Author Topic: Permits  (Read 2276 times)

Offline woftam

• Tent User
  • Conanti dabitur
Permits
« on: August 26, 2014, 10:08:31 PM »
After the dollars and effort put in to acquiring the appropriate permits for our recent trip I was vaguely disappointed that I was never actually required to produce said permits by any authority.
When the subject came up around the campfire with other travellers there was a significant number whose response was along the lines of “I never bother, who’s going to check them out here ?”
Just curious as to how many have campers have ever been asked to produce their permits when on the road ?
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
-Dr. Seuss

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Permits
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 06:09:55 AM »
only on the beaches in queensland........

if a permits required i.e. simpson desert, than I just brought it, no brainer really

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 06:15:17 AM »
Arnt permits 1 of thous things that are handy to have if somebody wants to see them , but hou should have them anyway  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
only on the beaches in queensland........

if a permits required i.e. simpson desert, than I just brought it, no brainer really

Yep - every SEQ beach I get checked for 4wd permit and camping permit. It's not worth the risk to try to save a few $$$. I mean really, it's $100 or so for 9 days camping at fraser for my family inc 4wd permit and camping. That's cheap, so no excuse not to have permits
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline LuckyDog

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 08:26:06 AM »
Getting the permits I can deal with but the no refund policy stinks.
I recently took my Daughter and her Suzi to Teewah Beach to get some sand driving Exp before our trip to Moreton Island at Xmas.

first 2 days were great, 3rd day I got as sick as a dog, rain and wind arrived so had to leave early but could not get reimbursed for the days that we had already paid for.

but all in all, permits I will get everytime we go somewhere that they're required.
2016 Landcruiser GXL SC with Obieco Canopy
Kedron 2002 XC poptop
Don't use either as much as i like,
Would every Day be too much to ask tho?

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 08:31:25 AM »
We have never had ours checked either but we still get them...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline woftam

• Tent User
  • Conanti dabitur
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:52:24 AM »
Was curious about the remote permits rather than the coastal ones.

Don't have a problem with getting them if required. Take the view that its like visiting the remote communities - always tend to make purchases regardless of whether I need to or not. If the communities aren't supported financially then there may come a time when they're not there or not offering services like fuel and supplies. Would make remote travel very difficult.

I suppose what I'm asking is if there is anything (incentive/threat) to make people comply ? Unfortunately there will always be those who will not play by the rules. Personally when you put the cost of permits up against the cost of purchasing and setting up your 4wd or even against fuel costs for a trip it's negligible .
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
-Dr. Seuss

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 03:26:13 PM »
Just got home from Kakadu. There's $25 per adult permit that you're supposed to buy to access the park.

We were coming into to Kakadu from the southern end, so the first place to get one was at the roadhouse near the entrance to the park- nope, they no longer sell them, get one at Cooinda was their advice.

4 nights of camping later we arrive in Cooinda, sorry, we've sold out, try when you get to Jabiru.

3 nights of camping later we arrive at Jabiru, office closed, come back tomorrow. Next day we had a full itinerary and didn't make it back in time.

So after 9 days of visiting the park, and 3 attempts to purchase a permit, and 1 day left in Kakadu, we gave it up as a bad joke. We had the intent, but there was no capacity to purchase.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 03:32:39 PM »
Theoretically spending money on the permit is not always about having it to show a ranger that you are allowed to be in said place but is a contribution to maintaining the environment or facilities. I was happy to not show it to anyone after purchasing my SA Desert Parks Pass as it meant more solitude and less civilisation when crossing the desert.

Offline LuckyDog

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »
x2 there MDS69 :)
2016 Landcruiser GXL SC with Obieco Canopy
Kedron 2002 XC poptop
Don't use either as much as i like,
Would every Day be too much to ask tho?