Author Topic: Newbie from the Gold Coast  (Read 10209 times)

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Newbie from the Gold Coast
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 06:17:01 AM »
We'll have to do a Swift trip one day  :D  where about's on the coast are you? We're in Pac Pines

We are at paradise point. Might have to organise a meet and greet for gold coasters soon I think. Maybe down the park at paradise point. Fishing, BBQ, few beers, kids can swim/play. Will see how I go over next month or so.

Cheer Olly
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Vitara_JaycoSwift_Outback

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »
We are at paradise point. Might have to organise a meet and greet for gold coasters soon I think. Maybe down the park at paradise point. Fishing, BBQ, few beers, kids can swim/play. Will see how I go over next month or so.

Cheer Olly

We wish we could live at Paradise Point, we both recon its the best end of the coast. Sounds like a great plan no kids for us yet so if we could bring our we'll bring our dogs.

Would be happy stick up my hand to organise a meet and greet at James Sharp park in Canungra for everyone.

Josh

Offline Camping Grant

• The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but seeing with new eyes
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Such Is Life
    • Grant & Kerryn's Camping Adventures
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 07:11:30 PM »
G'day guys...

Welcome to the forum. I'm also from the coast (Burleigh).

Cheers
Camping Grant

Offline Steinzy

• Tent User
  • 1980's Jayco Dove
    • LJ Hooker Mermaid Beach
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 09:42:19 PM »
Another Gold Coaster here.  Sharp Park is a great spot and not too far away. Count us in!
Steinzy

Offline damessa

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Aussie Swag Hard Floor Camper
    • Exploring Oz in Style
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 07:54:21 AM »
Hi -

Following this thread.  We are in Canungra and know Sharps Park  :D

Our CT is still being built but would be happy to be part of a meet and greet when we do a shakedown at Sharps in December. 

Cheers guys
Vanessa and Damian
www.exploringozinstyle.com

Offline 03GV

• Tent User
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 09:22:53 AM »
Hows the GV going towing the swift? I tow with mine all the time , but never that sort of weight and wondere how it would go? Whats fuel economy like, these aren't the best as it is?

Cheers
Craig
2010 DDIS Grand vitara
Lumberjack  Buckley  Campertrailer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2013, 11:47:40 AM »
Hows the GV going towing the swift? I tow with mine all the time , but never that sort of weight and wondere how it would go? Whats fuel economy like, these aren't the best as it is?

Cheers
Craig

Hi Craig, I contacted you on Auszookers about your table design. Worked out a treat thanks for the idea. The Swift is close to a tonne when dry and when fully loaded I recon 1.2 plus our supplies and the dogs in the back of the GV its a fair amount of weight. Suzi as she is known tows it all really well on a flat road but when you hit the hills on the highway way she looses momentum really quickly  ;D But all credit to the trailer when you're on your way you really don't know its following you until you hit those hills or look in the mirror. I wouldn't take it on the sand cause I recon the first soft stuff and you would be bogged up to the sills.

Without the swift in tow I can average 570k's out of the tank but with my roof basket removed this goes back to almost 600. But I have no space to store it easily so its forced to stay on the car. With the swift in tow I'm not quite sure of my economy yet as I haven't perfected my towing driving yet. I was a towing virgin prior to pick up but am off on another trip next weekend and will report back with the figures. An early estimate it would drop to 450k's out of the tank but its something I want to work out for future long trips.

When we can I will be upgrading my fiances car to a larger 4wd to suit towing the swift and if I can sneakily fix all the cosmetic issue with the GV it will stay with me for as long as it lasts. Although its started using oil since its last service but I think my mechanic used the wrong grades of oil last as I get the timing chain rattle on start up and the gear box is also crunchy into second. Shame you're down the other end of the country as it would be great to check your GV our in person.

Josh

Offline 03GV

• Tent User
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 08:20:35 PM »
So yours ain't an auto then? Mine gets way less than that, although mine is higher and the tyres are bigger but not much bigger.

Ah so that was you with the table, glad it worked out.

I suppose aslong as the brakes work well it would be fine to tow!
2010 DDIS Grand vitara
Lumberjack  Buckley  Campertrailer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 08:33:50 PM »
Yeah it's a manual. Electric brakes on the trailer work very well and it doesn't take much more than normal to pull it all up.

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2013, 09:42:15 AM »
After a day of 42 degrees + temprature our Swifty faced her first epic summer storm the other night. We got caught up in the massive electrical storm that hit the south east of Queensland. Fortunately we watched it roll in and 2 cells seemed to join together so we packed away most of outside gear so we didn't lose it. We didn't get time to pack away our shower tent and had a pole snap. Swifty held up very well and remained almost water tight. Unfortunately due to the direction of the rain it blew through the vent on the door and also in through the top section of the door.

Very unnerving and shook us both up as we were camping on my mums remote property by ourselves with a 30min drive to phone reception. We packed up a couple of days earlier than planned as we weren't quite enjoying the heat and the prospects of more storms. A bit soft I know but I just had a weird unnerving feeling the whole time we were there.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2013, 09:58:58 AM »
I think these swifts are a fantastic option for an off road camper trailer.  Pretty light weight and light is good. 

Are the beds a double one end and queen the other like other jaycos or both double.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »
I think these swifts are a fantastic option for an off road camper trailer.  Pretty light weight and light is good. 

Are the beds a double one end and queen the other like other jaycos or both double.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Front bed is a double and rear is an single. After 4 trips we have finally perfected the comfort levels in our bed. We optioned in the inner spring mattress and found it too firm and we would both end up with a sore back each morning. We were going to get an egg shell mattress topper but they seemed quite thin so we were reluctant to give them a go. We had an old basic foam mattress lying around at home so we chucked it on top of the innerspring this trip and it did the job perfectly. Comfy as and cheap as chips.