Author Topic: Re-assessment of priorities  (Read 11018 times)

Offline Phantomxr8

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Re-assessment of priorities
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2010, 07:49:42 PM »
Welcome  :cheers:

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2010, 07:57:36 PM »
The Greek Fishermen

A boat docked in a tiny Greek island.

After lunch, a tourist complimented the local fishermen on the quality of their fish and asked how long it took them to catch it.

"Not very long." they answered in unison.

"Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?"

The fishermen explained that their small catches were sufficient to meet their needs and those of their families.

"But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"We sleep late, fish a little, play with our children, and take siestas with our wives. In the afternoons we have a snack at the beach,

or go into the village to see our friends at the Kafenio, drink a little Ouzo and play tavli.

In the evenings we go to a taverna play the bouzouki, drink a little             more Ouzo, sing a few songs, and break a plate or two.

"In other words, we have a full life."

The tourist interrupted:

"I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch and with the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat."

"And after that?"

"With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one, and a third one, and so on until you'll have an entire fleet of trawlers. Then, instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Athens, Paris or even to London, from there you can direct your huge new enterprise."

"How long would that take?"   

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years." replied the tourist.   

"And after that?"   

"Afterwards? Well my friend, that's when it gets really interesting," answered the tourist, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start buying and selling stocks and make millions!"     

"Millions? Really? And after that?" asked the fishermen.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking Ouzo and enjoying your friends."   

"With all due respect Madam, but that's exactly what we are doing now. So what's the point wasting twenty-five years?" asked the Greek fishermen.

The individuals moral to this story is:

Know where you're going in life....   
....you may already be there!

tinkera

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2010, 10:02:24 PM »
Welcome aboard. Once read a quote somewhere from a Pallative Care Doctor who says he had never heard anyone in his care say they wished they had spent more time at work.... now.But most had and life had slipped them by.Good luck with your new life your not alone on here.TINKERA.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:19:45 PM by tinkera »

Offline ferret

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 06:45:18 AM »
That's It Rockman, couldn't of put it better myself, F..KEN sick of working my guts out!!!!!!! I must have Greek blood in me ;D
2007 HILUX D4D DUAL CAB
2011 KK PLATINUM

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2010, 05:26:19 PM »
Always aim for 3 square meals a day , ok so 2 will do  , somewhere to sleep & somebody to share your life with . What are you going to do take it with you when you gone ? . I am going to try to take a big esky cause I hear  it giong to be hot down there  :cheers: :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline idlegossip

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 06:45:23 PM »
Welcome aboard ferret.

Like most of us, we have had to make a very hard decision at some stage in our lives that we will either "work to Live" or "live to work".

I worked out about 10 years ago that I didn't want to be one of the parents who wakes up one day when my kids are teenagers saying to me "Who the hell are you and where were you when we were growing up and needed you". To me, when it gets to that it is to late to live because you have missed some of the most important things in life.

Glad to hear you have seen the light, now get out there and enjoy it with the most important things in your life - YOUR FAMILY.  :cheers: :cheers:

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 07:36:49 PM »
feret,

Welcome, hope you enjoy your time here, As the Kimberly factory is just up the road from here, we would expect that you will drop in & say G'day.

We to are in the process of cutting our work ties, there are too many obituaries of people my age for my liking!

Regards

Hem 
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline mark40

• Swag User
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2010, 06:43:04 AM »
Good for you Ferret. Life is too short to worry about work. Jobs come and go mate but the family is the most important aspect in anyone's life. You want to trade them in sometimes but they are the reason you breathe. Get out there and enjoy each others company. You won't regret it one bit.

Offline Alloy C/T

• Tent User
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2010, 09:25:14 AM »
speewa158 , take a big esky with you  ? Nah , I'll take the Engle for the beer  and the Waeco for the caviar cause just as the sun rises in the east  , some rich Texan will have airconditioned the place and put in a mega 12v system too.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2010, 09:36:13 AM »
Alloy C/T got the Engles & solar  what can I tell you  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Strawb

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 10:27:13 AM »
 Ferret, like you but under differant circumstance, the wife and I realised that family comes first and what ever else then comes next. We've enjoyed the change hope you do too. Welcome to my swag and welcome back to living life as it should be. :cheers:
While intelligent people can simplify the complex, a fool is more likely to complicate the simple.

Offline ferret

• Tent User
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 05:35:02 PM »
Ferret, like you but under differant circumstance, the wife and I realised that family comes first and what ever else then comes next. We've enjoyed the change hope you do too. Welcome to my swag and welcome back to living life as it should be. :cheers:

Thanks Strawb  :cheers: As D4D said in reply#1 to this thread  "Epiphanies  are a wonderful thing"  ;D
2007 HILUX D4D DUAL CAB
2011 KK PLATINUM

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2010, 08:37:34 PM »
HiYa ferret & Co,

Welcome to the site.
Yeah mate ya dead right about to much work and not enough of you time.
A little saying I like is,
"Never get too busy making a living,
that you forget to make a life"
I have this on the front page to our camping trips page of our web site called My World
As Coffs Camping said,
Beats any counsellor or psych and half the price.
Enjoy!
J

If ever your around the Clarence, give us a hoy, Hemi, Bullfrog, Flem, Nav04 just to name a few, might even be able to talk Coffs Camping into it as well, We'll find a river bank some where, spark up a fire, and tell a bit of Bulldust.
Happy travels, have a safe Chrissy and a fantastic New Year.
 ;D

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Nutto

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Burning desire to camp.....
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2010, 08:55:16 AM »
Gidday Ferret, welcome mate!
As the saying goes "life ain't a dress rehersal - ya only go around once"
Good to see your priorities are re-set
 :cheers:
Nutto

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2010, 01:03:25 PM »
As Coffs Camping said, If ever your around the Clarence, give us a hoy, Hemi, Bullfrog, Flem, Nav04 just to name a few, might even be able to talk Coffs Camping into it as well, We'll find a river bank some where, spark up a fire, and tell a bit of Bulldust.

You ask me and I am there!

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 09:48:32 AM »
Hi Ferret welcome to My Swag and welcome back to the brighter side of life, great to hear your life is heading a better direction. :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2011, 03:10:20 PM »
Hi Ferret welcome!!

i too have cut back on my work hours (12 months now), it would kill a dead dog otherwise.

Priority no1 is me and the other halves health.

Enjoy your new life

cheers
Tony

Offline hutchie62

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • I'll drink to that.
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2011, 04:04:20 PM »
Hi Ferrit & welcome to Myswag, another storey like yours. Built up a good business but could not get away because of staffing issues. Did not see that it almost destroyed our marrage. Sold the business at the beginning of last year, bought the camper and now the rest is now history. It takes a big change before you really notice what was going on. :cheers:
2013 Cab Chassis Landcruiser with goodies, 2008 Cub Supamatic Drover.

Offline playdo

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2011, 08:26:43 PM »
Hi Ferrit, Sounds like you nailed it. Family, Friends and a cold beer. What more does a happy man need in life.  :cheers: Trav

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2011, 08:57:05 PM »
There's no therapy quite like the bush, the beach, the camper, the fire, the stars and the people you love. Beats any counsellor or psych and half the price.

Enjoy!

J

Yep, you nailed it there J!
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

tinkera

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2011, 09:14:46 PM »
HI ALL There seems to be a age and theme running through this thread.It,s funny how we strive to have this and that then one day you wake up and think no thats not living or making me happy I want the simple things of life outdoors family friends good health.TINKERA.