Author Topic: Is it just me, or is everyone upgrading to vans?  (Read 17714 times)

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
Re: Is it just me, or is everyone upgrading to vans?
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2018, 12:38:09 PM »
Here is my classification for Campers/Caravans

Camper Trailer - Soft floor
  • Canvas walls and roof,
  • Soft floor that folds out onto the ground
  • Can be side fold or rear fold
  • Usually outside kitchen (although can also be inclosed)

Camper Trailer - Hard floor
  • Canvas walls and roof
  • Camper folds out with a hard floor.
  • Can be Forward, Rear or side fold.
  • Usually outside kitchen (although can be enclosed)

Camper Vans
  • Hard roof, canvas walls
  • Inside kitchen
  • Often with slide out beds

Caravans
  • Hard walls hard roof (may have pop up roof section but sides are predominatly hard)
  • Inside Kitchen

Hybrids
Generally a hybrid of the above categories but usually
  • Has a hard roof,
  • Has an outside kitchen
  • Has smaller dimensions than a caravan for better offroad ability.

Teardrops
  • Hard walls and roof but not high enough to stand up in
  • A packed footprint not much larger than the bed
  • Traditionally shaped like a teardrop
  • Has an outside kitchen (can be in the rear or slide out from the side.)

Could probably do with further clarification but it's a start.

Soft floors are often classed as "Tent Trailers".
My '02 Goldstream Wing 1 is factory labelled (and registered) as a "Camper Trailer".

My impression of a "Camper Van" is a Britz Mercedes self drive set up.

I consider this below as an "Hybrid" although the maker states "Pop Top" ??? ;D

http://spinifexcaravans.com.au/listings/atomix/
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2018, 01:09:33 PM »
My '02 Goldstream Wing 1 is factory labelled (and registered) as a "Camper Trailer".

I don't think I have ever heard soft floors classifies as "tent trailers" outside of insurance policies so maybe "often" is a bit of a stretch, but yes, there is no set classification so it is a little subjective.
In regards to the Briz Mercedes, the bigger ones I would refer to as motorhomes, but smaller Hiace style ones I would also consider a campervan, just a different one compared to Jayco/Goldtream versions, ie one is a van that has been converted for camping so it's a campervan the other is a cross between a camper trailer and a caravan, hence also a campervan but the meaning of the "van" bit differs.   

And yes, that Spinifex I would consider a hybrid.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2018, 01:14:56 PM »

The definitions are obviously pretty arbitrary, and what is a caravan to one person will be a hybrid, or a camper to someone else.
I'd also consider (based on MY classification) that spinifex to technically be a hybrid due to not having any kitchen stuff inside, but other than that, it is a pop-top caravan. I'd reckon calling it either is reasonable.

My hybrid (National Hermit) is registered and insured as a caravan.

My soft floor (Outback Sturt) is registered as a trailer
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live for today, you may not be here tomorrow.
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2018, 07:41:35 AM »
We started with a small canvas tent when we had no kids.

Daughter came along and we purchased a Jayco Swan to do half a lap. Ordered new and kept it for a year and a half. Sold it to put the money into a new house after our lap. Spent 138 nights in this one and lost $2000 at resale.

Went back to a canvas cabin tent and tradesmans trailer (to carry all the Shit in) and used that until after our son was born.

Wife went back to work and so we ordered another Swan. We had that one for nearly four years. Spent 133 nights in that one and lost $3000 at resale.

Then we purchased the Prado to pull a full size van. Realised we could go anywhere with the Prado and decided to get a soft floor, Lifestyle Extenda Elite. Had that for seven years before selling it. Spent 242 nights in this one and lost 50% at resale.

The holidays we enjoy are touring holidays where you are moving frequently and we got sick of the big set up and more so the pack up, combined with the fact the daughter is now 18 and doesn't come away much anymore.

Now we have an RV Vista Crossover XL and love it. Stop at camp and set up so bloody quick, same for pack up and we now have a few more comforts we didn't have with the camper trailer. Cape York next year, the planning has already begun.

Our camping styles change depending on our circumstances at the time. We are planning on keeping the Vista until we near retirement age and then buying a full size van for our travels.
2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2019, 09:18:44 AM »
After another emotional set up in the rain, we have decided to bite the bullet and take a massive loss on our camper (2015 Lifestyle Elite Walkthrough). For our own sanity, we are selling our $19,500 camper now for $9,500. After watching other families roll up with their hybrids/vans and get on the cans within 20mins of arriving and I'm still setting up the main tent covered in sweat, we both looked at each other and we both said "fk this".....

So now the camper is up for sale, it'll be hard to sell as nobody wants a soft floor these days. We will be upgrading to a pop top type van with the single beds and a single bed/couch t the other end. We have a budget of around $20k. That'll get us something built in late 90's early 2000's.

Normal mods will be Spring over, piss the 3 way fridge off and replace with a good upright 12v fridge. Add a couple of AGM batteries with solar and give it a good clean.

We don't venture off road with it, the spring over is so it won't drag its arse in the drive ways and speed bumps.

Would live a Recon or Ultra, but the dollars won't stretch that far. Anyone want a soft floor camper?

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2019, 09:37:08 AM »
After another emotional set up in the rain, we have decided to bite the bullet and take a massive loss on our camper (2015 Lifestyle Elite Walkthrough). For our own sanity, we are selling our $19,500 camper now for $9,500.
You mean you'll try and get 9500...  :'( :'(

but have been in your shoes watching others in caravans pull up, cordless drill onto 2 legs, and they were in.. we didnt have the dust cover off yet.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2019, 10:09:05 AM »
I sold my lifestyle 2005 trailer a few months ago.

My advice is take time with the ad, fresh pics or the trailer setup properly. Clean it up, amazing what a can of gloss kill rust will do to the look of the finish :)

Throw in as much stuff into the sale as possible. Tables, chairs, storage, tarps, whatever you wont need in your new setup. I ended up getting $7500 for mine (asking price), sold it in 3 weeks. TBH however, I am still surprised it is not still sitting in my garage. I feel / know I was VERY lucky that the right person came along at the right time. Advertised on Myswag and Gumtree only. Sold via a free ad on gumtree

Cheers

Justin

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2019, 10:39:48 AM »
I took a $7K loss on my Ezytrail. Did a bit of paint and other work on it and replaced a few poles and so on. Sold on Gumtree in 8 hours. Good presentation, keen pricing location and good luck are the keys.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2019, 10:47:32 AM »
Hi,
    In our 20s it was a motorbike and a hike tent.

In our 30s kids meant a car, bigger tent meant a trailer. One very wet pack up with a 12x12, bikes etc took the shine off that.

In our 40,  bigger kids meant a bigger car, it would tow a van and have room for kids own tents. We hired vans for a few years.

In our 50s the kids were more independent and we had access  to Dad's motor home and the kids could camp with us, but independently.
In our 60s we inherited the motor home and the kids left home. Now we had access to more places to stop around the State if we wanted.

Now in our 70s we have the slide on camper, definitely only room for 2 but often camp with the kids who caravan and tent totally independently. 
Last father's day present from the kids was a pork spit roast and veges served round the camp fire in the Central Highlands.
 We were rather chuffed with that.
Life is a journey, make the most of it.
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:59:15 AM by austastar »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2019, 10:59:03 AM »
Quote from: austastar
In our 20s it was a motorbike and a hike tent.
I still miss this simple setup going to rallys! Considering it again at moment.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2019, 12:30:26 PM »
I still miss this simple setup going to rallys! Considering it again at moment.

Ahhh, the memories...........wallet for grog and a fartsack for sleeping was all that was needed.

My last rally would have been a Sapphire rally at Warrialde, circa "97ish?
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2019, 01:16:20 PM »
Ahhh, the memories...........wallet for grog and a fartsack for sleeping was all that was needed.

Think the Long Flat, or one out Blue Mountains which I cant remember, but the ex was 8mths preggas at the time LOL!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

KingBilly

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2019, 02:59:45 PM »

I think I would have been at that one.  Ice on the tent the next morning.

KB

Offline Banjo16

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The road less travelled
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2019, 07:39:01 PM »
Well I'll  put my hand up like a lot of others, various tents & then a rear fold hard floor camper trailer.

We also bit the bullet after being over set up times & got a Jayco OB 15.48, love the fact that beer o'clock is now much quicker. Went to Fraser & had a great time.
Cheers,
Don

PB Challenger
Jayco Starcraft OB

Offline Banjo16

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The road less travelled
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2019, 07:42:22 PM »
Forgot this.
Cheers,
Don

PB Challenger
Jayco Starcraft OB

Offline Moxley

• Tent User
Is it just me, or is everyone upgrading to vans?
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2019, 08:25:32 PM »
Forgot this.

Yeah, why not. But, I love travelling along and getting to places faster and being able to do a u-ie with my camper compared to caravaners.

That said, thinking about buying an old van, but also thinking about buying just a swag.

All three would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2019, 08:40:16 PM »
You mean you'll try and get 9500...  :'( :'(

but have been in your shoes watching others in caravans pull up, cordless drill onto 2 legs, and they were in.. we didnt have the dust cover off yet.

Yep, hearing ya. I kmow I'm not going to get my asking price, but I have to start somewhere.

With a bad back and couldn't be fkd with poles and ropes these days, the van is much more attractive now.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2019, 09:43:20 PM »
Yep, hearing ya. I kmow I'm not going to get my asking price, but I have to start somewhere.

With a bad back and couldn't be fkd with poles and ropes these days, the van is much more attractive now.
agree 100000%
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Travelling with Shirley the van!
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2019, 08:43:26 AM »
'Upgraded' yes lol - missus got sick of packing/unpacking the soft floor and it really wasn't feasible for a quick overnighter somewhere. Plus getting older and the thought of climbing over each other to go out for a loo break is no longer really that enticing. Not being flush with funds, scored an old van for $200 (highway robbery but I wasn't going to argue with their price!) have spent a couple of grand getting it ready for us (new bedroom, wiring, electric brakes on new axle etc.) and now to use it. Much easier for an overnighter - 10 mins max to set up including toilet tent.
We've swapped from the camper to a van yay! :)

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2019, 09:35:26 AM »
Think the Long Flat, or one out Blue Mountains which I cant remember, but the ex was 8mths preggas at the time LOL!
Long Flat was a yearly thing for us in the 80's. Newnes rally also. 3 man tent occy strapped to the gearsack rack, a frying pan and a couple of bottles of Stones. What more could you want. Then kids came along lol
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2019, 11:13:17 AM »

Almost find it impossible to go back to forward fold camper now after buying an off road van.....
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2019, 01:27:28 PM »
Quote from: noel
Long Flat was a yearly thing for us in the 80's. Newnes rally also. 3 man tent occy strapped to the gearsack rack, a frying pan and a couple of bottles of Stones. What more could you want. Then kids came along lol
Familiar story  :'( :'( :'( :'(
but it is again moving forward in my mind... something like a GS would be nice for a bit of touring. Or
Wazza's DR

or ...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:45:13 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2019, 02:33:20 PM »
I think one of the big changes is the new(?) turbo diesels that can pull bigger vans and still be reasonably comfortable and economical.  This has changed what a lot of grey nomads are willing to pull hence the increase in size of vans.

To me the big divide is really whether you want to be able to go off road and over the corrugated dirt roads that make up much of northern Australia.  Hybrids came about because enough people with money insisted on toughness ease and comfort.

The US is an interesting market where what they call average size is huge, and everything comes with aircon, showers and toilets.  Then there are teardrops (some that come with aircon) 

We will probably see our caravans increasing in size as our tow vehicles get bigger.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2019, 04:17:00 PM »
We used to use a soft floor camper trailer, and even used it for overnight stays on multi week trips. Wasn't too bad to setup, used to take the mrs 15mins to set it all up, for an over nighter, by herself. Took a bit longer to pack the next morning though, probably 20 to 30 mins. But we eventually decided to get a smaller pop top van, for simple ease of use for short stops, apparently LOL.

I do miss being able to take the camper along some goat track behind the Troopy. No way you can do that with a van.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2019, 04:27:30 PM »
To me the ability to go outback is essential, its the only way to go some places and lets us get away from crowds.  I can't see that changing, so if the Tvan gets to difficult to use I'll be getting a hybrid.