Author Topic: Hi all...yes am a newbie...looking to change my camper  (Read 7000 times)

Offline Chicky Babe

• Learning the Ropes
Hi all...yes am a newbie...looking to change my camper
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:16:18 PM »
Howdy All,  Yes am new to this forum...HELLO   ;D

I have owned several campers, a Nathan trailer with a koala tent soft floor and a Golf poptop.  Looking at going back to the soft floor but rear fold.  Have been researching on myswag about outback campers - namely the Canning and Sturt.  Great information here and enjoy how proactive you all are :)  so after surfing the net and this forum I have a few questions if someone could kindly help  :angel:

I am looking at purchasing 2nd hand and have a 2005 model Canning in mind, I like the weight and there are only two of us.  The question I have is does anyone know if the pole that is put in place - supporting the roof - at the door frame - inside the tent area (not the outside annexe) leaks any water into the inside of the tent????

Perhaps a silly question as I actually haven't seen any negative reports on these outback campers (mostly the Sturts) but it is nagging me as to how the water doesn't run down the inside of the pole into the tent area??

I do believe that the Sturts are the same as the Cannings but heavier and wider, more suitable for serious offroad use.  But I can only find info on Sturts not Cannings (other than on the outback camper website).

So if anyone can help me that would be great and I would really appreciate it.

:cheers:
Chicky

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
Re: Hi all...yes am a newbie...looking to change my camper
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »
Welcome to the show Chicky Babe, sounds like a pick up line but what the heck!

2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:27:28 PM »
Welcome chicky babe, great forum..

Offline pigd4d

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:42:37 PM »
G'day chicky any luck on your search
GET OUT THERE AND ENJOY IT-LIVE THE DREAM
CHEERS MICK

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 05:17:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum chicky.
Excellent place to help you find your camper. :cup:
Enjoy the chat
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline Smoko

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 05:34:14 AM »
Welcome to Myswag good luck with your camper search

Smoko
2009 Vacation Camper 2015 Triton

Offline Chicky Babe

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:20:43 AM »
Welcome to the show Chicky Babe, sounds like a pick up line but what the heck!

Ha ha ha...thanks for the welcome everyone  :laugh:

Offline Gmac52

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 08:38:30 AM »
 :D Howdy Howdy have fun on the forum , lots of good info :laugh:
Cheers Gra
GU 3.0Lt 2" Lift 3"exhaust  Tune-it chip 33" Maxxis Big Horn Mike Vine inter-cooler Kit Trackabout Safari

Online Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 08:40:09 AM »
Hey Chicky Babe,
[*img]http://www.hairfysh.com/images/Icons/Smileys/welcome.gif[/img]
To MySwag.  ;D
Someone will have the answers you seek.
Wish you well in your hunt for your camper.
And when you get it, Happy & Safe Travels.
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 12:40:30 PM »
Hi Chicky,

Re: that pole leaking.  The short answer is yes, but don't let that put you off.

We had a really bad night a few months ago when the tent was flexing with the wind and non stop rain for about 16 hours, and we got pretty wet through a lot of seams (our Sturt is new so obviously our seasoning wasn't up to scratch). We also got some water in around the pole, but it was the least of our problems.  It would have been perhaps a tablespoon full or more overnight from the pole, and I suspect that came in because of the way the tent was flexing under the wind (there were a few blown over tents nearby in the morning).

After Snosealing the offending seams, we have been out in the rain since, and had only trivial issues.  Both times when it rained properly we got a few drips down that pole (and just a few drips on some seams).  Last time it rained a fair bit but was only a little windy, and the water from that pole was way less than what we walked in in with our wet coats - I didn't even bother to wipe it up as it was just a few drops out of the way behind the pole.   Other times we have had lighter rain and it hasn't leaked at all.

In theory because you push the pole higher than the surrounding canvas, it shouldn't leak, but in practice that depends on the angle the rain is coming at and just how much it is raining and the wind.  I am thinking of experimenting with a simple o-ring or similar there to improve the seal for days we expect rain.

I wouldn't let this stress you too much, however.  As I said, last time we walked in lots more water than came in via the pole and it has only happened to us in heavier rain.  If you are buying second hand, you should have already had the seasoning done for you.

We also attract leaks - when we used a Tvan it leaked straight onto our pillows, when we had record rain at home, we had leaking problems etc, so we are a bit unlucky that way.   If other people say it hasn't leaked for them, they are probably telling the truth.

I haven't noticed any Canning owners, but there are a few Sturt owners here.  I wanted the Sturt for it's off road ability over the Canning.   Please feel free to ask about anything else you are curious about.

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline Chicky Babe

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 01:37:07 PM »
Hi Chicky,

Re: that pole leaking.  The short answer is yes, but don't let that put you off.

Thanks so much Redcherokee,  that info really helps me!  Water is one thing that will track just about anywhere!!

I can understand all you've said and a bit of water I can handle, am sure there will be a mod I can find or do if this is so. And like I said I can't find a negative word about these outback campers.  I just rang them in Melbourne and had a great chat with John,he was so helpful and answered lots of questions.  I wondered about the rain pooling as there are no ridge poles and thought the canvas may have stretched a bit by now but he said not to worry, set it up right and all will be good as the canvas is Bradmill and high quality.  He did say if I bought it to put new wheel bearings in and that should be standard with all 2nd hand trailer buys.

He also said I won't have a problem setting up by myself cause it is as easy as it looks and the canning is the smaller brother to the Sturt!!  So it all sounds very positive, I have to admit to now being quite excited, I hope it is what I would like!

Will let you all know the outcome and thank you all so much for the welcome and the very quick response to my answer.  I really do appreciate the time you have taken  ;D

Chicky

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »
G'day & Welcome.

I had an Outback Birdsville, not rear fold but with a pole on each side to raise the roof a little. We only ever once had some small water ingress and that was in torrential conditions so I wasn't concerned.

Outback make good campers, if a little unfashionable. They do make the tough though.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 08:38:09 PM »
Hi and welcome Chicky! Enjoy the forum :)
2007 Holden Rodeo with 2012 Jayco Swan Outback :)

Offline Wuzgonna

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 10:29:07 PM »
Welcome aboard, so much to read here, so many decisions to make!!

Enjoy.

Cheers

Dave
, The old rig gone but not forgotten...

Offline Andyb2030

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 10:42:31 PM »
Hi Chicky,
Welcome aboard. Looks like you already have your question answered.
2005 Landcruiser Prado Towing a 2012 Mountain Trail Campers Expedition.

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 02:05:05 PM »
Hi Chicky and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: bubba
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »
Hi Chicky,
We have a sturt and have never had water in that hole in the roof. We were in central aus last year and it came down heavy but no rain came in there.
The rear fold tent is a breeze to set up an pack up too. I think you will love it.
Here is my thread. http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=11161.0
Enjoy and if you have any questions please ask.
Regards
Crisp Image

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline hookedon4wding

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • My Videos
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 05:30:04 PM »
Outback make good campers, if a little unfashionable. They do make the tough though.

What, you don't like the ochre colour Jules?  ;D

Chicky, we have had a little water come in through the 'pole hole' but nothing major, and only in heavy rain.

My solution was to wrap some electrical tape around the spike on the pole (thicker at the base and thinning out towards the top) and then using some heat shrink over the top of the tape to give it some protection. Now, when the pole is jammed up through the hole, the rubberised heat shrink forms a good seal. Nice, cheap fix which only takes a couple of minutes per pole.

I'll try and remember to get a couple of photos for you.

They (the Sturts) are a great camper. With a few easy DIY upgrades, they're even better. Easy to put up/down, light, and solid off-road.

Let me know if you need any other info or check out my build thread (link in signature).

Cheers, Sam.

Offline Chicky Babe

• Learning the Ropes
Hi All...thanks so much for the welcomes  ;D

Thank you for answering my question and sharing your experiences, it certainly helped me with my decision!!

I bought the camper...Outback Camper "Canning".....yaaaaaay!!

Am very pleased with it, had a long day, long drive down checking it out and then towing it home woohoo!!  The people that had it were so nice and took lots of time showing me the camper and let my daughter and I put it up and pack away.  I even got to trial towing it cause the rego showed it as 640 kilo tare and that worried me a bit but it was all good, much lighter than my present camper. 

Offline Chicky Babe

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 10:00:57 PM »
Oops...pressed the wrong button and didn't finish my post  :laugh: :laugh

Got the camper home quite late last night and up early today with the thought of just adjusting a few things, moving some things around and set up/pack up again, basically just have a play with it.  Ended up emptying it, cleaning it and transferring all the gear out of my old camper into the new one!!  What a day!!!  I need to add some slides in the storage area (under the bed) to carry the food and the fridge.  Plan on putting some hatches in the side as well but that will take some time.  At least I can head off and have a play hopefully next weekend  :cheers:

Yes I know  :worthles:  will post up tomorrow, haven't downloaded off my phone yet and am a bit pooped LOL!!   

Goin to bed now...once again thank you all so much and will keep you posted.

Chicky

Offline hookedon4wding

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • My Videos
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 10:45:56 AM »
I need to add some slides in the storage area (under the bed) to carry the food and the fridge.  Plan on putting some hatches in the side as well.

Check out Drifta for some cool slide out storage options. Considering a couple of drawers for mine. Be very interested to see how you go with the hatches in the side. I'd love to add one on each side behind the wheel arch on my Sturt.

Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Cheers, Sam.

Offline RosLed

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 09:56:21 PM »
welcome Chicky Babe and congrats on the new camper. Look forward to the pics
Cheers,
Ross

Triton and Robust Camper

Offline Chicky Babe

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 04:51:17 PM »
Check out Drifta for some cool slide out storage options. Considering a couple of drawers for mine. Be very interested to see how you go with the hatches in the side. I'd love to add one on each side behind the wheel arch on my Sturt.

Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Cheers, Sam.

Will do, thanks Outdoor campers in WA have some great ideas as well.  I will let you know what the plan is with the hatches.  A friend of mine makes goosenecks (big horse floats) so will fill you in on the plan!!

cheers
Chicky

Offline Billybass

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 08:07:39 PM »
Hi,I am a newby myself,good luck with your search,thats half the fun.I have just bought a Cub spacevan and looking forward to chatting with anyone with similar,having a few teething problems,need some expert advise.Great forum,very interesting.

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
Hi all...yes am a newbie...looking to change my camper
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 09:11:44 PM »
Gday Chicky babe and welcome
Sounds like you have done your homework good luck with it all :cheers:

BD
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:14:22 PM by Black Diamond »
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....