Author Topic: For users of Photobucket  (Read 43026 times)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: For users of Photobucket
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2017, 11:24:00 PM »
It's not "What" that is the problem, it's the "How"
Chopping off only the 3rd party moochers linking to them for nothing and increasing their costs while other sites get the benefit of shrinking ad revenue?
 https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/30/photobucket_charging_400yr_3rdparty_pgs/
What a bunch of unfeeling Mother Theresas eh? It's enough to make a bloke take his freeloading business down the road to the Salvos  ;D
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.
The following users thanked this post: The punter

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2017, 11:39:13 PM »
Just another example of things correcting themselves in the digital space. No such thing as a free lunch. We will see significantly more of this as the digital economy matures.

Sure, it's heavy handed, but it's a bit rich all of this "how dare they" talk when nobody paid a cent in the first place. Want service? Pay for it. Anything else just sounds like whiney millennials who think movies come from BitTorrent and cost nothing to make.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2017, 03:46:49 AM »
I'd happily pay a couple of dollars a year.... 50, 75.... 99 ...but not 500.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2017, 05:46:25 AM »
Just another example of things correcting themselves in the digital space. No such thing as a free lunch. We will see significantly more of this as the digital economy matures.

Sure, it's heavy handed, but it's a bit rich all of this "how dare they" talk when nobody paid a cent in the first place. Want service? Pay for it. Anything else just sounds like whiney millennials who think movies come from BitTorrent and cost nothing to make.

Exactly, all this 'extortion' & 'ransom' talk is bullShit, you paid nothing for the service so STFU & move on.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2017, 07:08:48 AM »
Yeah nothing like building up a business as 'THE' free image hosting site for all forum users around the world.
Then once your free image hosting marketing has put you in the number one position of all free image hosting sites you lock it up and demand payment.

Awesome business model that one....

Offline The punter

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2017, 09:38:02 AM »
I'd happily pay a couple of dollars a year.... 50, 75.... 99 ...but not 500.

This is the problem though, a couple of dollars a year even for some people is unacceptable. A generation has grown up with all this "free" stuff.

People will pay $5 for a cup of coffee, but a track that took in same cases months to create on itunes is $0.99 and even for some that is "too much"

Agree, $500 is ridiculous. But trust me on this one - we are going to see more of this. Digital "Free" is going away, at an accelerating rate.

Want guarantees? Buy your own domain with as much hosting as you need, run a content management system and you are immune to any price gouging from service providers.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45
The following users thanked this post: Humphreythebear

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »
Quote from: The punter
Sure, it's heavy handed, but it's a bit rich all of this "how dare they" talk when nobody paid a cent in the first place. Want service? Pay for it.
They may have paid up if they were asked to but they weren't - they were just told GAGF.
And from $.0 to $400 a year - its not a premium service with complete backup and recovery options.

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2017, 11:03:14 AM »
On todays  us/aud it's  aud$526-00= $10-00 p/w  :o you can get basic web hosting for half that with complete control of your content
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2017, 11:22:58 AM »
I use ImageShack and pay $2.83 a month, which to me is pretty good value for what they offer.

Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
This is the problem though, a couple of dollars a year even for some people is unacceptable. A generation has grown up with all this "free" stuff.

People will pay $5 for a cup of coffee, but a track that took in same cases months to create on itunes is $0.99 and even for some that is "too much"

Agree, $500 is ridiculous. But trust me on this one - we are going to see more of this. Digital "Free" is going away, at an accelerating rate.

Want guarantees? Buy your own domain with as much hosting as you need, run a content management system and you are immune to any price gouging from service providers.

Some sort of warning would've been nice too.
Of all the threads I've ever started, there's about 3 or 4 that actually make any sense, but the lovely colour photo's, helped explain where I was coming from or trying to say.

Now I just look like a bigger fukwit than before, as none of me friggin threads make any sense at all. Geez, I don't need their help to look like an idiot, I can do that all on my own.
I do have my own domain, its called a shed.... i'd show you a photo of it, buy FukkBucket said I can't.  ;D
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.
The following users thanked this post: 03GV, Cruiser 105Tvan

Offline The punter

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »

I do have my own domain, its called a shed.... i'd show you a photo of it, buy FukkBucket said I can't.  ;D

Ha... well played, I just choked on my coffee...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2017, 03:16:45 PM »
I paid for the add free service from Photobucket, but I see that option does not exist any more. So far my images are working though. I used to always use Flickr, I am thinking maybe use flicker pro for $49.99.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2017, 03:24:21 PM »
For less than $4 a month you can get hosting that comes with a free domain (only for the first year I think but only around $20 a years there after), the hosting comes with 100Gb of storage and unlimited bandwidth.

Then you can put whatever photo storage/sharing album you like on it. There are 1000's of them out there, they are very easy to use.

You are then not going to get burnt like all the photobucket users have. Yes I know people like Imgur are still free but they may not be forever.

Nothing like having control over your own server and own software.

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2017, 05:03:44 PM »
I paid for the add free service from Photobucket, but I see that option does not exist any more. So far my images are working though. I used to always use Flickr, I am thinking maybe use flicker pro for $49.99.
Don't use it anymore John.  Mine was working fine until I posted up a pic last week and now none of them are working.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2017, 05:04:29 PM »
Quote from: DannyG
bingo... simple FTP program and copy across.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2017, 08:10:02 PM »
For less than $4 a month you can get hosting that comes with a free domain (only for the first year I think but only around $20 a years there after), the hosting comes with 100Gb of storage and unlimited bandwidth.

Then you can put whatever photo storage/sharing album you like on it. There are 1000's of them out there, they are very easy to use.

You are then not going to get burnt like all the photobucket users have. Yes I know people like Imgur are still free but they may not be forever.

For some one like me that is a step I have never considered.
I have now had a look and most of the ideas of getting a domain name and my own web site is a bit over my head. I think though it might be worth looking into though.
Can the person hosting the your domain though, just jack up the price once they have you hooked.

Muzza, no I will not be putting any photos up until I have some idea where I an going.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2017, 08:16:37 PM »
For some one like me that is a step I have never considered.
I have now had a look and most of the ideas of getting a domain name and my own web site is a bit over my head. I think though it might be worth looking into though.
Can the person hosting the your domain though, just jack up the price once they have you hooked.

That can happen anywhere in life, I guess it depends on the contract. But you can move your domain name around when your contract expires. Theres always companies out there with 'new member' deals.. just chop and change :)

Once you have a domain name - its yours as long as you keep it registered.

Remember you don't even need to put a website on the domain, you can just use it to store photos on.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2017, 09:03:01 PM »
Lots of peops complaining about PB. And lots saying STFU and get over it.

Both comments have merit. However, charging a fee 10 fold what's easily obtainable in the market place for 3rd party hosting is a bit rich - actually 10 folds rich. I do not think the majority would complain about a fee for service - set at an appropriate rate. Yet a lot will grizzle to spend a buck, but the level headed thinkers would not.

I got an email from PB today stating their 3rd party plan was competitive.

What planet are they on?

That for me is the issue. And that fee is ransom.

I forecast they will later on offer a competitive rate once they find the $400USD is maybe, well maybe just a little x 10, over the top, and no one takes up their generous offer.
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2017, 10:15:17 PM »

What planet are they on?

That for me is the issue. And that fee is ransom.

I guess what they're saying is for $9.99/month you can link to your photos being hosted on their site so they can enjoy some ad revenue instead of going under. Presumably they've estimated the $400/yr will be full user pays without that ad revenue and if you don't think they're right then open your own hosting website.
http://photobucket.com/pricing

The days of the Wild West internet have to come to an end if we're to continue to enjoy professional journalism, film and music, etc as freeloaders like Google and Facebook are emptying the till, aided and abetted by their users and there's a poor outcome for all at the end of it. PB are just like the newspapers having to find subscription revenue or die and there's already moves to make the big players pay for their content in some way.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2017, 03:21:30 PM »
All my PB pics are still working.  For how long I don't know.  When I get a chance I'll download them onto my hard drive, cause I think I've deleted most if them. 

Chances are I'll never bother uploading them again and fix the links in my threads.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2017, 04:22:35 PM »
Quote from: prodigyrf
I guess what they're saying is for $9.99/month you can link to your photos being hosted on their site so they can enjoy some ad revenue instead of going under.
Actually only the 400/yr plan can link photos now.

With the amount of ads your bombarded with with every click, not just logging into your account, but every album, every photo theres at least 3-4 popup type ads you need to cler to see anything, they'd be doing quite well.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2017, 06:55:02 PM »
as freeloaders like Google and Facebook are emptying the till, aided and abetted by their users and there's a poor outcome for all at the end of it.

That makes absolutely no sense to me

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2017, 12:01:28 AM »
That makes absolutely no sense to me

Perhaps this will-
http://www.mediachannel.org/google-facebook-and-the-death-of-journalism/
and that sort of prediction has come to fruition with some head scratching as to what to do about it-
http://theconversation.com/we-should-levy-facebook-and-google-to-fund-journalism-heres-how-77946

They end up capturing all the ad revenue and crowding out quality journalism along with the general copyright abuse they free-ride on. The Photo Buckets of the world suffer accordingly.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2017, 07:27:24 AM »
Perhaps this will-
http://www.mediachannel.org/google-facebook-and-the-death-of-journalism/
and that sort of prediction has come to fruition with some head scratching as to what to do about it-
http://theconversation.com/we-should-levy-facebook-and-google-to-fund-journalism-heres-how-77946

They end up capturing all the ad revenue and crowding out quality journalism along with the general copyright abuse they free-ride on. The Photo Buckets of the world suffer accordingly.

Actually this is the death of journalism....
https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/fox-news-down-under?utm_term=.wo4MLBGpB#.ryvRDnVrn

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »
For now I am back using the MySwag gallery.