Author Topic: Chickens at home  (Read 68432 times)

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Chickens at home
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2016, 05:27:33 PM »
Mine are all finally laying. 2 small 2 medium and 2 larger eggs is the maximum we get a day. On average it is about 4-5 a day
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2016, 08:50:43 PM »
My missus has diversified into ducks- great tasting and the eggs are good too. We have around 11 chooks, 3 ducks , 4 ducklings and 12 eggs currently being sat on. The drake gives the ducks a fair hammering, casanova he aint.
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2016, 10:33:59 AM »
We lost a chook the other month, just got sick one day and was not going to recover so I fixed her up. Went and got another two Isa Browns and they have fitted right in

The chooks used to put themselves to bed every night but of late they have been roosting outside in the open, when its going to rain I put them away and luckily the local fox's have not visited. Still getting a great number of eggs and the friends and neighbours are happy with a few now and then

GG

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2016, 09:30:01 PM »
My 6 have slowed down and only getting 3 a day. Small medium and large. The middle one is the supermarket size.
The Silkies keep going clucky every month or so. So it goes in solitary for a few days. A 1 x 1.5m cage with only a perch and nowhere to next. 2 days and they are cured. Seems a bit cruel but gets the quickest result which is better for their health. I did try all the other methods.

One of the Isa Browns learnt how to peck a small hole in the eggs and suck out the contents. She didn't eat the shell and left only a small hole. We were losing one or two a day. Tried golf balls as a decoy and a sloping next box so the eggs rolled out of each. Once I figured out who it was I suggested a roast dinner but the kids wouldn't let me. So a few weeks in solitary didn't work. A last chance effort was to file a bit of the beak to get rid of the sharp point.  Luckily this worked.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2016, 09:39:04 PM »
my 10 chooks and one duck have been on strike for about 6 weeks... Actually I think a couple are past it anyway, but I'm not allowed to lop off their heads. Might just leave the axe leaning up against the chook pen for a couple of days though  >:D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Woore

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2016, 09:45:20 PM »
Worth giving these girls a hand if you can, I'm getting a couple soon to add to my 7 girls, theyre still layers too, no doubt they need a break!

http://greendean.com.au/the-kfc-project/

scrapsD40

« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »
my 10 chooks and one duck have been on strike for about 6 weeks... Actually I think a couple are past it anyway, but I'm not allowed to lop off their heads. Might just leave the axe leaning up against the chook pen for a couple of days though  >:D
Shoot one, then watch how quickly the rest start laying.

Offline jayjay

• Tent User
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2016, 04:48:52 AM »

Menopausal/ geriatric  chooks are a problem- especially in the suburbs. Don't know about anyone else, but I am not particularly interested in feeding geriatric chooks that don't provide a return on investment for the feed I pay for! Just out of interest, how do others in the suburbs, dispose/despatch of chooks that have past their use-by date?
Mitsubishi Challenger
Rearfold Safari Trackabout

scrapsD40

Chickens at home
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2016, 06:32:11 AM »
Menopausal/ geriatric  chooks are a problem- especially in the suburbs. Don't know about anyone else, but I am not particularly interested in feeding geriatric chooks that don't provide a return on investment for the feed I pay for! Just out of interest, how do others in the suburbs, dispose/despatch of chooks that have past their use-by date?
Send them to Wed arvo bingo! I've seen amazing results.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:44:19 AM by scrapsD40 »

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2016, 08:58:47 AM »
Send them to Wed arvo bingo! I've seen amazing results.
Haha, when I was a kid, my old man used to do that. He'd get us to knock off their heads, pluck and clean them, then he'd take them to the pub on a saturday morning and raffle them off. But he never went to the same pub again, too soon after a raffle.  ;D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2016, 12:43:10 PM »

Natural death or my kids would never let me forget..  I let ours out to free range, so they perform pest control. Keeps the slugs and snails down, and fertilise the garden, so I see that as return on investment.
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Online Fox67

• Swag User
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2016, 08:57:38 PM »
We haven't had an egg from our 5 chooks for two weeks now, very frustrating. They are about 18 months old and seem to be going through a heavy malt stage, feathers grow back fairly quickly though.
2023 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid
2019 Landcruiser 200 VX TTD
Tent and some camping gear

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2016, 09:35:08 PM »
We haven't had an egg from our 5 chooks for two weeks now, very frustrating. They are about 18 months old and seem to be going through a heavy malt stage, feathers grow back fairly quickly though.

No eggs whilst they're molting is normal. Just feed them decent food. All their energy is going into making new feathers
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:36:42 PM by tk421 »
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2016, 07:28:22 AM »
I forgot to add the photo the other day.
The middle egg is the supermarket size.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2016, 07:18:32 PM »
Scratch 1 chicken. Mr fox was hungry and one of the chickens decided that the coup was too full at night so she decided to roost outside the fence. Bad choice

All others are doing well and have dealt with the trauma well. So did the kids

GG

Offline SambOz

• Tent User
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2016, 08:11:21 AM »
We have get various chooks over the years. Best are Isa Browns, very quiet and good layers but very important is not to keep them over 2, very maximum 3 laying seasons - our experience.

Reasons - they drop off laying (numbers of eggs) after first season and by third are getting egg bound etc etc.
You feed as much feed($) to a poor layer as a good one, might as well feed a good layer.

Bantams will go clucky every five minutes, we didn't keep them unless a breeding program was on the cards and had a rooster.

Best eggs ever  ;D

edit..meant to add, if your chooks are laying all around the place it will be because the nesting boxs aren't suitable, IME they like darker well enclosed protected nesting boxs.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 08:13:17 AM by SambOz »

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2016, 12:27:54 PM »
Mate has managed to get all of his kids/family involved in chook shows... some have done very well over the years ($$$ as prizes, and the birds are worth a bit)

Some of his families birds:

The following users thanked this post: SambOz

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2016, 01:36:23 PM »
Chooks look great when covered in gravy....and roast spuds...... >:D >:D
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)
The following users thanked this post: SambOz, Troopy_03

Offline SambOz

• Tent User
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2016, 03:39:24 PM »
Nice chooks Ed, who can argue tracker.......... ;D

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2016, 05:58:31 AM »
Bloody foxes

Now dont need anyone to look after the chickens while we are away over christmas. Buggers didnt go away the other night and we lost all 4 in one night. For 18 months we have had no problems, looks like a new fox family has moved into our area. Might be time to get the 22 down from up home

Next job when we get home is to build a new pen fully enclosed and stock with a new flock.

GG

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2016, 06:17:52 AM »
Bugger, pretty upsetting for the kids. Sounds like time for the 'Harfa Sniper' to come out to play.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2016, 08:00:11 AM »
Fox pups are out of the dens in the last month or so,

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2017, 06:02:03 PM »
Took the plunge today and went and picked up 4 new chooks. Will get them used to the Taj for sleeping quaters for the next week prior to release into the daytime larger run.

We must of got a good one because after 3 hours of being in its new home we get our first egg.

GG

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2017, 06:17:35 PM »
Not having a good run with our chooks. The only one that was laying decided to have a long rest and it was a really friendly chook.

We now have one Isa Brown and a couple of marems

One of the marems is huge. Might have to grab a couple more Isas to equal out the pecking order

GG

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2017, 06:25:41 PM »
Not having a good run with our chooks.

GG