Author Topic: Whats your ultimate touring setup  (Read 9552 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Whats your ultimate touring setup
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 10:12:36 PM »
200 cut down - $160K plus
Hybrid - 60 to 140K

Not that rich but guess some are  :D

KB

If you buy new and cut it down the luxury car tax comes off the Cruza and the conversion is as cheap as $25k
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 10:13:57 PM »
Earthcruiser are actually Australian but now is also made in the States.
Canter owner and operator and I believe the ultimate Rig. But, just the Wife and I so there is a difference to others needs.

Dan.

Looked in a earth cruiser at a show once, very claustrophobic imo wasn’t a fan. Love the concept thou. Just question the actually usability.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 11:02:41 PM »
Oh forgot to say Thats why we went the old 80 fit 3 in the front and 3 in the next lot of seats as we have 6 in our family too, And went for the old Jayco pop up van, that combo is just prefect for us, at around 15 grand rebuilt for both, Craig

1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 11:18:11 PM »
So this site is ultimately about camper trailers (although seems to be a lot of the hard walled variety commonly known as caravans) but in dreaming about what my next setup might be (as it years away) I keep liking the idea of an Earthcruiser type set up, sure the off the shelf versions are astronomically priced, but you can get ex-firetrucks that although often getting pretty old, are well maintained and low km for no more than you would likely spend on a trailer chassis/wheels/suspension plus mods to a tow vehicle to make it suitable for towing a biggish van.

Then I would think the build costs would be similar to DIY making a van as it would be as it would be a similar undertaking.

Part of my thinking comes from being a family of 6 so a lot more real estate is needed, it might be different if it was just two of us but I always find myself liking the idea more than towing a big enough van to fit us all in.

So firstly, if you were going to go for a touring setup from scratch, what types of setup would you entertain and secondly, what would be the probable negatives of taking the above route that I might not have thought of compared to a 6 birth caravan and suitable tow vehicle.

Here is an example of a fire truck (although think this one is only 4x2) that would suit and is only 15K, an advantage for me is you can fit 4 across the back seat so no third row needed.

Some reading and inspiration for you TA .
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new.48351/      ....      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfeonYc6qW8&list=PL85RTK4WmIJKMEFfn6FcDt8NvrS3qRGx5

" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 05:30:48 AM »
Oh forgot to say Thats why we went the old 80 fit 3 in the front and 3 in the next lot of seats as we have 6 in our family too, And went for the old Jayco pop up van, that combo is just prefect for us, at around 15 grand rebuilt for both, Craig

The perfect unit is whatever makes you happy.  Plenty of wannabes and look at mes out there driving ridiculous expensive monstrosities and staying in van parks.  Stuff that...may as well stay home and watch tv.   Give me a setup that requires me to get off my arse and do something (adjust the kitchen set-up. add a few more sockets etc.etc)...plus I like to fit in with nature and enjoy it.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Online Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2018, 07:58:33 AM »
Just have to work out downsizing from a four bedroom house to all our belonging in our defender Poptop. 

Tht's going to take an awful lot of packing, Weeds, even with just the two of you! :o >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline stephenh1235

• Tent User
  • Have gun will travel
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2018, 08:00:45 AM »
Earthcruiser are actually Australian but now is also made in the States.
Canter owner and operator and I believe the ultimate Rig. But, just the Wife and I so there is a difference to others needs.

Dan.

I'm exactly the same as Dan ="I believe the ultimate rig", just suits our needs as a couple now that kids have moved on,still manageable at this age in life, lets us tow our dinghy,haven't found anywhere it can't go that I wanted to go, the slide on packs up with the push of a button, sits easily on the maximum 100kph speed limit, economy - 19Ls/100ks, all at a cost of 50Ks.  G.V.M. concerns??
Steve
2004 Mitsubishi 4WD Canter
2003 HZJ105
2014 Palamino 1251ss slide on
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Kegs1972

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2018, 08:07:46 AM »

Give me a setup that requires me to get off my arse and do something (adjust the kitchen set-up. add a few more sockets etc.etc)...plus I like to fit in with nature and enjoy it.

couldn't have said it better myself - one of the things i love about camping, always rethinking and streamlining for the next trip away!  ;D
Life is too short so make the most of every day!

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2018, 09:00:37 AM »
Don't need much more than this...…………… maybe a tinny for fishing, but that's it. Don't need bling, don't need fancy gadgets just the open road and some coin!! That's ultimate enough for me!!!
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....
The following users thanked this post: plusnq, Craig Tomkinson

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2018, 03:37:49 PM »
Don't need much more than this...…………… maybe a tinny for fishing, but that's it. Don't need bling, don't need fancy gadgets just the open road and some coin!! That's ultimate enough for me!!!
shouldn’t you start by getting you something that gets you home from your destination? ;D
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2018, 05:32:42 PM »
shouldn’t you start by getting you something that gets you home from your destination? ;D

Where would the fun be in that? 😂😂😂

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »

Part of the adventure sunshine...…….. ;D ;D
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2018, 07:26:29 PM »
Even though I own one, those "massive" 4wds really are only just a bit bigger than most other 4wds. But they sure are comfortable on a trip....unlike some "small" 4wds !!
I know how you feel.... Sometimes when I look in the mirror I really want to believe my fat guts are not as big as they appear in that reflection... ;)

But we all have to accept reality and as much as I wish I saw a 6 pack in the mirror, I’m sure you also wish your 200 series wasn’t only 50mm narrower then a F250 truck.

Unfortunately that is the truth.

That and the F250 is only 8mm taller and 400kg heavier then your 200 series. :)

At least the over 1 ton payload in the F250 makes for a decent base to build a rig in the theme of this thread.

FYI,
Not sure if a Prado is one of those “small” 4wds, but they’re 160mm narrower and 630kg lighter then your big blubber guts 200.... :P

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2018, 08:49:56 PM »
Not sure if a Prado is one of those “small” 4wds, but they’re 160mm narrower and 630kg lighter then your big blubber guts 200.... :P
1cm wider and 1cm longer (LWB) than a Wrangler  ;)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2018, 09:02:18 PM »
https://earthroamer.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=941pHjq_EfQ

I just don't see it being worth 1.5mil, doesn't seem like you get that much extra for your 1 mil more than a cheaper version.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2018, 09:26:01 PM »
I just don't see it being worth 1.5mil, doesn't seem like you get that much extra for your 1 mil more than a cheaper version.

and that would be 1.5 mil US dollars. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2018, 10:15:28 PM »

The perfect unit is whatever makes you happy.  Plenty of wannabes and look at mes out there driving ridiculous expensive monstrosities and staying in van parks.  Stuff that...may as well stay home and watch tv.   Give me a setup that requires me to get off my arse and do something (adjust the kitchen set-up. add a few more sockets etc.etc)...plus I like to fit in with nature and enjoy it.

x 54324789. Half the fun with camping is tinkering, modifying, adjusting etc. my ranger with camping canopy and jayco camper is almost perfect for us with 3 kids under 10...
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2018, 04:25:54 AM »
Whatever gets us into the most places with all the necessary comforts. I can't think of a more capable, practical and versatile tug than a chopped 200, plus an off road van that ticks all our boxes:

- Island bed - after years of camper trailers, we don't want to spend our old age climbing over each other to get in and out of bed.
 - Outdoor kitchen - we have a pretty well equipped indoor kitchen in the swan, and we do 100% of our cooking on the weber or the fire.
 - Indoor bathroom - starting to turn into a luxury palace now...
 - Oven and washing machine - essentials for comfortable long term touring.
 - Ease of setup - If I could pop a top and roll out an awning and be done I'd be living the dream!

Something like the 19' jayco adventurer ticks all those boxes, I just wish they could cram it all into 15'.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2018, 09:27:18 AM »
Quote from: nab
Half the fun with camping is tinkering, modifying, adjusting etc.
Im the opposite.. I just wanna hook up and go.. no hassles, no ****ing around. Get there and relax.. Go home, reverse into shed, remove fridge and cutlery.. wash and store until next decade.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2018, 09:53:25 AM »
We bumped into a group of earthcruises a couple of times on our last trip, one we spoke to said he's unit cost $800000, we found one of the units down the end of a hard track, he actually went a bit further on than I wanted to take the Prado. Personally I wouldn't be driving a unit that coast that much down a narrow track we had problems negotiating in the Prado.

We also bumped into a similar unit at Nulhumbuy a couple of years back, they broke something on the rear suspension and had to have it repaired, granted the road in was hard but I would have thought that something that cost so much would have been able to handle the conditions.
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
We have found the VistaRv and Prado combo has taken us everywhere we want to go without any hassles. During our travels we have passed many battle wounded camper trailer, caravans and cars. The only points we have found lacking is a quick shower setup and no toilet which it would be nice to have at times. They have released new models now with quick set up ensuite and freed up a cupboard inside which could house a porta potti. I'm surprised they addressed the shower issue with a nice solution but did nothing regarding the toilet, the other half would much have preferred if they had done something about an inside toilet rather than the external shower.
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2018, 11:35:12 AM »
Im the opposite.. I just wanna hook up and go.. no hassles, no ****ing around. Get there and relax.. Go home, reverse into shed, remove fridge and cutlery.. wash and store until next decade.
x2 on above...I go camping to relax not work, I also don’t want to spend my spare time working on my 4wd or camper. I do enough manual labour at work each week without doing it in my spare time also.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2018, 02:30:01 PM »
x2 on above...I go camping to relax not work, I also don’t want to spend my spare time working on my 4wd or camper. I do enough manual labour at work each week without doing it in my spare time also.

I can be on my 3rd can by the time you almost finish setting up...……….. ;D ;D