Author Topic: Modcon Camper FF1  (Read 3338 times)

Offline gasgaschris

• Sleeping Bag User
Modcon Camper FF1
« on: September 21, 2019, 08:34:10 PM »
About to commit to ordering a new Modcon FF1. Seems like a good bit of kit, I like the build and finish, and we've got a local dealer who seems like a good guy.

Anyone got any horror stories? Anything I should know before I do this?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline silverfox1111

• Tent User
Re: Modcon Camper FF1
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 08:25:40 AM »
Yep, i do!!
Silverfox
Toyota hilux
Modcon ff1(no more)
Jayco swan outback

Offline 6knights

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 08:44:15 AM »
I myself am interested in getting a Modcon  (only the older all Australian built one)  and out of all the stuff that l have read about Modcon l am yet to find anyone who is not happy with theirs. People comment very highly about the product and the owners of the company. 

I don't know where you are but there is this one

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/items/details/2017-modcon-ff1/SSE-AD-6306128/?Cr=0
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:48:24 AM by 6knights »
2006 100 series towing a 2012 modcon HFA  🙂

Offline gasgaschris

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »
Yep, i do!!
Silverfox
Sharing?

Offline gasgaschris

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 08:48:41 AM »
I myself am interested in getting a Modcon  (only the older all Australian built one)  and out of all the stuff that l have read about Modcon l am yet to find anyone who is not happy with theirs. People comment very highly about the product and the owners of the company.
I read about minor faults, but I also read that they get fixed.
I'm expecting minor faults in anything we buy, having a dealer 20 minutes away with a good reputation and a good attitude is a big part of the decision.

Having walked around the Sydney show yesterday, I'm convinced all of the competition is subject to similar potential for faults and QA failure. Some of those things are pretty grim.

Offline RonnieQ

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 09:49:51 AM »
I have an Australian made Imperial FF and am really happy with it.
They are pretty basic but are really well built.
So the only comment would be is there are a couple of second hand Australian  made units on Gumtree and Caravan Sales for circa $20k keep in mind these units would have been well over $40k when new.
I know what I would spend my cash on.
The older Modcons are a brilliant unit.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

{IMG}{IMG}

Offline Knight44

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 10:29:55 AM »
We bought a FF1just before Easter this year, and took it away for a short run. There was one relatively minor problem with the camper, one of the drop down legs wouldn't. Rang the dealer and took it back on the way home and he took the leg off the camper, dissasembled it, corrected the problem and reinstalled it while we waited. Good service.

You mentioned the Sydney show, so I'm guessing the dealer you talking with is the one at Unanderra - where we bought ours.

We've just come back from a trip through QLD/NT and travelled close to 17,000km over some very rough and corrugated roads. Absolutely no problems with the FF1. So easy to set up and pack down (this is my third CT), though we did only use the awning not the annex.

It's more expensive than most other forward folds and doesn't have lots of extras (stereo, hot water etc), but you do get build quality and speed of setup.

Ask if you ha've any specific questions.

Cheers

Offline gasgaschris

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 10:37:47 AM »
We bought a FF1just before Easter this year, and took it away for a short run. There was one relatively minor problem with the camper, one of the drop down legs wouldn't. Rang the dealer and took it back on the way home and he took the leg off the camper, dissasembled it, corrected the problem and reinstalled it while we waited. Good service.

You mentioned the Sydney show, so I'm guessing the dealer you talking with is the one at Unanderra - where we bought ours.

We've just come back from a trip through QLD/NT and travelled close to 17,000km over some very rough and corrugated roads. Absolutely no problems with the FF1. So easy to set up and pack down (this is my third CT), though we did only use the awning not the annex.

It's more expensive than most other forward folds and doesn't have lots of extras (stereo, hot water etc), but you do get build quality and speed of setup.

Ask if you ha've any specific questions.

Cheers
Great feedback.. thanks

Yes.. guy in Unanderra

Offline gasgaschris

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 11:00:27 AM »

I don't know where you are but there is this one

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/items/details/2017-modcon-ff1/SSE-AD-6306128/?Cr=0
We're Wollongong based. I like a drive...

Kinda liking the idea of a new one, though

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 03:11:16 PM »
I can’t fault my modcon FF1
It’s been up and down the east coast numerous times. South as far as Nowra, north as far as Townsville. We are brisbane based and have taken it inland to Roma , Emerald, down to Dubbo. I think we have done at least 10 week long trips including and 2 x 3 week trips to Stradbroke island at Xmas. I have lost count of the number of weekends it’s been away with in the 3ish years we have had it. Only minor fault we had. During a really heavy rain event while parked up, water got into the front tool box, dirt around the seals allowed it to get past. We are a family of 4, the kids love it. On longer trips, now the kids are older (8 & 10) we set up a tent for them to sleep in, but on the weekenders, they still sleep on the couch converted into a double bed.
One other negative is that when using the annex on the kitchen side, with the kitchen out and the pantry/ fridge slide out, you don’t have much spare room for a dinner table etc, but that’s only an issue in very wet weather
Lloyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Knight44

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 03:55:10 PM »
We're Wollongong based. I like a drive...

Kinda liking the idea of a new one, though

I just looked at the photos of that second hand one. The kitchen is the old one without the shelf extension and the fridge/pantry is now reversed - see the FF1 website to see what I mean. The rear storage for the spare wheels is different. Nothing else jumps out.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 03:57:51 PM by Knight44 »

Offline silverfox1111

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 05:03:32 PM »
Sharing?

I'll pm you.
There was numerous faults & the final straw was worn out suspension bushes that were changed at 13000k (of which less than 3000km was on dirt roads). Laughingly, the replacement bushes were undersized for the suspension arms & needed to be sikaflexed in to stop them flopping about.
Silverfox
Toyota hilux
Modcon ff1(no more)
Jayco swan outback