Author Topic: Why would anyone buy a manual?  (Read 22811 times)

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
Re: Why would anyone buy a manual?
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
Autos at Bathurst? Doubt it.
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Turbojohn

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2012, 01:26:01 PM »
Because autos are like hens teeth in  a gq td42 and one probably wouldn't last too long towing the camper running 24psi boost without some mods and autos are for girls :cheers:

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2012, 04:35:14 PM »
i like my manual.....driving an auto is like driving a dodgem car
My work truck is a 12 speed auto...i feel a bit lazy when i driving it.. ;D

Offline ewwreckers

• Tent User
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2012, 04:44:50 PM »
Because the jack cost us $100 lol
Most of our cars lately have been manuals, joys of being wreckers/panel beaters I get given whatever to drive lol
Cheers
Vanessa

$150 Jackaroo + $1600 CT = One helluva happy family!

"Got my toes in the water,
ass in the sand,
not a worry in the world,
a cold beer in my hand,
Life is good today, life is good today"

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2012, 07:02:23 PM »
Love my manual tranny, feels like I'm involved in the whole driving process. Plus, with some of my previous trucks the need to roll start was mandatory ! :cup:

:cheers:

Discoteddy .
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.

Offline jeeps

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • The Aussie Storm Shop
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2012, 02:58:47 AM »
I just like to rev mine sometimes. Here's a video:

http://s421.photobucket.com/albums/pp300/jeeps_photo/?action=view&current=Exhaust01.mp4 Small | Large

It gurgles and splutters so so sweet under engine braking/de-compression. I don't hardly ever use the brake pedal if i can help it... just engine brake everywhere because it sounds so nice. I'm still running the factory brake pads 150,000klm later... It ain't no V8 but i love the manual in my jeep for these reasons.

cheers
www.aussiestormshop.com.au | www.aussieberkeyshop.com.au
Offroad Camper Trailer with an Austrack top & Drifta kitchen, mostly assembled by me :)

Offline jr

• Tent User
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2012, 09:12:20 AM »
I owned 5 GU Patrols, one was Auto, it overheated in hard going, computer used to go into limp mode, occasionally locked in position when changing in/out 4wd and also did lock into park a few times which had to be forced out - none of which is good for a work vehicle you rely on.
Also had ~1T less towing capacity than manual type as does current Patrol.
Nissan decided TD42ti only came in manual - suits me fine.

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2012, 09:34:46 AM »
We are looking at getting a TD 80 Series, our options are limited with an Auto and as a daily driver it will do trips to the train station and back so not really an issue.

I also like driving manual and never had a problem with the manual around town, mind you that was in a small sedan. I drive my mates manual 80 series when in Perth and don't have an issue with that one either.

Would auto be better for what we want to do? Almost certainly and if we get the chance we will go auto, but manual is not a bad compromise to stick with an 80 series in my opinion.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline ImNotLost

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »
Personal preference is all there is to it these days, I reckon.  I think you still get a bit better economy in a well driven manual.

I much prefer a manual in bumper to bumper freeway peak hour crawl - I have six speeds that I can use without any pedals.  The car will idle in any gear up to 40km/h.  I annoy the hell out of the 'run and stop' people, as I just keep the car idling along, and catch up to them just as they pull away again.  Driving an auto in these circumstances requires you to always be on the throttle.

I expect that a CVT with a modern turbo diesel would be an absolute rocket ship, it could keep the revs at 2k and just accelerate all the way.

I do wish you could make the choice for any model of car, it really peeves me that once you tick the 'luxury' accessories with the car, that the manufacturer unticks the manual option.

I don't like the way that an auto won't let you amble along in a higher gear on a flat road getting good economy.  They keep you in a lower gear with higher revs, or don't lock up the torque converter, so there is more energy lost.
Richard

2011 GIC Extreme Ranger with 18ft tent - quite ridiculous in size really
2011 Pathfinder ST-L Manual (Work car) with airlift 1000 bags in the back
2006 Astra Diesel (Wife's car) - Rocket ship

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2013, 11:44:31 AM »
Just to expand on my choices

My Mini clubman with worked engine was a manual and was a joy to drive because of this

Had a Mini K auto, urge

2.4 petrol Hilux manual was boring

Sierra, manual was great fun and needed to be manual to utilise the high revving engine. Once I installed 100:1 gearing an auto would have been a much better choice for extreme offroad work, more control

V8 Valiant with auto, perfect combo, lazy V8 with heaps of torque, perfect cruising car

4.2 non turbo diesel GU manual which is needed to ensure I'm always in the power band

3.6 Jackaroo petrol auto. Nice match of engine and box, bit thirsty, but nice civilized family 4wd

So I guess it's horses for courses for me

Am looking for a Jack at the moment.  Petrol + Auto seem to be prevalent.
The only down side seems to be the thirstyness, but not a real problem for the little city driving it would do.
Could also 'dual fuel' it I guess, if I decide to use it as my daily commuter...
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!