Poll

Was/Is your experience?

Great
Good
So so
Poor
Pulling teeth was a better experience

Author Topic: NBN. What is your experience so far.  (Read 127694 times)

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
NBN. What is your experience so far.
« on: August 07, 2017, 11:35:28 AM »
So I moved houses recently and my only option for internet was 4G mobile ($$$$) or apply for NBN fixed wireless. ADSL was not an option as it was too far from the exchange and also there were no ports available anyway.
So I applied for fixed wireless NBN. I can see the tower from my back yard so have line of site to it. Come installation day the tech (NBN contractor) turned up to put the dish on the roof and did an outstanding job on the install. The Termination Unit was showing full strength from the tower so all should be good.
That night I rang my provider to get it set up and 15 minutes later I was up and working. I opted for a 25mb service and after doing a speedcheck was getting between 20 and 24mb down and 3 to 5mb up. So far these speeds have been consistent.
I am aware that fixed wireless may be a different experience than FTTN or FTTP.
So... How has your experience been? Am I one of the lucky ones so far?
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: NBN. What is your experience so far.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 11:46:20 AM »
My first experience with NBNco was trying to get a service pit moved as our local council wouldn't allow us to have a driveway with any service pits in it. They wouldn't allow us to organise it ourselves so after months of back at forth we finally stumped up the $3k to move it a metre. After another month of not hearing back having paid the money we finally convinced them not to delay us any longer. They are hopeless to deal with.

In terms of speed of internet I honestly have not noticed any speed difference between nbn and adsl.
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline cowwee

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:56:36 AM »
We were lucky to be living in Armidale, NSW, and had FTTP 100Mbps line. Was Great!!!
Now we've just moved to Tassie, and our ADSL is terrible. FTTN expected this month and I've ordered 100Mbps....we will see what that's like....I'm not holding my breath!
The sooner someone comes into power and fixes it to FTTP the better!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 12:04:42 PM »
our NBN is slower than our Optus cable ever was at its worst
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 12:17:24 PM »
my father has iinet fixed wireless and gets between 20 and 23Mbps most days, all day, regardless of time.

initial setup was lengthy, as the property sat just outside the wireless boundary, specified by NBN, but they (NBN) did a site survey and found we could still get a good signal.

installation and config was a breeze.  has been rock solid since.

i have iinet FTTN at my home and get between 66 and 68Mbps most days, all day, regardless of time.

changeover was a breeze.

if i was to change my service, i would probably go to aussie broadband, but at this point, i am happy with the service...

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »
our NBN is slower than our Optus cable ever was at its worst

That's interesting to know. Our area is HFC planned for Dec 2018, however we don't have any HFC in the estate only copper. I wonder if Optus will build the HFC and hand it over to NBN?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 12:49:53 PM »
Was the first in the street to hook up to FTTP at 100/40mbps. Ran with both ADSL2 and NBN for a month in case there was any problems. Was glad to get rid of the ADSL2. I did set it up for the guys doing the installation just to make it easier for them as it was quite a run to where I wanted it. Did hear they didn't like crawling through roofs and doubt they would have done it right anyway. Did take them 4 goes at the fiber terminations. Has run around 95mbps at best. I have noticed now that depending on time it has slowed to 65mbps. Maybe now the whole area is on it might be slowing it down. Still it's the best we have at present and I haven't had any real problems with it, except my battery is dying.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 02:31:40 PM »
Quote from: corndog
Maybe now the whole area is on it might be slowing it down.
have read some horror stories on congestion in certain areas too :(
3 steps forward... 2 steps back
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 03:36:57 PM »
We have Optus NBN and it is complete Shite...!  Getting it organised was nothing short of a nightmare, endless issues, billing never right, excuse after excuse, drove me and my wife to the point of maddness.

In the end I finally got a phone call from an Australian representative and she basically admitted that Optus had totally underestimated the demand for NBN and had not purchased sufficient bandwidth from NBN-Co and there was no resolution to the issues for the forseeable future.  In other words....back luck, we stuffed up but you can keep paying us full price for our mistake.

I have absolutely no respect for the telco's in this country.  They couldn't organise a root in a brothel.

To put this into perspective, we were in Egypt 11 years ago and we were able to access full 3G internet everywhere we went including in the middle of the Western Desert.   

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline Mudguts

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 07:52:24 PM »
We had fixed wireless nbn installed near Allora, Qld and it worked great!just had satellite nbn installed near Roma, Qld and all good so far - except for the poxy allowances compared to other types and the fact that uploads count as well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Regards,
Dicko.

'Slow & right beats fast & wrong'

Offline garryc

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 08:03:45 PM »
Don't get me started.
Had FTTN hooked up in April, all very seamless and easy.
Node directly across the road.
10th July for some bizarre reason my account was deleted despite having 15 months left on my Telstra contract.( and still getting monthly accounts)
No one can explain why and cannot get any answers on when we might be reconnected.
I have been keeping a log of time spent on the phone to Telstra currently at just over 20 hours as well as 4 visits to Telstra shops.
Still no idea if and when we might get a phone and internet back
Probably need to move this to daily rant thread

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 08:06:14 PM »
Don't get me started.
Had FTTN hooked up in April, all very seamless and easy.
Node directly across the road.
10th July for some bizarre reason my account was deleted despite having 15 months left on my Telstra contract.( and still getting monthly accounts)
No one can explain why and cannot get any answers on when we might be reconnected.
I have been keeping a log of time spent on the phone to Telstra currently at just over 20 hours as well as 4 visits to Telstra shops.
Still no idea if and when we might get a phone and internet back
Probably need to move this to daily rant thread
https://www.tio.com.au/
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 08:33:47 PM »
3.5 years on FTTP with Harbour ISP: Great, no drop outs that I can remember (that were their fault... turning the boxes off for 4 weeks did cause problems though), no billing mistakes, but had to watch as the plans changed - from when I signed up, to about 18months in, the plans changed; my initial one was deleted, and for the same money I was able to get a faster plan (25/5) for the same money. Took 3 weeks to kick in because I realised part way through the month, so I now check in the last week of the month for any changes. Peak/offpeak were usable times (11am - 11pm = peak, 11pm - 11am = off-peak)

6 months on Fixed Wireless, still with Harbour ISP: Good service from Harbour; reliable, but the speed does suffer between 4pm and 8pm weekdays as everyone comes home and jumps on. I have line of sight to the tower, so that's easy for connection and a nice strong signal to the NBN box. The download speed shows badly on Speedtest for some reason, but runs at a speed much faster than Speedtest reports. I reckon it's probably nearer 80% of what I should be getting, going by the upload value. Paying the same as I paid before.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 11:12:35 PM »
So my Optus modem died.. everything I've read on the net says it was going to die.

So bought a ASUS RT-AC88U...
Highly recommended on Whirlpool for great Wireless range and strength.

Brilliant GUI to setup with lots of options, haven't played with yet, just wanted to make things run for tonight then RTFM.

10 mins from unboxing, to Xboxing, laptop running, mobiles connected, and PC upstairs here on cable all running Ssssssssssssssmmmmmmmmmmmooooooooooooooooootttttttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!  :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline elkay

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 07:19:22 AM »
We have been trying to get connected for over 6 months, 5 visits from a variety of contractors and still no trench.... it needs to be at least 250m long just up our driveway to the house then about 300m long up the road to the connection point.  All too hard for them. So we changed from Telstra to iinet. Have had one appointment no show so far with them.
Most recent booking is for 16th so we wait and see what happens then.  Telstra disconnecting us from phone on 8/9... not like we live miles away from anywhere, just in green wedge in Langwarrin.

Offline richo9923

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 07:39:20 AM »
Apart from the installers not having the correct tools to do the job and using mine, so far so good, I'm with Optus as was with them for 7 years on their cable internet before switching over to NBN, switching has saved me about $80 a month off the bill (no more foxtel as now have fetch TV)and the speed test tells me I've now got a faster connection, but the cable was fast enough to do what I was doing so don't notice the difference to be honest, few teething problems with billing and not sending the fetch tv box out or setting it up with the channel package, however used the online chat facility and ever issue was fixed in one chat, so yeah over all I'm happy with it, just wish it was the same price as what my family pay for theirs over in Europe, but that goes for the mobile phone as well.

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »
I heard a lot of horror stories....several months ago, my provider advised me they were converting me to NBN...same price etc etc....
End July date was advised, new modem sent and arrived 3 weeks prior. Come end July, recvd SMS advising conversion occurring. Recvd call from provider who talked me through switching the modem across, all done in 5 mins. Internet access and phone service came up immediately.
Tested with a file transfer (that I had done same file day prior) and found that transfer speed was over 4 times faster.

Same price, totally painless migration, faster speeds, working straight away and had no issues over the past 2 weeks.  I can't complain.

Mark
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 09:01:27 AM »
So my Optus modem died.. everything I've read on the net says it was going to die.

Brilliant GUI to setup with lots of options, haven't played with yet, just wanted to make things run for tonight then RTFM.

10 mins from unboxing, to Xboxing, laptop running, mobiles connected, and PC upstairs here on cable all running Ssssssssssssssmmmmmmmmmmmooooooooooooooooootttttttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!  :D
I have a Asus DSL-AC68U and love it to bits. Have had it for a couple of years now and bought it when I had a naked dsl service. Came time to convert to fixed wireless just converted a lan port to a wan port, plugged in and changed internet settings and voila. Just worked.
Much goodness to be had.

New provider told me at least 10 times it wouldn't work on a fixed wireless service and I argued black and blue it would. They sent me one (actually they sent two) of their pre-configured modems which are both still unopened in their delivery envelopes..
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 09:08:58 AM »
I have a Asus DSL-AC68U and love it to bits. Have had it for a couple of years now and bought it when I had a naked dsl service. Came time to convert to fixed wireless just converted a lan port to a wan port, plugged in and changed internet settings and voila. Just worked.
Much goodness to be had.

New provider told me at least 10 times it wouldn't work on a fixed wireless service and I argued black and blue it would. They sent me one (actually they sent two) of their pre-configured modems which are both still unopened in their delivery envelopes..

sounds like your provider was getting confused with the RT version of that device (just a router, no modem), rather than the DSL version (which includes a modem)...

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 09:23:44 AM »

So you're in the year 2017 now, was the old 1 pedal powered   ;D ;D
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »
So you're in the year 2017 now, was the old 1 pedal powered   ;D ;D
not really, speeds are still deplorable..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 11:40:26 AM »
Our forced to have NBN  is no better than the ADSL we had here on the NSW / QLD  border actualy it seems a bit slower .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 05:48:24 PM »
A bit faster than our ADSL was and about $30 a month cheaper.
Has worked flawlessly since day 1.
No complaints...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown