Author Topic: Hard Floor Choice  (Read 1958 times)

Offline 404pug

• Sleeping Bag User
Hard Floor Choice
« on: June 13, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
I have decided on a second hand hard floor and narrowed the field to 3: Cub, Campomatic, and Aussie Swag. It will be second hand { $ 10,000 ish] and will be used offroad and will traverse many of the crappy interior roads [ Tanami, Anne Beadell etc. Any particular plusses  or minuses for any of these 3? I want a tough offroad camper which is easy to set up and take down for overnight stops and will be for 2 people only. Suggestions? Thanks.  ???

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Hard Floor Choice
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 12:22:09 AM »
Out of those 3, keeping in mind you want a fair dinkum offroader, would be the Campomatic.......at around $10000 it would be the earlier non chinese models..

Aussie Swag is good, but you won't find a decent one for that money....nor a KK, which would be my personal no1 choice.....but not at that price !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 03:57:57 AM »
Agree with above comment.
And watch out for the cubs because for that money you will find the onroad version and possibly from someone that has put offroad tyres on it - Not a true offroader.
I looked at an Aussie swag that was a 1998 for close to what you are looking to spend and it needed another few grand to get it upto scratch because it was flogged. I steered clear.
Good luck with the hunt mate.
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 05:49:08 AM »
I wish you all the best with your CT hunting.  unfortunately, with a budget of $10K, you can pretty well scratch the KK, CY, Cub, Aussie Swags all off your list. We looked for over 12 months and our budget was $18K.  $10K will get you a great 2nd hand Aussie soft floor or a 2nd hand Chinese hard floor one.

We ended up buying a brand new Chinese hardfloor direct from an importer for $10K. This model is sold by other major companies for $15K. We used the money we saved to modify the CT to our needs by replacing things like the hitch, hubs, bearings, wheels, batteries and tyres and generally improving everything. I reckon it owes us less than $14k.

Good luck with you choices.

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 09:00:31 AM »
We got a 2001 Cub Kamperoo offroad for just under $5000, its quite basic but suits our needs. It needed a bit of a clean up and I upgraded a few things. Best of luck, if you have time on your side you might find a bargain for the money you have.

Offline 404pug

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »
Thanks, Gents. Has anyone had any unusually bad experiences with any of these 3 while towing on the dirt? ie has anything broken/ fallen off. I do have a favorite among them but it will come down to what becomes available around my price range.

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 06:28:13 PM »
My 2007 Cub Supamatic Regal Offroad was purchased 2nd hand in Sept 2013 for $17,000. Bit dearer than some of the others but the woners had bought it new and had 17" wheels on it - it had pretty new Mickey Thomson A/T tyres and he had dust proofed it. 

Very happy with it.  Have added a battery system and internal and external LED lights - - bought from McGirr (thanks Mark) and just recently had the wheel bearings and brakes and the brake cabling replaced. Suspension was also greased.

Have been happy with it so far for the 3 shorter trips done. But looking forward to a month on a Flinders Ranges trip in October.
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com