Author Topic: Working and Traveling Australia, Our Journey.  (Read 222547 times)

Offline fc_holden

• Tent User
Re: Living and Working in Remote Areas, Our Journey.
« Reply #175 on: June 15, 2015, 06:06:20 PM »
Great pictures, thanks for making the rest of us even more depressed being stuck here in the cold :D
Live One Day At A Time For Tomorrow May Never Come, Homemade camper trailer with roof top tent, 2014 Landcruiser 200 series Altitude and Coromal 611 caravan

[img width=50 height=33]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/tuggeranong/Southern%20Glen%20Helen%20Gorge/DSC_2219-2.jpg[/im
The following users thanked this post: slave

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #176 on: June 16, 2015, 08:32:32 PM »

Due to Penny having a sore wrist we have travelled to Kalgoorlie a week early. We left  Warburton this morn at 6.00 am and arrived in Kalgoorlie at 4.30pm. Penny sees the doctor tomorrow and I booked the cruiser in for a service also. A lot of shopping to be had so we bought the camper which I emptied out to carry a heap of groceries back. We leave here Sat with a stop overnight somewhere then arrive home on Sunday.

Then back to work Tuesday. Trip report to follow when I stop drinking.  :cheers:

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2015, 11:38:15 AM »
Are the new digs dry ? Or can you have a beer after work :D

yogi

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2015, 07:03:12 PM »
Yogi we are only in Kalgoorlie to get a doctor to look at Penny's wrist. We leave tomorrow to head back to Warburton. Then back to work Tuesday.

While we are here we had a look the super pit. Holy crap it's big. This is the first open cut mine I have seen.

This will give an idea of the size of the place taken from the viewing area photo that's on display.

Full trip report in a few days.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2015, 07:10:36 PM »
You are not going to go all that way for a minor pain.  Hope Penny is OK.

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2015, 07:27:31 PM »
You are not going to go all that way for a minor pain.  Hope Penny is OK.

It's either here or Alice springs. We think Penny may have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Here wrist is very painful. They are not sure if she has it so we are waiting on more tests. We bought a wrist brace. It's getting better.

Mark

The following users thanked this post: Redcherokee

Offline Hogie

• Swag User
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2015, 07:44:38 PM »
We are travelling through there on our way to the NT in two weeks time. What is the condition of the GC Road at the moment?
2010 ST Patrol
2012 Camprite TX6

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
Mark,
how are they going to fill that hole when its finished ? Its huge.

MarkVS   
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2015, 08:09:02 PM »
We are travelling through there on our way to the NT in two weeks time. What is the condition of the GC Road at the moment?

Road is great, we sat on 100k for most of it.

Mark,
how are they going to fill that hole when its finished ? Its huge.

We were lucky to see them set of explosions at the pit. The sound was 10 seconds behind the explosion. Mark the pit is HUGE.

Mark

MarkVS   

The following users thanked this post: Hogie

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2015, 08:45:54 PM »
Hope the  :cheers: are going down well

GG

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »
Hope the  :cheers: are going down well

GG

There's a lot of dust to clear  :cheers:

Mark

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2015, 07:53:58 PM »
Decided as we will be here for a while to do something with the backyard. While at Kalgoorlie I purchased some plants to start a garden.

The grass is very slow growing and there were a heap of foam boxes that people who originally lived in the duplex would grow plants. Decided they would go and would start a garden. I have no plan with the design but would add things as I go.

The first thing was get rid of the foam boxes and some grass then use the dirt from the foam boxes to start the garden.

After driving around the area I found some rocks in a large spot that I would rake up and use a container to bring the rocks home. So far only 3 trips to gather the rocks. A lot more trips to gather more. The area I get the rocks from is about 4 klms from home. Unfortunately there is no landscape suppliers here. So everything I want needs to be raked up, put in a large bucket and tipped into the containers.

I found a few flat rocks buried in the back yard so decided to dig them up and use them as a path. The greenish colored rocks I used to fill the gaps between the flat rocks I got from the old copper mine. Same thing rake them up and put them in a container in the back of the cruiser.

Today I gathered some flat rocks from another area to make a fire pit. Still some work to go as I need to add more rocks in the base of the fire pit. While digging the hole in the yard I found the main tap buried under the grass so had to move the fire pit design away from it.

The garden is starting to take shape as I found a heap of Quartz rocks in an area that will be used in the design. I am trying to use as much color as possible in the design.

Just need to move some more dirt to the garden from the yard then will dig up some plants from the area. More rock gathering to come from different areas.

Mark

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2015, 07:59:58 PM »
Nice fire pit, make sure it doesn't light up that tree :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2015, 10:27:23 PM »
Camping was on the cards last weekend so Pete and Sue decided to take us to a place called McKenzie Gorge. The gorge is approx 100 klm along the Connie Sue Track. We left Sat at 2.00pm after work and took a link road to join up on the Connie Sue. We had gathered a heap of wood the Wed before for the trip.

The road was pretty corrugated in sections and was very hard to get above them due to the track weaving all over the place. The scenery changed constantly from vegetated sand dunes to tree less open plains.

The corrugations.

Some of the plants along the track.

The track changes dramatically from being heavily vegetated to open plains.

The Gorge.

We decided to make our way into the gorge to get away from the wind. After 10 min we found a track in and set up camp. It took us. Approx an hour and a half to get here.

The fire was quickly started as we knew it would be a cool night.

The bush pin strips. Some of the bushes love cars.

I managed to get a few pics before the sun set.

After cooking some burgers on the webber Q we settled in as the cold weather hit and F€%¥ it got cold. We rugged up around the fire and even put hot coals under the chairs but walk one foot away from the fire and it was like hitting a frozen wall. Time moved on and it was time to go to bed. Opened the camper up and I swear there was ice inside. We jumped up on the bed with our 15 layers of clothing on and even the pillow was frozen. I just laid there with the hood of my jacket over me. I swear I know now what rigormortis is like. I dare not move as any mm either way the bed was freezing. Any way I finally fell asleep, hoping I would wake up, and not freeze to death.

About 3.00am, you guessed it, I was busting to go to the men's room. I tried to hold on but my kidneys shrunk to the size of a pea so I had no hope. I crawled out of bed with a wimped and made my way out of the camper. Holy *%€¥ it was freezing. I found a spot away from the cool icy breeze and hoped I would be able to undo my pants and hopefully find it. I swear I had to empty 50 ltrs of fluid. I pictured myself being found in the morning frozen in this position. Finally what seemed like hours I crawled back into bed and whimpered again. Penny was snoring but her snores were broken by her mumbling something about ice.

Morning came and I was alive. I waited until there was some sun and got up. There was a breeze but not as cold or I could not feel it still being numb. Bacon and eggs was the ideal breakfast and I let Penny sleep in a little as I could still hear her snoring so I was relieved she made it through the night. We found out the temperature was down to 1 degree that night.

I decided to get some more pics of the area.

We started to pack up and head back taking our time. The road seemed a lot rougher on the way back. After about 30mins driving I heard a noise and pulled up. Checked the camper and all seemed fine. Another 2 klm and I could smell something burning. Next minute the drivers side rear tyre exploded. Bugger. I get the jack out, crawl under the car and here is a stick that got stuck between the shock and wheel and it was tearing a hole into the tyre hence the burning smell. The tyre was destroyed and still had some great tread on it. Oh well these things happen.

We made it back and the fun of cleaning begun. We enjoyed the trip and the country side out here.

Mark

Offline V8CRSA

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Just waiting to hit the open road again......
« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »

That looks like a pretty cool spot mate, I have been doing some research on the commie sue as we are planning on doing ABH again in a few years and also doing the connie sue.
I have read that the traditional owners don't want anyone leaving the track in these areas now and the gorge is impossible to get access too ?
Check the pics coming mate,

Cheers Matt
2013 GXL TTD 200 SERIES CRUISER
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
Not quite "ATS" but working on it

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2015, 10:42:42 PM »
Brilliant read mate, glad you didn't freeze to death  ;D  , the photos are great and it's cool to see some of the area that your working in at the moment. Coming from Cairns I'm guessing that anything below 10c is cold for you ( I'm the same  :-[ )
Please keep the trip reports coming.....................their a breath of fresh air to us here in the big smog smoke  :cheers:

Cheers
Johnno
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline stiffbreeze

• Tent User
« Reply #191 on: July 17, 2015, 06:53:29 AM »
Great read mate. Really enjoy this thread and seeing the pics of the landscape out there.

Cheers.

KingBilly

« Reply #192 on: July 17, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »
Thanks for sharing Mark  :cup:   Damn unlucky with the stick and tyre  >:(

KB

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #193 on: July 17, 2015, 10:38:57 AM »
Looks like good country to take a Minlab for a walk.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2015, 09:47:51 PM »
Decided to head out today to grab some more plants from the bush. While driving around I spotted a dark red plant from the road. It turned out to be Sturt Desert Peas.

What an incredible plant. I have only ever seen them in Alice Springs and never out here. They were growing in a culvert on the side of the road.

Mark

Offline letsgoplaces

• Tent User
« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2015, 10:15:54 PM »
Hi Mark,

Great pictures of your travels so far. It's great to get out and have a look around :)
I certainly don't miss those corrugations though :p

Cheers
John
Another awesome forum.... now i'll never get to bed :D
The following users thanked this post: McGirr

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2015, 11:17:23 PM »
hey Mark, it must be great to see some wild desert peas, the ones in Alice are actually all cultivated, the natural range is a few hundred KM sth, closer to Uluru way, of course with a green thumb you can get them to grow many places! they don't like having their roots disturbed too much, so you might not have much success relocating them. the seeds are easy to collect when the flowers die off, I can talk you through growing them from seed if you like.
Matt

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #197 on: July 19, 2015, 11:47:36 PM »
Decided to head out today to grab some more plants from the bush. While driving around I spotted a dark red plant from the road. .........They were growing in a culvert on the side of the road.
Operative words " They Were growing " Does that mean they are now adding colour to the  McGirrs new garden  ;D ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #198 on: July 19, 2015, 11:55:30 PM »
hey Mark, it must be great to see some wild desert peas, the ones in Alice are actually all cultivated, the natural range is a few hundred KM sth, closer to Uluru way, of course with a green thumb you can get them to grow many places! they don't like having their roots disturbed too much, so you might not have much success relocating them. the seeds are easy to collect when the flowers die off, I can talk you through growing them from seed if you like.
Matt

Matt that would be appreciated. Send me a pm.

Operative words " They Were growing " Does that mean they are now adding colour to the  McGirrs new garden  ;D ;D

The soil here is like digging through concrete. It is baked from the sun. I would rather leave them in the wild and collect the seeds.

Mark

Mark

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2015, 08:05:11 AM »
Love looking through your photos and seeing that beautiful landscape. A perfect remedy for these chilly winter days  :cup:
Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631