Author Topic: Gold Coast is wet!  (Read 2861 times)

Offline mayney

• Tent User
Gold Coast is wet!
« on: January 24, 2012, 11:26:44 PM »
Hello Everybody!

I'm Brett (Mayney) from soggy South East Qld, originally from Midwest Coast of W.A.
Previous owner of a 100 series turbo diesel year 2000, 335K kms and have now upgraded to a 09 TTD V8 SAHARA! 65K kms.
I don't know what I was thinking, too scared to hurt it! In good time though!
In the market for a camper, not new to camping but am to campers.
Saw JT and likely to go him, although missus wants a comfy van like a Coromal or Goldstream. Advice as to where these can actually go OFFROAD will be helpful.
I am yet to see the sights of the offroad scene on the east coast and want to do all the famous places, the Cape, Fraser etc. Love my fishing so the coast will be my main haunts.
Also want to get rear bar, side bars, racks etc fitted to the rig but am gong to have to pay to get this done as I had major back surgery and can no longer do heavy tasks. Also if there are ay other Sahara owners with the 18" rims, tyre choice info will be most helpful, the standards just won't do!
I'm dying to see this coast, been a rough 3 years for myself and little family due to back injury, meds and so forth and looking orward to living life again!

Stay safe all and loving the site!
Cheers, Mayney.
09 TTDV8 LC200 Sahara, #199 Ultimate Xtrk June 2012

Offline hillbilly

• Tent User
Re: Gold Coast is wet!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:52:51 PM »
G'day Mayney, welcome to myswag. Great news to hear things are looking better for you!! Not a bad tow rig hey... Will your back be up to setting up a camper? Both hard and soft floors still have a bit of manual work involved in setting them up?

Hillbilly
2008 VDJ78R Troopy

http://hillbilliesinthekimberley.blogspot.com.au
hillbillyholidays.wordpress.com

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:20:39 AM »
Welcome mate,

We are also wet with flood watches all around us.

Enjoy the Myswag Experience.

Regards

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 05:28:17 AM »
G'day Mayney
Welcome to the forum & great to see things are on the improve.
Good luck with your camper choice.Remember mate "Happy wife
happy life"  ;D

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 06:16:46 AM »
Hi and welcome to My Swag. Plenty of info on here to help you make a choice. Enjoy the search.

Trevor

Offline Twbapest

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 06:20:12 AM »
G'Day Mayney, welcome to the forum, very wet in toowoomba today as well. Plenty of great places to go camping in the SE both bush and coast. We have an Outback Camper (soft floor) the kids sleep inside the trailer. Probably not big enough for teenagers if they want their own space though.
This design gives you a little bit of both van and camper.
Outback camper trailer user

Offline GU_Thomo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
Welcome Mayney,
I hope you enjoy your time here,

Cheers
Parry

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 07:45:37 AM »
G'day & Welcome Mayney.

TTD200 and a Trackabout would be a great combination. Show your wife the extenda with a Dakar kitchen. My wife also thinks she wants a caravan, though we had several great years in a soft floor camper.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 08:22:39 AM »
Welcome aboard Mayney. Just gotta love those 200's with a twin turbo diesel for towing, especially once chipped and a free flowing exhaust fitted 8) 

You will enjoy getting into camping with a camper, makes life a lot easier than a tent or swag (I'm getting soft  ???). If your back is not the best, make sure you set up & down a camper first, they all take a bit of effort. Or you can go a "cross-over" camper like an AORC Quantum. They have all the creature comforts (SWMBO will love that) yet are only marginally bigger than a camper trailer and virtually no setup. And being fully off-road, you will be able to drag it anywhere the 200 can go.

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline mayney

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:33:17 AM »
Morning all,
Thanks for the welcome, most appreciated! This site is addictive, I am beginning to get a shiny arse!
Still raining here, have had to empty my pool twice now, thats 300mm in 2 days.

BigJules, we have seen the extenda models, she was impressed with a set-up from Mountain Trail they had in a showroom here on the coast. We have been to see Johnny Trackabout also and I thought about the Safari SV he had for a customer who didn't end up purchasing what was made, good price saving although I am leaning towards a new extenda. been trying to get in touch with him but I hear he has been crook.
Anyone have any idea as to how the Southern Cross Canvas campers go?
Captain, I am unsure if my Cruiser has a chip but it does have a 3' exhaust, I guess I should have became a sponge and absorbed as much info as possible. My memory isn't the best now after damn meds, and I am only 38!
HillBilly, it will hurt but then I get to rest after and enjoy it all with beer all round, but yeah, if I knew what the pop up campers were really like off road then that would be worth considering.
If I had my way I would buy a new Conqueror!

Thanks for your welcomes again and input, I look forward to looking at my arse in the mirror!
Stay safe,
Mayney.
09 TTDV8 LC200 Sahara, #199 Ultimate Xtrk June 2012