Author Topic: How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.  (Read 310816 times)

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.
« Reply #2400 on: August 10, 2021, 09:31:29 PM »
Bottom line is we need to learn to live with it, sooner the better.    How to do that is the hard bit.  A look at how other Countries have done and go from there.

We have done it up here. Life is not quite back to normal, but close. Loads of people infected, a lot fewer dying from it... but still some.

However, I can't really recommend taking the route we took.
The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2401 on: August 10, 2021, 09:57:58 PM »
All depends which way you look at it from. 

The Least Deaths
The Least Infections
The Least Lockdowns
The Least Economical Impact
The Least Lifestyle Impacts
etc etc

Still waiting for an answer really as to who you think was the gold standard. Every country is suffering through this. Even the ones who did well early. No good answers.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 06:50:27 AM by plusnq »

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #2402 on: August 11, 2021, 05:22:08 AM »
North Korea ;D
Perfect record of no infections, no deaths, no impact on their economy (haven’t got one >:D), lifestyle unchanged, lockdowns are part of life, who needs Covid  :police: All achieved through total isolation and border controls (nothing has changed) :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 05:25:53 AM by bmwfreak »
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2403 on: August 11, 2021, 09:29:09 AM »
North Korea ;D
Perfect record of no infections, no deaths, no impact on their economy (haven’t got one >:D), lifestyle unchanged, lockdowns are part of life, who needs Covid  :police: All achieved through total isolation and border controls (nothing has changed) :D

And we could have achieved the same thing…….if we had “proper” border controls.
Negative covid test BEFORE getting on a plane to come here.
Flight crew, the same thing.
Anyone testing positive during their 14 day isolation gets another 14 days..
People testing positive in the community are told to go home and isolate…..wrong….hook them and put them in a hotel….they can’t be trusted to isolate at home.

All a bit too late now.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2404 on: August 11, 2021, 11:23:53 AM »
 Quote : " All a bit too late now "

Not realy Gronkman.
  Depends how confident and tough you are prepared to be and make a decission  to put your political carreer and  the states financial  concerns to the acid test and put the Bad Genie back in the bottle to reset and start with a more effective option for a better future .. ..
Put it to the punters involved / show them its the only or best sollution,  get them onboard and go for it . Be upfront and open all the way and explain everything as to why and how its needed ..
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 11:30:22 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2405 on: August 11, 2021, 12:01:25 PM »
Mrs Spada has been trying to get the vaccine since June. Registered online and is in the que.
Hears all the PR blurb about the new mega vax hub being set up in Brisbane and tries to register for that, but the system wont allow it. Rings the covid hotline to enquire and gets told that she cant register as she is already registered on the waiting list. Then gets told that because she is not an essential worker, and because of her age, they will not be contacting her until October to make a booking, and then there will still be a lead time after that.
I swear, if another talking head on the telly starts yapping on about not enough people getting vaccinated....... I'm gunna need a replacement TV.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline jfella

• Tent User
« Reply #2406 on: August 11, 2021, 01:45:01 PM »
Mrs Spada has been trying to get the vaccine since June. Registered online and is in the que.
Hears all the PR blurb about the new mega vax hub being set up in Brisbane and tries to register for that, but the system wont allow it. Rings the covid hotline to enquire and gets told that she cant register as she is already registered on the waiting list. Then gets told that because she is not an essential worker, and because of her age, they will not be contacting her until October to make a booking, and then there will still be a lead time after that.
I swear, if another talking head on the telly starts yapping on about not enough people getting vaccinated....... I'm gunna need a replacement TV.

Is that wait list for Pfizer or Astrazeneca?

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2407 on: August 11, 2021, 02:56:36 PM »
it'll never go away.... to look at ****in real estate... line him up against a wall.

Sydney man who travelled to Byron to be charged with public health order breach
By Fergus Hunter

A Sydney man who triggered a snap lockdown in Byron Bay after travelling to the area while infected with COVID-19 will be charged with breaching public health orders.

Zoran Radovanovic, 52, who is now being treated in Lismore Base Hospital, is believed to have travelled to the area to look at real estate, potentially using an exemption contained in NSW COVID-19 restrictions
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2408 on: August 11, 2021, 02:57:47 PM »
Surely you can get it done quicker at a your Drs? I only had a one week wait when my appointment was made and that's because I'm away in a trucknall week.

Foo

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2409 on: August 11, 2021, 03:14:29 PM »
I was in exactly the same situation as Mrs Spada.
Our youthfulness is working against us…. ;)

I signed up ages ago on the QLD gov website and got told to join the queue, we’ll get in touch sometime around October, after all the boomers are taken care of. We’ll let you know when there’s some left over vaccinations for you and all the other kids to fight over.

Then out of the blue, I got a message early last week to say there are suddenly all of these availabilities near me.
Managed to get an appointment in Nambour this Friday.
I have no idea if it’s Pfizer or Astra, the booking site doesn’t actually say. But I’m just glad to have the chance to get anything at this point.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2410 on: August 11, 2021, 03:29:48 PM »
Is that wait list for Pfizer or Astrazeneca?

Phizer.
About 3 weeks for astra from a local'ish GP, but for "reasons" astra is not recommended for mrs Spada.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 03:33:05 PM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2411 on: August 11, 2021, 03:37:32 PM »
I have no idea if it’s Pfizer or Astra, the booking site doesn’t actually say. But I’m just glad to have the chance to get anything at this point.

If you are worried about the blood clot issue, a recent study sponsored by the European Medicines Agency, the EU regulator, concluded that the incidence of blood clots is similar for both AZ and Pfizer vaccines. Incidence of blood clots with covid is eight times greater than from the vaccine.

https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/07/29/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-blood-clot-risk-similar-to-pfizer-spanish-study-finds

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2412 on: August 11, 2021, 03:43:04 PM »
I’m not that worried personally, but I’m 99% sure it will be Pfizer as the QLD Gov is still rejected the federal government’s latest stance on people under 60 getting astra.

Not sure if Scott is currently flipping or flopping this week, but our palletjack is standing firm on her position with that one.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2413 on: August 11, 2021, 03:50:18 PM »
People testing positive in the community are told to go home and isolate…..wrong….hook them and put them in a hotel….they can’t be trusted to isolate at home.

Not that easy to do this. There was a bit of a scare over the weekend and were looking to potentially house approx 70 people depending on confirmed result. Reasonably remote and NSW Health had no solution and the only solution close declined to assist. Even had bus transport initially agree to assist with transport but after public backlash withdraw the offer of assistance.

Can fully understand the decisions but highlighted that there are not many choices when push comes to shove

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #2414 on: August 11, 2021, 04:42:30 PM »
I was in exactly the same situation as Mrs Spada.
Our youthfulness is working against us…. ;)

I signed up ages ago on the QLD gov website and got told to join the queue, we’ll get in touch sometime around October, after all the boomers are taken care of. We’ll let you know when there’s some left over vaccinations for you and all the other kids to fight over.

Then out of the blue, I got a message early last week to say there are suddenly all of these availabilities near me.
Managed to get an appointment in Nambour this Friday.

This 'Old Fart' had his 2nd AZ today. There's absolutely nothing to worry a
                                                                                                          b
                                                                                                           o
                                                                                                            u
                                                                                                              t.                                                             
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #2415 on: August 11, 2021, 05:00:06 PM »
Looks like we are all in for the long haul.

"The Northern Territory government is enacting plans to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic for the next five years in recognition the virus will continue to impact society into the future."

"Marylouise McLaws, an epidemiologist at the University of NSW and an advisor to the World Health Organization, said it was "sensible" for governments to implement long-term plans because international vaccination rates remained relatively low.

"Until we get at least 70 per cent of the world population vaccinated, this virus will continue to circulate and mutate," Professor McLaws said."

Be interesting to know that if it mutates, do you have to get further jabs to combat it.

Tough times ahead, regretfully.

Mark
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 05:03:44 PM by McGirr »
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2416 on: August 11, 2021, 05:36:50 PM »
The world  better hope  Delta dosent mutate and become Vax resistant, that would reset the vax  clock back to zero for  vax protection . and render all the previous Vax injected  partial protections next to useless ...  Then what do the governments do ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2417 on: August 11, 2021, 07:39:09 PM »
The world  better hope  Delta dosent mutate and become Vax resistant, that would reset the vax  clock back to zero for  vax protection . and render all the previous Vax injected  partial protections next to useless ...  Then what do the governments do ..

Develop another vaccine. It’s the only way.

Too many are thinking this thing will be around for eternity, but as history shows, it will die out in X yrs.
Could be another 3 or 4, but 6mths after it’s gone, society will go back to exactly like it was before it all happened….just like after devastating floods or bushfires.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2418 on: August 11, 2021, 08:18:39 PM »

Be interesting to know that if it mutates, do you have to get further jabs to combat it.

It looks like booster shots for over 50s are likely here starting October. There was some talk of the vaccine, presumably AZ, being tweaked to be more effective against the latest variants and combined with a flu jab.

Offline jfella

• Tent User
« Reply #2419 on: August 11, 2021, 09:47:20 PM »
Phizer.
About 3 weeks for astra from a local'ish GP, but for "reasons" astra is not recommended for mrs Spada.
To give a different perspective I am also in BNE and signed up to the QLD health page in Jun, had my first jab on 29/6 and second last week. I am 45 if that makes a difference.

I think when they say there is heaps of vaccines because there is heaps of AZ but people are holding out for something different.  Nothing wrong with that but need to a accept that there are options available now.

Personally I think we are really lucky in Oz to have not had much COVID, and while geography obviously helps, I think all governments at levels have done a great job. Sure, the ATAGI advice wasn’t well communicated but I think people will under their position looking back.

All the best all and look after yourselves,

Cheers!
Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2420 on: August 11, 2021, 11:22:48 PM »
Still waiting for an answer really as to who you think was the gold standard. Every country is suffering through this. Even the ones who did well early. No good answers.

Exactly

Yet everyone seems happy to blame those trying to do what they think is the right thing to keep us all protected
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #2421 on: August 12, 2021, 07:42:54 AM »
I’m not that worried personally, but I’m 99% sure it will be Pfizer as the QLD Gov is still rejected the federal government’s latest stance on people under 60 getting astra.

You can still get it if you ask for it.  I'm in QLD, am 44, and I got the Az shot.

When I rocked up at the vaccination place I was asked which one I wanted, I said I didn't care so I got the AstraZ shot as there was only 4 people in that queue.  There was over a hundred in the pfizer one and I couldn't be bothered waiting.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2422 on: August 12, 2021, 08:27:52 AM »
You can still get it if you ask for it.  I'm in QLD, am 44, and I got the Az shot.

When I rocked up at the vaccination place I was asked which one I wanted, I said I didn't care so I got the AstraZ shot as there was only 4 people in that queue.  There was over a hundred in the pfizer one and I couldn't be bothered waiting.

Yeh, funny isn’t it…..more chance of one of those people waiting in line getting stung by a bee and dying from it. !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2423 on: August 12, 2021, 09:52:06 AM »
The state has recorded 21 cases of COVID-19 in the community.

Cant believe "Olympians" are complaining about having to quarantine when they return?? Are they that stupid they didnt expect it?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 09:55:40 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2424 on: August 12, 2021, 10:44:45 AM »

And there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about the supposed heart problems that have been happening from some Pfizer vaccinations. Is it "let's not talk about that"?