Author Topic: Jayco Swan Outback here and loving life!  (Read 16050 times)

Offline Tuffprada

• Sleeping Bag User
Jayco Swan Outback here and loving life!
« on: August 11, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »
Hi All

Joined the forum a couple of weeks ago now and have recently purchased a new Jayco Swan OB.The wait now begins November sometime it should arrive.We have just upgraded from the 18 ft GiC camper.As much as I love the GIC wanted something a bit easier to set up.Any advise you could give me on the Swan would be great.

Look forward to reading lots more interesting posts on here  :cheers: :cheers:

Tuffprada & Family  :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:41:56 PM by Tuffprada »
2012 Toyota Prado with OME 2 inch lift, dual batteries, ARB winch bull bar, Safari snorkel, BF ATs, Hayman Reece tow bar (look better then the factory job), Hella Rallye 4000 & 2012 Jayco Swan Outback with a dingy on top.

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Newbie and the wait begins for the Jayco Swan
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »
Welcome aboard Tuff Prada and family.  Good choice with the Swan  ;
Make sure you add the swan to the what camper do you own thread.

Ask any questions and we will try and answer.

Regards
Greg
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »
Welcome mate, yep great choice with the swan ob..... I (sorry we) have one and love it,.... heading out in it in a couple of weeks....... looking forward to it......

Regards

Scott

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 06:21:42 PM »
G'day  Tuffprada and welcome to Myswag.
Lots and lots and lots of Jayco help here, so just ask away. ;D
Enjoy the fun.

:cheers: Sol
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »
G'day & Welcome.

For sure it won't take as long put up the Swan  ;D.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 11:28:11 PM »
Hi Tuffprada and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: bubba
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Tuffprada

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 10:53:33 AM »
Hi All,

We have a date 1st of November is pickup....for the Jayco Swan outback. So can't wait! The other camper we had went yesterday so feel very lost without one.
But I am very excited as I know it's only a few weeks away till pickup and then let the mods begin.

And then let the glamping begin!
Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Tuffprada and Family  :cheers:
2012 Toyota Prado with OME 2 inch lift, dual batteries, ARB winch bull bar, Safari snorkel, BF ATs, Hayman Reece tow bar (look better then the factory job), Hella Rallye 4000 & 2012 Jayco Swan Outback with a dingy on top.

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »
Hi All,

We have a date 1st of November is pickup....for the Jayco Swan outback. So can't wait! The other camper we had went yesterday so feel very lost without one.
But I am very excited as I know it's only a few weeks away till pickup and then let the mods begin.

And then let the glamping begin!
Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Tuffprada and Family  :cheers:

Well done...

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »
Not too long to go
Greg
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline HnD

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 10:02:27 PM »
Hi there

We had a 3 month gap between bye-byes on to the old camper trailer n hello to the new Dove OB... It's a long wait, but worth it. So sympathies from us on the wait...

We understand yr desire fr a quicker set up, it used to take us a good hour for the full set up with the old camper working at flat chat for a good while before we cracked a coldie n slowed the pace for the faffy bits. It's more like 25 mins now from go to wo and we've only set the Dove up 3 times... We've only had her fr 2.5 weeks!!

My, rather girlie, advice, would be to buy plenty of non-slip, grippy stuff fr the cupboards and storing stuff on the floor and to make sure u buy fitted sheets a size smaller than the mattrss size so they fit nice and snug and dont get stuck in the slidey bed runner things. These little things make life easier on the first few trips until you strat deciding to weld new bits onand rewire the whole thing :-)

Offline Tuffprada

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Thanks Swannie,Jenko67 & HnD

The wait is driving me insane.... But I think I will survive. HnD thanks for that bit of advice. I have been trying to think we're I want to put everything and what I will need and what I don't really need as we always tend to take too much. But my hubby is pretty good with that too. We always seem to have a fishing rod or 2 that never get used.

Hubby has a metal pole carrier being made up for front draw bar already and is now busy studying to find a small tinny to be able to carry it on the roof. ;D

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 06:07:55 AM »
.......Hubby has a metal pole carrier being made up for front draw bar already and is now busy studying to find a small tinny to be able to carry it on the roof......

......and so it begins........ ;D ;D ;D

Congrats on your new camper. The time will soon pass......

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Tuffprada

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 07:30:59 PM »
I'm going to apologise in advance. Can you tell I'm a little excited??????

10 DAYS to go!  ;D

Tuffprada  :cheers:

Offline Tuffprada

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Jayco Swan....it's here!
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 08:48:10 PM »
Picked up the camper today and we are so happy with it! Can't wait to use it. Plans at this stage are to put it up tomorrow and take some pics. Then start the mods....

Tuffprada& family  ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:53:36 PM by Tuffprada »

Offline Tuffprada

• Sleeping Bag User
Jayco Swan Outback here & Loving Life!
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 04:48:03 PM »

Well I guess it's taken me a while to get around to it.... I know my bad! But here is a pic of the camper with the dinghy set up on top and the metal pole box on the front of the camper. I love the pole carrier as it fits all the poles the light board for the dinghy trailer and the broom in there. We have used it a few times already had a couple of little issues which are in the process of being fixed... Looking forward to getting away over the Easter long weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:42:49 PM by Tuffprada »

Offline Pingu

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »
Looks great, we've just ordered a Jayco Penguin, delivered in October. Love the pole carrier, where did you get it?
Nissan Navara D40 - Jayco Penguin outback

Offline HnD

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 07:13:45 PM »
Looks sweet... Many hours of happy campin coming up.

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »
Hi TuffPrada,

Nice new Jayco you have there!!

We are in the same boat! Have a GIC with the 18ft tent and when we get sick of it, we will upgrade to a Jayco!!

Enjoy your travels!!

:cheers:

Strvy
Cheers

Strvy

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »
Hi Tuffprada,

I notice that your boat rack is set towards the rear of your Swan.  Is that something you did or is that factory.  The reason I ask is that is what I'm planning on doing to my rack as mine is currently central  and having the air con renders the rack useless as in the central position the roof bars (x3) are all placed towards the front which is just silly.  I would have to move it 300mm or so rearwards to clear the roof vent and air con.  Is there any chance of a better photo and some measurements as to where yours is positioned?

Regards Dave

PS did you manage to get anywhere with the ATM of yours? I'm assuming you purchased from Caravanland also? I'm in the process of trying to sort my compliance plate out. I'll let you know how it goes.
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline Tuffprada

• Sleeping Bag User
Newbie and the wait begins for the Jayco Swan
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »
Pingu

We had the pole carrier made by a local company an hour south of perth. If you are keen for more details PM me and I will give you more details.

Offline Tuffprada

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 10:28:25 PM »
Hi Topender

that's how the boat rack was when we got it. We have actually put another bar across to help with the strength of it. Although if you already have your Jayco just check the boat rack is secured properly to the roof. Our first adventure was down south to Esperance over Christmas holidays...My husband is very safety conscious and thank god for that! He had tied a rope down on the dinghy to the front of the A frame. By the time we got home from out trip the whole boat rack was just holding on to the roof, the only reason we reckon it was still there was from the weight of the boat. Very close call! As for the weight regarding the 2 tonne payload upgrade we are still trying to work out the details.
Have you had any luck?

Regards
Tuffprada

Ps will try take some more photos for you but prob won't be till next week as its a bit f a tight squeeze where it is ATM. Sorry :(

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Jayco Swan Outback here and loving life!
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 11:01:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  It's interesting that your rack is factory fitted towards the rear.  I'm assuming your air con is in the same spot as ours and the roof vent is too.  I would love to see some photos and I'm happy to wait.  I think I'm going to relocate mine to be like yours.  The payload upgrade is still on going for us too.  I've spoken to Rob and Lee in service and Lee is pretty sure we can get an upgraded compliance plate sent over, they will just have to get a visual inspection done for rego papers etc.  As to how much it will go up and why it is only 300kg with all the options on ours, no one knows.

I worked out with two full water tanks two full gas bottles and the hot water system also full of water (that's 20L or 20kg too) and the fact that the battery probably isn't included in the tare mass, that's close to 250kg just there without anything else.  It's very hard to get a clear answer regarding how they work out their weights and what's included and what's not, but even just the tanks full and gas we are only left with 100kgs.  We bush camp quite a bit and we load up everything before we leave.

I look forward to the pictures (no rush) and keep me posted with any developments in the payload department and I'll do the same

Dave
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline Tuffprada

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 11:18:39 PM »
Topender

Have you had you camper long? We got ours in November, we are a amply of 4 and have the same stuff on ours as you do.So as far as carrying weight with 4 of us 100kg is easy to do. Btw yes we got ours from Caravanand too.

Tuffprada

Offline Tuffprada

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 11:20:05 PM »
Family not amply sorry typing to quickly

Lol
:-)

nbd73

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 04:59:51 AM »
Family not amply sorry typing to quickly

Lol
:-)

You know you can just edit what you have written.  ;D