Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 3305 times)

Offline scottwheels

• Learning the Ropes
Greetings
« on: May 31, 2016, 01:57:01 AM »
Hello forumites!  The name is Scott, from Humpty Doo in Darwin's rural area.

I'm looking at getting a camper trailer for the family, but I'm a bit bamboozled by it all.  I currently camp in tents (instant up Black Wolf for the missus and I, and a Wanderer version for the 3 kids), but I have reached the capacity of what I can safely carry in the wagon.  This does limit camping locations (no ability to carry 12V, water or additional fuel).  I initially decided not to go down the CT route, primarily due to a bad experience towing a loaded trailer down the Central Arnhem Highway, but I realize now some light truck tyres would have saved me hours of heartache. 

The campsites also take 60-90 minutes to set up / pack up, which is too long for the sort of travelling we do.  Generally we are only in a place for 1-2 nights, and it really limits how much we can do since the campsite takes so long to organise.  Last year in Kuranda we watched a family pack up their soft floor CT while I was dismantling my campsite.  They were out of there in half an hour, despite having 2 small boys getting into things as fast as they could pack them.  Meanwhile, I'm still loading the wagon in a certain order, or I cant fit everything in and I have to start over.

I have a list of preferences for a camper trailer, so I'll be asking a few questions and testing my assumptions in the technical area.  I look forward to being able to avoid a few mistakes from the experiences of others.

Cheers, Scott

Offline scottwheels

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 02:27:47 AM »
I just read some of the other intros, and I realised it might be helpful to post some further criteria.

I like the look of rear fold hard floor camper trailers due to the speed of set up, but storage seems to be a bit of an issue.  In reality, what would suit my needs are:
* Second hand - reasonably priced, $5k-$10k (can't spend a million bucks).
* Quick set-up.  Hard floor seems faster, and I'd like a free-standing annex with spreader bars if possible, but these don't seem to be a feature on older tents. 
* 750kg GTM - I don't have an electric brake controller, and I don't fancy the fuel cost of pulling 1500kg of camper trailer around the country.  I don't understand why they have to be so heavy, the older ones seem to be much lighter than the newer ones.  Being able to push it around by hand at the camp site is handy too.
* Off road suspension, but no need for independent springs.  Just about every 4WD ute in the country gets along fine on leaf springs with shockies, so that's my preference.  Happy to hear other's experiences though.
* Some storage for table / chairs / food / clothes  / fridge would be handy.  It all fits in the wagon at the moment though, so as long as I could carry jerries of fuel and water, plus a battery on the drawbar somewhere, I'd be winning.  Hard floors often have a rack on the top which could be used for storage too.

That's about it.  A kitchen would be nice, but certainly not essential.  The trestles and primus stove have done ok so far, but I imagine there will be time savings with an integrated kitchen.  I'd be interested to hear of other time saving add-ons other myswaggers use.

Other essential info:
* Family consists of missus and I, plus 3 daughters (13, 10 and 7).  Kids currently sleep in their own tent, which I would probably continue to do for anything more than 1 night.  It would be nice to be able to throw mattresses and sleeping bags on the hard floor for overnighters though.
* Tow vehicle is a current model Pajero, stock with factory tow bar / roof bars / nudge bar.  Still has the factory H/T tyres, so once I won't be venturing too far off the beaten track until I get a good set of all terrains.

Cheers, Scott

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 05:14:28 AM »
G'day and welcome Scott.
Good luck with the camper search too mate.

:cheers:

Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 07:49:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum mate,

If you can't find all the information you need here, it doesn't exist!

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 07:20:58 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Scott

GG