Author Topic: Mouse plague Central Aus - Cub Camper  (Read 5521 times)

Offline 95cruza

• Tent User
Mouse plague Central Aus - Cub Camper
« on: June 30, 2011, 09:13:30 PM »
Last info is there are still plenty of them around - we are heading to Kings Canyon and Alice with a new cub camper (Brumby) and were wondering if there is anyway to do something preventative to stop them getting in at night, perhaps a bit of steel wool around the base (inside) of the tent where it meets the floor and in any holes.  I guess they may climb up the wheels/jockey wheel ?  Not sure there is any way to stop them all?  I really just don't want to pack it up with any left in there and have them chew through canvas trying to get out, the camper is brand new and only been seasoned without us having actually used it yet ( due to various reasons).  We already had enough dramas when we picked it up from Dave Bensons Caravan mob in Adelaide.

cheers for any info

Phil and Wendy
Cheers Phil & Wendy
2013 Hilux D/C & 2013 Ultimate XTRK
Have fun, your here for a good time not a long time.

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Mouse plague Central Aus - Cub Camper
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 09:32:34 PM »
Another unhappy DBC customer - they seem to have a few of them.

We left our sink bucket half filled with water with a few scraps leading up to it with he theory that they would smell that and go in teh bucket without coming into the camper.  We found five one morning in there, although there was evidence that one had been inside.  Hoewever come pack up time we did a thorough check and he was long gone before we finally flipped the camper over.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 09:36:06 PM »
Just come back from up that way. Not much you can do about them when you're in a camper. Too many gaps.......... >:(

Never saw them use the wheels/jockey wheel, but did see them scamper up the legs that hold the flip-over floor up. Also saw them jump up directly onto the skirt around the floor............
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:14:04 PM »
Good luck !!! Just bought a second hand cub brumby....can't wait to use it ...
Life is to short not to...............

Offline tootall

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:21:13 PM »
Leave some icing sugar out for them and don't forget to mix a little concrete in with it and little water for em to drink ;)
2001 GU Patrol * 2009 Jayco Hawk Outback * Oztent RV4

Offline stessl85

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:09:33 PM »
There were hordes of mice when we were recently in Central Australia in our cub supamatic. Mice climbed up onto the roof of the camper for a few nights and the little scampering sounds drove me crazy.  They were using the annex to get up. I wound up the annex so it was well clear of the ground and no more mice on roof.
Also had one mouse get in under the bed when we did not put the kitchen away. Also started securing all food inside sturdy plastic containers and moving all items that mice could climb on away from the trailer - tables, chairs, side step etc. Bought some mice traps and put them under the bed and on the floor section of my cub. Never caught a mouse inside the trailer. They were still there, just outside the trailer - just shining the torch anywhere on the ground after dark revealed plenty of them.
If only mice were tasty to eat.....:)

cheers

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 05:37:19 AM »
Swamp Rat is better , or grilled Canetoad  ( no skin )  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »
We are adding a whole heap more press studs to the camper where the canvas joins the floor and sides to try to block the gaps more. It doesn't stop them climbing up onto the canvas though.

We found they didn't chew through any canvas, thankfully, but are quite partial to rubber and silicon. There were even chew marks on the jockey wheel!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com

Offline 95cruza

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 12:09:09 PM »
Thanks all for the replies, we wont be putting the annex up at Kings as only there 2 nights and then onto Alice - apparently there are next to none at G'Day Mate caravan park where we are staying in Alice.  Hear that people have used napthalene flakes around the campers - not sure how successful though, seems if you stop them climbing the support legs that may be enough.

And yes John not real happy with DBS or even CUB - issues were that we wanted the tropical roof, the salesman didn't know anything about, then we got info back from them that it was similar to others- permanently attached (although removable) as it was new design, on pick up they still didn't know much about it and you have to secure it with straps either end and fit and remove 3 x 1800mm fibreglass poles everytime it goes up and down AND to secure to the rear you have to fit a bent up pole just to secure the strap, it is particularly stupid and I reckon dangerous as it sticks out at waist height ( or child head height) about 3-4 feet from the camper so I've had to modify it already.  Then once packed up we find that the poles for that don't fit in the pole holder which is about 1790mm and they wouldn't couldnt do anything about that so I've already added an extension to it in the short term.  Then we had it up seasoning etc which went well, I was winding up and working out the pole removal sequence, as they did it on ladders either side of the camper (and the instructions were for the old style tropical roof not the new) - so no instructions, when a fraction too late I realised the strap was over the tropical roof and the centre pole had too much pressure and punched through the pocket holding it in place.  So now that has to be fixed which requires 3-4 week lead booking in time, removal of all the canvas for 2 minute sewing job and because we brought it back to Coober Pedy where we are currently we can't get back to do that until the end of the year.  So now we can't use the tropical roof but doesn't affect the rest of the camper roof.  As for the rest of the camper - absolutely no dramas, very happy with it and if we hadn't ordered the tropical roof wouldn't have had any dramas. Then towed it back Coober and parked up in the driveway (dirt ) and we found a nail in the tyre (brand new tyres) which is now getting fixed. Overall purchasing experience from DBS and CUB was not good and one of those " we've got your money ( alot of it) and now we don't care so P@# off"  I for one will never go back to them again and told them that I wouldn't be recommending them to anyone which they thought was fine.  Only problem is if anyone wants a new CUB in Adelaide they are the dealers.  BTW i had photos of it all setup and the tropical roof, put them on a new laptop and deleted them from the camera (which I don't normally do straight away) and then had an issue with the laptop and lost them all.  So now don't have any photos either. Oh well, things could be worse - we move on.
Cheers Phil & Wendy
2013 Hilux D/C & 2013 Ultimate XTRK
Have fun, your here for a good time not a long time.

Offline Eski

• Tent User
  • Practising Grey Nomad
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 08:49:12 PM »
When we stayed at Mungerannie there was a mouse plague.

They got in my daughters trailer and raided their food...

They chewed the canvas on the bottom of my door (Cub Kamparoo Weekender).   >:(     Something bigger was rubbing the camper winder strap but I scared  it off????

Glad to leave that place.

I was safe at William Creek as my neighbours were passing the time at night killing mice.   :cup:
Kym
2022 Isuzu MU-X & Cheetah X-Country

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 05:53:33 AM »
Snake poop works a treat if you can get some from a pet shop or any where that snakes are kept. :D
And no I'm not joking!  ;)

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The beatings will stop when morale improves
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 06:22:09 AM »
I hear DBC are moving from Gepps X, hopefully out of the state. >:D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:24:22 AM by Muso »
Cheers Glenn

Offline Malcur

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 06:51:03 AM »
We did the Oodnadatta track up to Alice Springs in September and saw a few mice at Cowards Springs, only dead ones at William Creek, 1 at Mt Dare and none from there on, including a week at Alice Springs.

Mal

Offline gee-you1

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 05:37:27 PM »
has the tropical roof been sorted on the newer cubs,
or do i just buy one without?

Cheers

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 06:35:32 AM »
Snake poop works a treat if you can get some from a pet shop or any where that snakes are kept. :D
And no I'm not joking!  ;)

Foo

Ooo Foo Poo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 06:37:08 AM »
has the tropical roof been sorted on the newer cubs,
or do i just buy one without?

Cheers

No tropical roof on our 2007 Cub Kamparoo Brumby...............................Cub want $1700 + to fit.

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 07:04:15 AM »
I hear DBC are moving from Gepps X, hopefully out of the state.

they are moving less than a couple of Km's west, still on Grand Junction road, just east of Churchill Road (on the South side)
Hardly even classed as a move