Author Topic: Hi from Perth  (Read 6872 times)

GC19WA

Hi from Perth
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:05:54 PM »
Hi all!

I've been lurking for a while and as I placed my order for a camper yesterday I figured I can be brave enough to post a short hello :)

Where to start... I'm 30, married, an identical twin... I am an IT nerd and lecturer for a living...

I really enjoy camping and outdoor activities... so long as its not too strenuous, eg sitting with a beer around a campfire, fishing etc... 

I have a 09 Nissan Xtrail TL to tow my camper about with, and I ordered my camper from Loadstar trailers.

Its a really basic trailer/tent combo, was on a fairly tight budget so I could only get the trailer to suit the tent and the tent itself, I don't really care too much about the extra bits right now, I'm just happy to get my camper!  Though will add to it as I can afford to.

It was a bit of an uphill battle to convince the wife we needed one, but I'm hoping she'll be comfortable enough in our upcoming trip to Shark Bay that she'll see the value in it that I do!

Anyways, I feel a bit odd spilling my guts to people I don't know well :D  I think this forum is fantastic and i've read so much of it already.  Thanks for putting up all the content and awesome ideas, its truly inspiring!

Thanks,
George

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Hi from Perth
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:09:53 PM »
Welcome George, plenty from the west here.  When will you recive your camper and where did it come from?
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Manjimike

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:13:43 PM »
G'day George and Family,
welcome to the forum

Cheers
Mike

GC19WA

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »
Welcome George, plenty from the west here.  When will you recive your camper and where did it come from?

Hi Burnsy, thanks for the welcome :)

I ordered the trailer and tent top from Loadstar, it will look very similar to this https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=476634901316&set=a.476634821316.253877.118258526316&type=1&theater (If I can't link I am sorry in advance!!)

Because I am going to Shark Bay next Friday, Greg from Loadstar said he would rush it through and have it ready for me this Tuesday coming.  Gives me a day or two to wet down the canvas before I have to pack up and head off up north!  At the risk of sounding like a paid advert, I went about to look at several budget camper stores, and the build quality of the trailer, especially since its made and supported locally swayed me.  The tent itself seemed to be made of a better canvas compared to quite a few i'd seen.  The tents are made in china, but they import their own directly and have had input in previous shipments to improve the build standard to a level they are happy with.

GC19WA

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:21:24 PM »
G'day George and Family,
welcome to the forum

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike :)

Manjimike

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »
George my trailer is a Loadstar also, with a Oztrail 8 rearfold tent.
Pretty basic but does the job. Camping with the grandsons next holidays, so will be great.

Enjoy your trip to Shark Bay

Offline gadgetman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I wanna be a kid again.....
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 11:35:56 PM »
Welcome George.  When are you heading up to Shark Bay?  We are going there around Easter next year, can't wait.
Rob

2004 NP Pajero DiD,
2011 Swan Outback

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:37:41 PM »
Looks good, Loadstar have been around a long while and make a decent trailer.  Have you ordered it with the standard hitch or an offroad hitch?  The camper kitchens look pretty good, is yours coming with one?

GC19WA

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 12:16:15 AM »
Its just the standard 50mm ball hitch, the budget didn't really allow for anything else, though a trigg hitch would have been nice...

It won't be going offroad apart from gravel tracks so I'm not sure I need to be concerned... do i?  I'm only towing it with an X-Trail I can't really go too much off road with it as I'd not get back ON road ha :D

Shark Bay will be September 30 to Oct 9th I believe :)  Leaving on a Friday after work and staying the night in Gero then heading to the Denham Seaside Tourist park on the Saturday with the aim of being checked in and at the pub before the grand final starts... setting up the camper will be fun with a few pints in me :D

I haven't ordered a camper kitchen either, I recently purchased a standalone fold out kitchen which I will have to make do with for sometime I think.  While its a blank canvas in terms of features I want to use it to see what I really wish I had so I don't spend money on things I don't need to, having said that, in November for my birthday I'll get family to chip in and spend it on some upgrades to get the stuff I couldn't afford to get when I bought it.

Manjimike

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:27:06 AM »
I bought this kitchen and a 2 burner stove -
http://www.bigw.com.au/sports-leisure/camping/camping-accessories/bpnBIGW_0000000021053/campmaster-camp-kitchen-stove-stand

My intention when buying this camper, was to see what I liked/disliked, as I am also collecting bits to build my own camper trailer in the future.

:cheers:
Mike

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 12:29:02 AM »
Welcome aboard George.
I to have a Loadstar camper trailer with a basic Canvas camper..and Ive been having a ball getting out around the country side and doing modifications to it. ( I bought the trailer and then added the canvas..but I see Loadstar do the combination now)

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=11932.0

http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l511/Albany_Nomads/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

High Wycombe..just at the bottom of the hill from Burnsy..and my sister lives in High Wycombe......pretty central to get to most places.
Anway..Enjoy the web site and enjoy your new camper.
April this year we took ours up to Karijini / Denham / Kalbarri for a 3 week break and had a ball..we had a campsite at the Top Torist park in Denham with a beach front spot and only 50 paces from the beach..great chance to unwind,, take  in reading a book,,and just generally slow down..Enjoy your holiday to Sharks Bay George..
Kind Regards....John / Albany Nomads
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:40:24 AM by albany_nomads »
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

GC19WA

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 12:41:49 AM »
I'm pretty sure thats the same park I'm staying at John!  I read you need drills?  I think we are in lots 42 and 43!  I've never been there before so its going to a great trip! Can't wait, just trying to keep a lid on the excitement else the next couple weeks will drag too much :D 

Mike, my kitchen looks exactly like this one - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Collapsible-Camp-Kitchen-/110746219044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19c8fd3224 I bought it from a friend for $75.  At the moment I'm still using one of the gasmate cannister stoves, but I will definately be getting a proper cooker before my trip.

I'm nowhere near handy enough to build myself a trailer, though I was considering building some fitted boxes similar to the drifta boxes as it seems like a great idea to stop things moving about in the trailer when you are on the road.  Plus with a bolted on trailer, being able to slide a box out to get to the stuff inside makes sense to me.

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 12:50:33 AM »
I'm pretty sure thats the same park I'm staying at John!  I read you need drills?  I think we are in lots 42 and 43!  I've never been there before so its going to a great trip! Can't wait, just trying to keep a lid on the excitement else the next couple weeks will drag too much :D 

I didnt have a drill, but a cordless drill with a drill bit would be a bonus...But I was fortunate to have some good strong steel pegs and a decent gimpy hammer,
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 06:15:03 AM »
Hi George and welcome to My Swag :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 08:48:55 AM »
Welcome to the forum George, the trailer looks a great set up to get out and enjoy the outdoors, take a note pad on the first trip so you can get a list going for the things you need, forgot or want to mod

GG

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
Mike, my kitchen looks exactly like this one - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Collapsible-Camp-Kitchen-/110746219044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19c8fd3224 I bought it from a friend for $75.  At the moment I'm still using one of the gasmate cannister stoves, but I will definately be getting a proper cooker before my trip.

Kitchen looks pretty solid and for $75 your laughing.  When you get a cooker (if you do) don't throw out the gasmate, we use ours all the time, so easy to just put it on a provided picnic table at a campsite or picnic area to boil the billy or cook breakfast. 

As far as towball goes, you can go a long way with a standard hitch so don't stress about it, money would be better spent on some batteries and lighting.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 10:46:48 AM »
Welcome to the site George and family.
"married an identical twin", wow. :-)
You couldn't choose?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:03:57 AM by WilSurf »
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »
G'day & Welcome George.

My tip to make sure your wife enjoys herself; keep her glass full and make sure she has some company.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline pattyann

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 11:07:36 AM »
Hiya - Welcome - enjoy your CT

Complete Campsite Exodus 11 and we bought a Jeep (sold Camprite)

GC19WA

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »
Welcome to the site George and family.
"married an identical twin", wow. :-)
You couldn't choose?

Ha, funny you mention that, there was another set of identical twins when I was in primary school... ah the memories.. but no :P  I'm married, AND an identical twin ;)

Thanks everyone else for the warm welcome!

The notepad idea sounds great, I'll make sure I have something to record my thoughts and idea's. 

I have the loan of a 200AH deep cycle for my next trip to power some 12v lights if I can get them made in time, however definately looking at power and water for the trailer so I can really use it away from facilities and be comfortable.

Yes, keeping the wife comfortable is the priority and I think the true secret to having a successful ownership of the camper.  I wouldn't call her a princess.. just... someone who likes her comfort, right?  ???

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 01:45:44 PM »
I am glad my wife loves camping the rough way.
As long as she has a decent kitchen and a good bed.

GC19WA

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 02:01:33 PM »
The Kitchen isn't so much an issue, just some room in the tent, running water and a toilet... I think the toilet is the big thing.  Amanda is happy to go one night without a toilet, and using natures toilet, but after that I am out of luck!  And she detests drop toilets which rules out a lot of places.  I'll get one of the chem ones and see how we go with that perhaps.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 02:21:50 PM »
The shovel still works for my wife, luckily.
The chem toilet should be fine, as long as you clean it.

Offline gadgetman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I wanna be a kid again.....
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 02:24:50 PM »
If you do get stuck with a drop toilet, a clothes peg on the nose works surprisingly well.
Rob

2004 NP Pajero DiD,
2011 Swan Outback

Offline DX grunt

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 08:52:32 AM »
G'day George.

Welcome to the forum and glad you're enjoying it.

A bit of advice......set your camper up fully, before you start drinking.  I've found even setting up a swag, after a couple, can be quite challenging!  lol

Enjoy your camping adventures.

Take care out there.

Ross
Nissan Patrol ute - ex Telstra - pod has heaps of 'glamping equipment', but not enough to be overloaded.