Author Topic: Which ADSL to choose?  (Read 10913 times)

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
Which ADSL to choose?
« on: June 13, 2013, 05:54:40 PM »
Got a letter in the mail today from Telstra.
They are stopping with the bundle I have: HomeLine and Broadband Bundle.
Now I have to find something else.
If I stay with Telstra with home phone and ADSL? I have to pay at least $83.90/month instead of the $59.95/month we are paying now.
That is if I read it correctly from their website.

The other question is, do we have to keep the homeline or go naked ADSL?
We both have a mobile so not really need a fixed line.

Any ideas, suggestions?
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Which ADSL to choose?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »
I don't know if you can get iinet where you are, but that is what I use for everything.
Land line
ADSL2
plus unlimited netphone calls for $10 a month.
Fetch tv

The biggest upside for me is the customer service. Much better than telstra.
I have been with them now for 4 years and haven't looked back, nearly 1/2 the price of telstra too

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline dirtpilot

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »
TPG

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 06:09:37 PM »
Iinet, great prices and never had a problem, the only issue I have is that I can't access ADLS2 yet, but I'm happy at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:10:05 PM by Jenko67 »

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 06:16:04 PM »
I am chatting with a Telstra customer service person and he is telling me that nothing will chance......
Even though the letter tells me that the charges will increase.
Huh?

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »
I am chatting with a Telstra customer service person and he is telling me that nothing will chance......
Even though the letter tells me that the charges will increase.
Huh?

And welcome to telstra........ we say one thing, do another and then take your money anyway.  ;D

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 06:25:26 PM »
Yeah.
I have printed the chat session and he will email it to me.
I will confirm the whole thing by going to a Telstra shop.

Offline dungee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 06:27:03 PM »
Naked DSL worked well for me when I could get Iinet, the only downside is you lack the landline if you need to make an emergency call or when your mobile is flat
Chris

Nothing to see here - move on.

Offline bushbandit

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Oh To Be On The Wallaby
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 06:41:30 PM »
Have just recently changed from dongle to Telstra ADSL $80 mth 200gig as I use torrents frequently.I  would have gone iiNet but no port at our exchange.I recently had a line check, some clown from Telstra working at the exchange accidently pulled the wire from my port no home ph for over a week but that was diverted to mobile no probs anyway the tech said I was getting over and above speed than normal.Happy with Telstra.
2013 Mitsubishi Triton GLR 4x4
2015 Jayco Swift Outback

Offline weso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • be good or be good at it !!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 64eh.com
Which ADSL to choose?
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »
Tpg is the go
But I would look on the whirlpool forum to do a comparison to see which one suits you the best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
64 EH(premier sedan)gone but will never be forgotten, 64VAN(windowless panel van),
2008 Nisan Navara, leisure matters ranger hard floor

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »
We have been with iinet for over 10 years now and can't fault their service. I highly recommend them....
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline Kris

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 07:14:41 PM »
Another vote for iinet!
2006 Hilux SR towing 1999 Kimberley Kamper

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 07:15:41 PM »
Although I am not actually sure what ADSL means, I know that we use Activ8 Rural for our Internet via Satellite Dish, and we use Activ8 Rural also for the satellite phone, but then they are the only ones doing private services out here, as Teltra would be charging nearly 3 times as much.
Tjupurula

Offline 73coupe

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 07:31:33 PM »
We have just ditched the home phone and just use our mobiles and have naked adsl with Mynetfone, very happy with it.

KingBilly

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 07:33:49 PM »
Been with iinet in one form or another since phone was a tin and piece of string.  Highly recommend.

KB

Offline Kris

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 07:32:04 AM »
We have just ditched the home phone and just use our mobiles and have naked adsl with Mynetfone, very happy with it.

Lucky you!  No reliable mobile reception at my house. 
2006 Hilux SR towing 1999 Kimberley Kamper

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 08:57:53 AM »
Internode gets a good wrap down here in the South.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:08 AM »
Sis and the bil are at Eden Hills in Adelaide and their ADSL was lousy with hopeless speed and regular dropouts, despite cahnging from Telstra to another carrier. Problem was they were at the end of the copper, around 7km from the exchange whereas we're on the plains 600M from the exchange downloading at over 18Mbits/sec rock solid via Adam Internet.

When I spotted Adam Wimax I asked them the question and yes they have a wireless internet tower at Westfield Marion shopping centre and direct line of site to their Eden Hills home. Took a couple of hours for an Adam tech to install an aerial on their roof and wire it to a wall plate and problem solved with Naked DSL phone to boot like we have (our ADSL2+ is $55/month with 100Gb all up) Saved them money too so I'd check out if there's a similar wireless offering for blackspots in your neck of the woods.

Failing that it's a patient wait for the NBN to the node by the looks of things, which you'd expect would be a lot quicker rollout than fibre to every premise. I'd have to say in that regard and given our speed and experience, I seriously doubt most would be bothered paying the extra to get fibre the last km from a node, but the option would be there.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline cp

• Sleeping Bag User
Which ADSL to choose?
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »
iinet naked adsl2+, been with them for about 2 years, they've upgraded our plan twice now free of charge because the old plans were no longer available. we started on 20gb peak / 20 gb off peak, we are now on 50gb peak / 50gb off peak without a price change.

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 05:20:23 PM »
iinet bundle for us, home phone and 200gig adsl + pay the extra $10 to get (turbo) ADSL2, unfortunately we can't get naked, so phone and 200 gig is $79/month + your calls.
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline cyberhuey

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »
Okay, i can offer a technical opinion on this as an IT Techie

First things first you need to find out what your options are in terms of providers if they have their own DSLAMS in the Telstra Exchange.

There are a few, Telstra, Optus, Agile (Internode), iiNet and not sure if TPG have their own DSLAMS which is a DSL Mux that delivers the Adsl service over copper to you.

If your exchange only has Telstra and Telstra Wholesale who on sell their ports to other internet providers to provide internet to their customers via telstra equipment, then your out of luck and will need a copper line.

Telstra Wholesale do not offer Naked DSL hence those providers using Telstra Wholesale ports will not be able to offer you naked dsl.

However if other providers such as optus, agile, iinet, and tpg? Have their own DSLAMS in your exchange your in luck and will be able to get naked dsl.

Check this link to Whirlpool Broadband choice http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/ and input your phone number in and see what options are available.

Alternatively you can also have a look at http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/ and look at the left hand side under States and select status and look for your exchange you are connected to, scroll down and see what providers (with their own dslsams) are in that exchange.
2017 Ford Ranger

2017 River Eliminator Off Road Caravan

Sold: 2008 Jayco Penguin Outback

Offline cyberhuey

• Swag User
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 06:34:58 PM »
Although I am not actually sure what ADSL means, I know that we use Activ8 Rural for our Internet via Satellite Dish, and we use Activ8 Rural also for the satellite phone, but then they are the only ones doing private services out here, as Teltra would be charging nearly 3 times as much.
Tjupurula

Hi TJ,

ADSL stands for Asyncronous Digital Subscriber Line
2017 Ford Ranger

Offline cyberhuey

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 06:37:24 PM »
Internode gets a good wrap down here in the South.

+1 on Internode especially if you are a gamer and want low latency for gaming, ive been with them for over 10yrs since adsl first came to where i live but they are a premium provider, i pay $60 for 60gb

Not cheap but if you game you get what you pay for.
2017 Ford Ranger

Offline cyberhuey

• Swag User
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »
Failing that it's a patient wait for the NBN to the node by the looks of things, which you'd expect would be a lot quicker rollout than fibre to every premise. I'd have to say in that regard and given our speed and experience, I seriously doubt most would be bothered paying the extra to get fibre the last km from a node, but the option would be there.

Hi Prodigyrf

NBN is actually doing FTTH (Fibre To The Home) not FTTN (Fibre To The Node) there is a massive difference between them, FTTH is all the way to your house, it first goes to a cabinet as a backbone link, then the cabinet has a GPON (gigabit passive optical network) setup from there with fibre to house which then terminates to an ONT (optical network termination) device presenting an ethernet connectio to you.

FTTN is Tony Abbots and Malcolm Turnbulls idea, totally rubbish, it has fibre to a node (cabinet) then copper line from the node to you house bit similar to adsl but a different technology, it inferior and still uses Telstra's monopoly last mile copper and thus reaming us for line costs i believe.

Now FTTH is free all the way to your house you wont have to pay for the fibre line itself on the proviso you accept the connection when the NBN contractor comes knocking at your door with the forms or posted in your letterbox, if you fail to sign up then for the fibre install then you could be up for lots of mulah to get the fibre run in once the NBN contractor has finished in the area after they finish laying the fibre.

See here http://www.nbnco.com.au/faq.html under section 4 will it cost me anything to switch to NBN
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 07:35:59 PM by cyberhuey »
2017 Ford Ranger

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 07:02:40 PM »
Hi TJ,

ADSL stands for Asyncronous Digital Subscriber Line

Thankyou very much Cyberhuey
Tjupurula