Author Topic: Aircon misery  (Read 1923 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Aircon misery
« on: July 02, 2020, 07:12:45 AM »
A few years ago, I  thought the aircon performance in my 2008 200 Series was not up to snuff. So I took it to an aircon outfit and the bloke said it needed a recharge and recommended that he add a new compound from Germany that would seal any leaks. Said that he had been using it in his 5 Series Beamer for some time and was very happy with it.

So I went ahead with it and all was well. Until last week when the aircon compressor seized. Fixing it is now a very large job indeed.
I have taken it to an outfit that has done a fair bit of work for me in the past and who I trust. The original bloke who put the stuff in disappeared after his building was demolished to make way for Sydney's West Connex.

The problem is that it looks like the seized compressor has put metal particles right through the system. Now we are up for a new compressor, a new condenser, a new TX valve and a complete flush of the whole shebang. The entire dashboard has to come out. One of the four bolts that hold the compressor on has snapped off and we also have to get someone out with an Easy-out to remove it.

I am consulting my grief counsellor about the likely dimensions of the bill.

Keith

200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Aircon misery
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 07:52:28 AM »
A few years ago, I  thought the aircon performance in my 2008 200 Series was not up to snuff. So I took it to an aircon outfit and the bloke said it needed a recharge and recommended that he add a new compound from Germany that would seal any leaks. Said that he had been using it in his 5 Series Beamer for some time and was very happy with it.

So I went ahead with it and all was well. Until last week when the aircon compressor seized. Fixing it is now a very large job indeed.
I have taken it to an outfit that has done a fair bit of work for me in the past and who I trust. The original bloke who put the stuff in disappeared after his building was demolished to make way for Sydney's West Connex.

The problem is that it looks like the seized compressor has put metal particles right through the system. Now we are up for a new compressor, a new condenser, a new TX valve and a complete flush of the whole shebang. The entire dashboard has to come out. One of the four bolts that hold the compressor on has snapped off and we also have to get someone out with an Easy-out to remove it.

I am consulting my grief counsellor about the likely dimensions of the bill.

Keith

I,ve heard of some outrageous costs when fixing the 200 series.  I,ll take a stab and say $4000.  Hope I,m way to high for your sake!!!  The joys of motoring eh? :'(
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 08:04:08 AM »
I,ll take a stab and say $4000.

If it's a Toyota, and it has LC in its name, 4k is probably a lowball figure given that a hilux 2.8D 250k service cost $1500 back in 2008 :'( :'(. Good luck with it KeithB
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 08:13:25 AM »
Bugger!

Sorry to hear that, Keith :'(

Hope it all works out for you.
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'