Bobbsy twins have gone off talking about google/facebook and journalism etc which has absolutely nothing to do with the original thread, and I guess that if I go through all of your posts there wont be a single image of the PB warning either .

I'm so glad you don't run this forum, it'd be pretty bloody boring.

Heads up pops, you don't run the show here and get to tell people what they can and can't post about in a section of the forum titled "general discussion"

Oh, and having a crack at Prodigy about personal comments yet saying four posts later "better open your eyes as well as your mouth" just makes you look silly.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:32:52 AM by The punter »
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2017, 04:10:15 AM »
"avoiding grey nomads since 2011"....... ha ha ha ha ha bet ya wished you avoided one more too.  ;D
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.
The following users thanked this post: The punter

Offline The punter

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2017, 08:50:17 AM »
"avoiding grey nomads since 2011"....... ha ha ha ha ha bet ya wished you avoided one more too.  ;D

This is why I don't camp in places where there are caravans  :cheers:
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2017, 11:13:10 AM »
Just another example of things correcting themselves in the digital space. No such thing as a free lunch. We will see significantly more of this as the digital economy matures.

Sure, it's heavy handed, but it's a bit rich all of this "how dare they" talk when nobody paid a cent in the first place. Want service? Pay for it. Anything else just sounds like whiney millennials who think movies come from BitTorrent and cost nothing to make.

TV, radio, local papers have all been available for free (cash wise) for a long time, the payment is in the form of consuming some advertising. This isn't a new concept only applicable to the digital medium, other far more expensive to run business models have survived this way for many years. This is far from just an "example of things correcting themselves" this is more like a bait and switch measure born out of corporate greed. A small fee comparable to other available services wouldn't have attracted anywhere near the outcry. 

I think it is obviously a tangent when you are comparing journalism to picture hosting, it may somewhat be related but not really relevant to the point most are making hence a tangent. The point most are making is that Photobucket has gone from offering an ad-supported service to one charging an exorbitant fee overnight. Yes, it is their legal right to do so, but I'll very much enjoy watching their demise. I still haven't decided if just deleting my account, or using up the other 99% of my available hosting so they have to store it whilst not ever visiting their site again for them to get ad revenue from me is the better option.

As an aside, I use an Adblocker on sites that I think overdo advertising, or sites I have no intention of supporting. On Photobucket home page it just blocked 53 ads then clicked through to my library and it blocked 61 ad's  :o I think that should put to bed most of the "shrinking revenue" and "free lunch" theories to bed.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »
More of the same and you're not even safe with first adopter advantage-
http://www.msn.com/en-au/money/company-news/zuckerberg-couldnt-buy-snapchat-years-ago-and-now-hes-close-to-destroying-it/ar-BBEkliV

No good being grumpy because your digital world is shifting out from under your feet. Go cry in your beer with the Snapchat investors.
Meanwhile free to air Channel 10 is in trouble while Stan and Netflix raise their prices so go figure.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »
This is why I don't camp in places where there are caravans  :cheers:

Some of us with caravans are ok. Its just the retired ones with nothing to do.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2017, 12:40:30 PM »
More of the same and you're not even safe with first adopter advantage-
http://www.msn.com/en-au/money/company-news/zuckerberg-couldnt-buy-snapchat-years-ago-and-now-hes-close-to-destroying-it/ar-BBEkliV

No good being grumpy because your digital world is shifting out from under your feet. Go cry in your beer with the Snapchat investors.
Meanwhile free to air Channel 10 is in trouble while Stan and Netflix raise their prices so go figure.

which has precisely 0 to do with the point people are trying to make.

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
My point exactly

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2017, 01:39:39 PM »
Some of us with caravans are ok. Its just the retired ones with nothing to do.
You're only jealous  >:D >:D ;D

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: For users of Phot
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2017, 01:43:28 PM »
it may somewhat be related but not really relevant to the point most are making hence a tangent.

With respect, it seems like the words 'most are' should maybe be replaced with 'I'm'.....?

With a generic thread title, a first post by the OP which could be interpreted differently by many within a sub topic of general discussion.... I'm not sure why this thread is expected to stay on some pre-defined tangent?

Every second thread I read on this forum and others seems to go off on tangents, why should this one be any different  ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:45:15 PM by rotare »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: For users of Phot
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2017, 02:42:15 PM »
Looking for something to replace Photo crap. All my trip reports, build threads and half of the POTM will have their crap work all through it now. I only got their courtesy email today. They can stick the subscription where it can hurt the most.

GG

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2017, 02:51:18 PM »
Looking for something to replace Photo crap. All my trip reports, build threads and half of the POTM will have their crap work all through it now. I only got their courtesy email today. They can stick the subscription where it can hurt the most.

GG

Imgur seems like a really good free one. Who knows how long itll be free for though.

I think buying a package off godaddy for $4 a month and having your own server space is the best way. At least you are in control of it then. I just use Lychee software to organise my photos, its really easy to use and free :)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2017, 02:55:08 PM »

GG

Me too, I only used it because the linking was easy, the actual site was crap 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:57:53 PM by xcvator »

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2017, 02:55:26 PM »
With respect, it seems like the words 'most are' should maybe be replaced with 'I'm'.....?

Nope, I am sure if you read through the posts and take my quote in full context you will see that you will find that it is very accurate.

With a generic thread title, a first post by the OP which could be interpreted differently by many within a sub topic of general discussion.... I'm not sure why this thread is expected to stay on some pre-defined tangent?

I think it's pretty obvious that this thread is about PB's updated terms and conditions and therefore people wanting alternatives with most people being unhappy about the way PB has gone about it. I think thought others inferring this is a new digital reality forced upon them due to their shrinking ad revenue and people had no right to be annoyed about it was BS so called them out on it, and have seen some fine weaselling since then, I think I have addressed the issues with their assertions pretty clearly.   

Every second thread I read on this forum and others seems to go off on tangents, why should this one be any different  ;D
Some tangents can remain relevant to a point, but when you take a leap to something with no tenable connection then that's an issue, it seems to me that some when they have the error of their assertions pointed out rather than addressing it just jump to a new assertion.

I have no issue with robust discussion, I am happy for anyone to pick apart my arguments and take none of it personally.

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
Nope, I am sure if you read through the posts and take my quote in full context you will see that you will find that it is very accurate.

I think it's pretty obvious that this thread is about PB's updated terms and conditions and therefore people wanting alternatives with most people being unhappy about the way PB has gone about it. I think thought others inferring this is a new digital reality forced upon them due to their shrinking ad revenue and people had no right to be annoyed about it was BS so called them out on it, and have seen some fine weaselling since then, I think I have addressed the issues with their assertions pretty clearly.   
Some tangents can remain relevant to a point, but when you take a leap to something with no tenable connection then that's an issue, it seems to me that some when they have the error of their assertions pointed out rather than addressing it just jump to a new assertion.

I have no issue with robust discussion, I am happy for anyone to pick apart my arguments and take none of it personally.
Well said,  :cup: and the 2 people leading the charge to go off at a tangent have done this before in previous threads. Maybe because I'm older and senile I just can't work out why the hell Punter and Prog seem to think there is a link to PB with their arguments.
I don't think anybody denies that PB has the right to charge a fee for their services, user pays is fine by me, but before you start an argument and bring in extraneous garbage go back and read the whole thread, the vast MAJORITY are complaining ABOUT the WAY PB has gone about this whole exercise   

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"