General > General Discussion

Anyone taken their camper aboard the Spirit of Tasmania ?

(1/9) > >>

vagabond:
Just thinking about doing a trip to Tassie next year.  I had a look at the Spirit of Tassie website confirmed that trailers, caravans and even motor homes can be brought onboard. The site mentions that the owner of the vehicle drives into the vessel and parks in a bay.  Anyone tell me how this happens logistically - how big does the vehicle queue get at Port Melbourne ?   How early do you have to queue ?  How tight is the parking ?  How are the vehicles arranged and what happens at Tassie first car in last out (eg filled from back to front) ?  How long does it take to get the car out ?

davo69 and the Nurse:
Great question!

I have never gone on the boat... but my Dad (Spike45) is also looking at taking Goldie the Goldstream on the red boat at Christmas to visit my sister... he would be interested in the same details!

the Nurse

JCAT:
The last time we went on in 2008, it took between 30 - 45 minutes to get on at Port Melbourne. On the way out they send you by the level you are parked on, which is usually fairly quick.
If you were to allow an hour at each end that should easily cover it.

Postie:
If you do the night crossing,  make sure you are awake and ready to drive out. That's where the delays Happen...  sleepy heads not ready to drive out at the right time!

grubbadoo1:
And the parking is like a sardine can packet tight as :cheers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version