Author Topic: E-Bikes, whats what and what works?  (Read 9837 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
E-Bikes, whats what and what works?
« on: November 08, 2016, 10:55:35 PM »
Question for the bike people. 

Long story short version, 19 yrs ago the bride was diagnosed with bone cancer in her femur and the resulting op and leg reconstruction, means of the three main leg bones, only the tibia is intact.  Having been cut from ankle to hip, lots of nerve damage, lots of rehab etc etc.  Anyhow finally with me being medical discharged and now retired I have been doing a lot of walking to get my fitness back and lose the excess kgs.  Good for me but the bride is starting to have had enough of sitting on the side lines.  Despite all the rehab, which is ongoing, with good and not good days she is very limited physically with what she can do, which isn't much. 

She used to ride push bikes and then motor bikes but since the op the vibrations form motor bikes sets the nerves in the leg off and she can not physically pedal to ride a pushie anymore.  Or so we thought.  After a thinking about we were wondering how the e-bikes would go and after doing the rounds of the bike shops in town we found one that had a couple of e-bikes on the shop floor.  The blokes were great and after going over the bike encouraged her to go for a ride, even to the extent that after saying she hadn't ridden for a while, like 20+ yrs one of the guys rode with her to help ease her mind. 

The first e-bike was the pedal assist type and the second one is the throttle type with a motor on the front hub.  The bride was rather excited that she could ride the bike and 'pedal' up the hill just behind the shop and definetley rode more then what she is capable to walk.  The throttle bike she only rode around the car park but we have been invited to come back anytime to test ride again as they want us to make sure we have the right bike before outlaying that sort of $$$. 

The bikes were 1/   http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/bikes/e-bikes/mtb/2017/big-nine-e-lite-650-7175.html   but from their website she would prefer the more traditional ladies bike like  http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/bikes/e-bikes/city-bike/2017/espresso-city-600-eq-7153.html
the second bike was http://www.dysonbikes.com.au/electric-bike/bondi-ii/

My question is has anyone had experience with the e-bikes, what are your thoughts and while the ultimate choice will be which electric assist works best for her, what are peoples views on the pedal assist v the throttle assist?

thanks
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: E-Bikes, whats what and what works?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Humphreythebear

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 08:22:48 AM »
Just before you lay yer money down ...there are speed limits 25kp/h and power limits 250w .

A retailer can sell you the e-thing , but you cannot use it on a public road ,, or in a park - only on private property .

My advice is go with a 'brand ' from a reputable retailer , if it goes pear shaped its a lot easier to have a conversation .

There are some good scooters available - which look like toys but are a viable alternative , a more reasonably priced way to figure out what you need and then what you want !
Outback Sturt , Holden SS Ute and a MTB for the Rough Stuff

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 09:32:13 AM »
Al & Jan

Slightly different abgle on the same concept - how about a Segway? http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.Xsegway.TRS0&_nkw=segway&_sacat=0

Requires standing which again isn't a real aternative
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline ScottT

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Random acts of kindness without expectations
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 09:35:09 AM »
Send a message to MuruCycles, this is right up his alley  ;D

Cheers
2005 Toyota Prado 1KZ 120 Series
2008 Customline 12ft Deluxe Off Road

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 09:54:56 AM »
Just before you lay yer money down ...there are speed limits 25kp/h and power limits 250w .

A retailer can sell you the e-thing , but you cannot use it on a public road ,, or in a park - only on private property .

My advice is go with a 'brand ' from a reputable retailer , if it goes pear shaped its a lot easier to have a conversation .

There are some good scooters available - which look like toys but are a viable alternative , a more reasonably priced way to figure out what you need and then what you want !

Thanks, been looking at the new laws with the e-bikes and what is legal or what is required to be legal. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 11:00:16 AM »
An e-bike is only allowed to go 25km/h?
Why am I overtaken by a push bike  with motor assist when my speed was 32km/h?
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 11:02:34 AM »
Send a message to MuruCycles, this is right up his alley  ;D
Cheers
I'll be very honest here and say that my personal knowledge with ebikes isn't very good. However... we are in the bike industry and all that.

My suggestion would be to think less about the actual bike brand, (though it would be nice to have the support of a credible larger brand to fall back on) and look more at the brand of battery and electric motor that is attached to it.

My choice for battery/motor would be to stick either Shimano or Bosch. Both are long term (proven) brands in the world of electric bicycle motors and batteries.

So based on your three options, Merida offers the mens style 29er with the Bosch and the ladies style with Shimano. The mens model is a proper off road bike however. While the ladies one is more for cycle paths, the shops and the occasional graded dirt road.

The Dyson uses a Panasonic system. I'm not at all familiar with the Dyson bikes brand. And Panasonic motor/batteries, while not bad by any stretch, is just not as developed or as commonplace as say Shimano or Bosch. This bike is also running older style rim brakes. Pretty much every bike out there now (new) is now fitted with disc brakes.

Based on those three options... I'd get the ladies Merida. Nice looking bike, pricing is reasonable for what you're getting and it has a good nationwide dealer support network.

Hope that helps a little.

Wayne.
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres
The following users thanked this post: alnjan, ScottT

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 11:07:33 AM »

to clarify...

the motor assist on an electric (assist) bike can only aid in propelling the bike up to 25km/h. (then software cuts the motor assist out)

after that... if you have the legs to pedal it... you're on your own.

That's not to say that illegal dodgyness to the computer couldn't occur to sidestep the speed limiters. (like trucks that pass you doing 120+ while the "100 speed limited" sign on the back dangles in the breeze)

Also... a lot of the earlier electric assist and 2 stroke versions were dodgy in the extreme.
Wayne & Kyria Chapman

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 11:24:16 AM »

You can have an e-bike that goes faster than 25km/h or whilst not pedalling - its just got to be registered as a moped. :)
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 11:32:43 AM »

My question is has anyone had experience with the e-bikes, what are your thoughts and while the ultimate choice will be which electric assist works best for her, what are peoples views on the pedal assist v the throttle assist?

thanks

Just a thought - If she's got a bike licence why not get a e-moped? They take the vespas and pull out the motor an replace with electric. Similar prices to the bikes but more like bike? But with little to no vibration from the motors?

I've borrowed my sis in law's, father in law's,s e-bike (pedalec variety) and its a lot of fun, very easy to ride and on the max power setting effortless going up a hill. They are heavy though so if the battery goes, you'll be working hard. Range seemed pretty good though. Can't remember the brand but its got Bosch gizmo's.

My reading of the laws is that you can have a non pedalec style as long as its 200W max, 200-250W must be fitted with a pedelec device. But I'm not a lawyer. I would have thought this style would be better for your wife if she has issues with the leg, as you have to pedal to make the motor operate.

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
Just a thought - If she's got a bike licence why not get a e-moped? They take the vespas and pull out the motor an replace with electric. Similar prices to the bikes but more like bike? But with little to no vibration from the motors?

I've borrowed my sis in law's, father in law's,s e-bike (pedalec variety) and its a lot of fun, very easy to ride and on the max power setting effortless going up a hill. They are heavy though so if the battery goes, you'll be working hard. Range seemed pretty good though. Can't remember the brand but its got Bosch gizmo's.

My reading of the laws is that you can have a non pedalec style as long as its 200W max, 200-250W must be fitted with a pedelec device. But I'm not a lawyer. I would have thought this style would be better for your wife if she has issues with the leg, as you have to pedal to make the motor operate.

Thanks.  I think the moped, even e-moped still requires to be registered.  The e-bikes need to be peddled to make them go, as such.  From my understanding the pedalec variety involves like a torque converter on the crank which the battery helps to turn so your one pedal equates to X amount more torque to turn the crank easier and thus 'drive' the system.  The throttle type has a motor in the hub of the wheel to assist in the ride.  To be legal the throttle type requires you to pedal for the electrics to start working and will only stay working for as long as you keep pedalling, not just sit there and throttle on like a bike, you have to pedal.  That is my understanding of them anyhow. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline gec

• Swag User
  • 5.7 V8 Powered GQ Patrol
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 04:15:16 PM »
Dont know the legality's and all that, but I have been keeping an eye on these, they look pretty cool for a leccy bike, been thinkin of getting one to help with fitness as my back is shot so I been stacking on the weight, this way, at least I can get back home again lol.

https://flx.bike/product-category/bikes/
Ex Western Patrol Club Member, growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 04:49:36 PM »
Dont know the legality's and all that, but I have been keeping an eye on these, they look pretty cool for a leccy bike, been thinkin of getting one to help with fitness as my back is shot so I been stacking on the weight, this way, at least I can get back home again lol.

https://flx.bike/product-category/bikes/

Illegal unless registered as a moped. Can only be 250w motor without being registered. "Bowling Mid-Drive Motor. Packing 650W peak power, this workhorse is a serious performer. Using the bikes gears, it achieves optimum hill climbing, range, and speed."

Offline Wortho

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 02:26:23 PM »
I have also been looking at e-bikes recently and currently considering a kit to upgrade an existing mountain bike. http://sydney-electric-bikes.myshopify.com/products/electric-bafang-8fun-mid-drive-kit

I also read somewhere that for throttle control bikes you are limited to 200 watts but Pedal assist you can have a 250 watt motor.

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 10:04:18 AM »
Have you thought about a Tandem?   ;)

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 12:35:57 PM »
Have you thought about a Tandem?   ;)

Foo

You funny man Foo. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 01:50:08 PM »
Just an update for this thread (at least for Qld).

Message through this morning via the Police info updates: http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/goldcoast/2016/12/14/motorised-bicycles-law-qld/

& that then links to: https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/rules/wheeled-devices/bicycle/#legal-motorised
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
Just bought one last week for my 12 y old who has some mobility issues.   His looks like a normal bike so he can cruise with his mates.
We bought it from http://www.electric-bicycles.com.au/ which has good advice and good prices.
They also have scooter styles with more of a step-through style which may suite someone who cant swing a leg over a normal bike.   The scooters have similar power and speed as the bicycle style however the pedals are not very ergonomic (ie in an awkward position) and the dealer said they are mainly there so the vehicle can be classified as a  bicycle.

His bike can switch between pedal assist and throttle control (or no assist).   The battery is behind the main upright pole (ie under the seat) and the motor is in the rear hub. It has Shimano gears for the human power.   Bikes with the motor in the front hub are conversions from a normal bike and the battery sits over the rear wheel where the rack would otherwise be.

One issue if you're thinking about a second hand purchase: the lithium batteries are several hundred dollars and last for several years.   
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 02:16:00 PM by Patr80l »
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

KingBilly

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »
Just an update for this thread (at least for Qld).

Message through this morning via the Police info updates: http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/goldcoast/2016/12/14/motorised-bicycles-law-qld/

& that then links to: https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/rules/wheeled-devices/bicycle/#legal-motorised

Darwin award almost  ;D

KB

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 02:17:06 PM »
Darwin award almost  ;D

KB

I used to work in Blacktown in Sydney... the daily drive home through the backstreets to the M4 was a game of dodging 2 stroke powered K-Mart Shitter bikes captained by bogans who had been done for DUI, no helmets, no brains, and weaving between traffic at up to 40kph...

Darwin awards indeed.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 02:50:15 PM »
Quote from: MuruCycles
I used to work in Blacktown in Sydney...
and lived to tell the tail??? remind me never to **** with you! ;D

the daily drive home through the backstreets to the M4 was a game of dodging 2 stroke powered K-Mart Shitter bikes captained by bogans who had been done for DUI, no helmets, no brains, and weaving between traffic at up to 40kph...
Sounds like Frankston except its the main roads not back streets and most are still pissed on their elec bikes
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Wortho

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 09:22:50 PM »
Check out this nutter doing 80kmh on a e-bike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdETIjfngo&index=44&list=WL&spfreload=10  best of all if you read the comments he thinks he is road legal just because the bike has an EU mode that restricts the power  ;D

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 09:45:13 PM »
Not legal in Australia from what I understand for two reasons.  You have to pedal to engage the battery to assist, no pedal no assistance and after 25km/h the electrics cut out and all power is supplied by the rider, no battery power. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 02:59:43 PM »
Where do you think he is?   UK?   Accent seems Australian.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200