Author Topic: campomatic trailers  (Read 17194 times)

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
Re: campomatic trailers
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »

As a very happy Camp-o-matic camper owner, I have tried to gain as much information on the brand as I can, so am happy to take on board any extra information.

Its great that you are happy with your unit as I am sure there are a lot of happy TS customers out there as well. I know of one who has a 2005 Chinese model that has been around the block and it has been great. The issues seem to be quality control. The design of both the Camp-o-matic and TS are great. The issue for me was that what I was sold was not what I received. The show units used to sell their product are 2007 models and substantially better built (TS) than what they currently import and supply. Make no mistake they are now fully imported, hence the production delays and quality issues.

Offline markymark

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • everyone seems normal until you get to know them
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 09:16:15 PM »
Here's some interesting pictures!

Trak Shak, FJ Cruiser

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 09:29:49 PM »
Mark, any clues on where you got the pics from, or even a link would be better?

I see one was taken in 2005, but I'd love to know when the rest were taken.

If you don't want to post up the info, by PM would be great.  

Offline markymark

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 09:40:36 PM »
I knew I had seen this pictures somewhere so tonight I've been 'Googling' for a while trying to find them and searching through ExplorOz, which I've frequented for a few years, but with no luck. Then I went to my own Trak Shak folder (pictures of mine and heaps of others I gathered before we bought one) and there they were! So sorry I can't remember where I got them. In looking at the Campomatic picture, there's no obvious evidence it's in China, could be in an Australian shed, but it was originally posted with the Trak Shak photos as both being in China. I'll keep looking.

Mark.
Trak Shak, FJ Cruiser

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 09:44:29 PM »
The scene in the pictures was what I wrongfully expected to see when I went to Campo and TS headquarters last week.  I defend the Camp-o-matic brand as much as possible, but it sounds like my loyalty is being let down.

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 10:05:53 PM »
The scene in the pictures was what I wrongfully expected to see when I went to Campo and TS headquarters last week.  I defend the Camp-o-matic brand as much as possible, but it sounds like my loyalty is being let down.

Gunna Do the main thing is that you are happy with your unit and it is one of the good ones. The worst thing for me is that I defended the Chinese TS (on explore OZ) based on what I was told by the company (Chinese bits, built here can qualify for Aussie made status as they claim in 4WD magazines for Camp-o) until I bought one and found out for myself that it is all BS. It was like popping a balloon, I was so exited to be getting a new TS and then this heap of S@#T turned up that was multiple colours, rusty, canvas ripped etc etc etc etc etc and it was game over for me. Worse still another fella that read my post defending them put down his money to. He is still chasing his trailer or his money as far as I am aware. My belief is that they wait until they have a certain number of orders (hence all the shows they attend) and then get a batch made and sent over in whatever numbers are economical. Unfortunately many of the stainless steel parts that are on the show units (and web site) are substituted for mild steel with gal paint on it (they were on my unit any way).  

Any way enough of that. Most people will modify and improve them to suit their need's. As I said before the TS are some of the best designed campers for the large family I have seen.  

Regards
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:20:02 PM by Jason B »

Offline markymark

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 10:13:25 PM »
Look closely at the bottom picture of Trak Shaks and follow the yellow line - that looks like a Campomatic sitting next to a Trak Shak! Only just noticed it.

I've wanted a Trak Shak for years and just like the Campomatics, they were both top Aussie made trailers as good as you could get. When I met the bloke I spoke about with the new Trak Shak on our trip (in 2008) I couldn't believe my eyes and felt a bit deflated, the canvas had quite a few holes here and there, plus it looked 'slippery' like a cheap coat. The stainless steel boat rack had surface rust all over it and it was only 3 months old, admittedly he had travelled the west coast in that time so sea spray would be an issue but not enough to cause that. He told me Trak Shak said the canvas and stainless was Chinese made and they were about to start shipping Aussie canvas over there to be fitted and were currently looking for a new stainless steel supplier.

I warned my mates buying the new Campomatics to be wary but the price compared to the KK and the like was too good and they went ahead. Still, my retired mates wasn't as bad as the other so there's certainly the chance you can get a good one - maybe it's the old Landrover thing about getting one built on Monday and not a Friday, or the other way around?

Mark.

Trak Shak, FJ Cruiser

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »
Look closely at the bottom picture of Trak Shaks and follow the yellow line - that looks like a Campomatic sitting next to a Trak Shak! Only just noticed it.

Mark.

Look closely at the kitchen in the foreground also, is that from a Camp O as it is not the kitchen from a Trak Shak?

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 11:25:04 PM »
Look at the shed roof on the second and third picture, definitely the same shed.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline markymark

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011, 11:06:57 AM »
Good pick ups, the shed walls are the same and the kitchen is a slide out one, you can see the lock open, no doubt sticking out of a Campomatic.

These guys need a PR revamp, be open and up-front about their operations, drastically improve their pre-delivery quality inspections and back it all up with a do-anything-for-the-customer warranty. Otherwise I can see the demise of 2 iconic 'Aussie?' campers.

Mark.
Trak Shak, FJ Cruiser

Offline Spender

• Tent User
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 06:28:04 PM »
I think the chinese signs on the wall are some what of a give away!!
White 2012 GXL Prado, Petrol, auto, 60ltr Waeco, 2009 Vacation Camper, MySwag sticker, lots of recovery gear including new Maxtraks