Author Topic: winter softshell jacket recommendation  (Read 3347 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
winter softshell jacket recommendation
« on: June 05, 2017, 12:54:56 PM »
hi all,

just looking at getting a 'softshell' type jacket for winter here in the tropics...

nothing too heavy, no hood, full zip in the front, waterproofing not required...

i like the look of this one:

http://www.kathmandu.com.au/mens/clothing/jackets-and-vests/karamea-mens-jacket.html

anyone have any other recommendations?  happy to pay a decent amount, as i tend to keep my coats for a long time...

i am looking at these as we don't have a ridiculous winter up here in north qld (normally)... this should take the chill off, but not be too heavy...

thoughts appreciated.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: winter softshell jacket recommendation
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 01:06:45 PM »
North Face from Catch of the day
https://www.catch.com.au/search?query=northface+jacket&sort=0&selected_first=1&gender%5B%5D=Men

thanks for the link...

most of them appear to be not a full zip... or they have a hood...

this one looks OK...

https://www.catch.com.au/product/salomon-men-s-discovery-full-zip-midlayer-big-blue-x-410852/?st=8

never heard of the brand... probably need an XXL, based on the pic... :)

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 01:40:08 PM »
I don't go past merino these days. Light merino t-shirt, and I have a Mountain designs zip up merino jacket - very thin but warm. They are comfortable over a wider temperature range than polyprop which allows you to overheat. Also, the jacket you linked isn't really a softshell so you might get confused when shopping. Softshell is technically a partially waterproof wind stopper which would go over the one you linked.

Like this

http://www.mountaindesigns.com/store/products/BH21536/bh-ghlas-softshell-jkt-m
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 01:50:01 PM by GBC »

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 02:02:40 PM »
I don't go past merino these days. Light merino t-shirt, and I have a Mountain designs zip up merino jacket - very thin but warm. They are comfortable over a wider temperature range than polyprop which allows you to overheat. Also, the jacket you linked isn't really a softshell so you might get confused when shopping. Softshell is technically a partially waterproof wind stopper which would go over the one you linked.

Like this

http://www.mountaindesigns.com/store/products/BH21536/bh-ghlas-softshell-jkt-m

thanks for the link...

i guess i mean softshell-style... :)

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 02:05:20 PM »
I have a couple of jackets that I use depending on weather and what I'm doing - they vary from down jackets (I have 2 of those, one thick one, one thinner one), to full waterproof goretex type.

For what you're looking for, I'd be looking at what's available from Mountain Designs, Kathmandu and the ilk.

If you're not wanting waterproofing, there's not really much need to look at softshells, as they are semi-waterproof (waterproof for long enough to put another jacket on over the top type waterproof)

It almost sounds like you're looking for a full zip fleece jacket rather than a soft shell, and in that case just look for one that is Polartec - I swear by them, with the oldest one I've got now approaching 20 years old!

Personally, it's just gone cold enough here that I've got my Mardale out, which is very similar to the Buffalo jackets like this one... might be overkill in Northern QLD, but ideal here on the NSW Northern Tablelands... I've been swimming (kayaking) in November in the Thames before wearing one of these, and still be warm after getting out the water, and because I was warm, it started to dry itself out...

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »
If you're not wanting waterproofing, there's not really much need to look at softshells, as they are semi-waterproof (waterproof for long enough to put another jacket on over the top type waterproof)

It almost sounds like you're looking for a full zip fleece jacket rather than a soft shell, and in that case just look for one that is Polartec - I swear by them, with the oldest one I've got now approaching 20 years old!

the 'softshell-style' of jacket appeals because it has a slimmer profile than a traditional jacket (bomber-style), and they seem a bit lighter, both in material and in weight.

the ability to pack it in a backpack and not take up heaps of room would be good...

that's why i linked to the kathmandu one... 

i had not heard of 'mountain designs' before... i will check them out too... multiple replies have mentioned this brand... a good sign... :)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »
My experience is that soft shells don't breath and are less then ideal in humid conditions.
In Melbourne weather they're fine, especially over the top of a normal jumper when those glacial winds with misty rain that's almost sleet is howling through a job site.

But not so great in Qld. Think wearing a wetsuit while standing out in a paddock in the sun.

My best ever jacket was a Rainbird that I bought in Townsville many years ago, I've still got it but it's getting a bit ratty now.
It has a kind of light weight water proof canvas type material outside, but with a cotton lining inside. Perfect for the tropics.

I wanted to replace it a little while ago, but unfortunately they don't make the same style any more.
There was a similar one in anaconda a couple of years ago, I was going to link it for you here, but it looks like they don't stock it any more either.

Soft-shells are the in thing these days, but after trying a couple of different styles I can say they're not for me.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:52:29 PM by Pete79 »

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 06:45:20 PM »

I have a Sierra soft shell jacket that is light and warm, full zip, and I rate highly for quality, lasted for more than 10 years worn every day April to September in my old job.  This jackets was great in the Blue Mts but it don't get much use now days up here in Brisbane but that is partly due to it having a former employer water company name on the jacket, but I will wear it when travelling. Like Pete79 I also have a Rainbird rain/ wind jacket which is good quality.
http://www.sierraexperience.com.au/kevin-softshell-jacket/
I actually picked up a full zip soft shell sleeveless jacket last weekend from rivers for $25 that should be good for the arctic SE Qld winter.

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live for today, you may not be here tomorrow.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 09:26:36 PM »
Try Macpac they also have great gear.
2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 12:34:28 AM »
I have a Katmandu Gortex one with a removable hood which is very light and surprisingly warm in cool weather. But useless for real cold. It scrunches up into your pocket. Keeps the rain off too.
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 06:25:18 AM »
My experience is that soft shells don't breath and are less then ideal in humid conditions.
In Melbourne weather they're fine, especially over the top of a normal jumper when those glacial winds with misty rain that's almost sleet is howling through a job site.

But not so great in Qld. Think wearing a wetsuit while standing out in a paddock in the sun.

My best ever jacket was a Rainbird that I bought in Townsville many years ago, I've still got it but it's getting a bit ratty now.
It has a kind of light weight water proof canvas type material outside, but with a cotton lining inside. Perfect for the tropics.

I wanted to replace it a little while ago, but unfortunately they don't make the same style any more.
There was a similar one in anaconda a couple of years ago, I was going to link it for you here, but it looks like they don't stock it any more either.

Soft-shells are the in thing these days, but after trying a couple of different styles I can say they're not for me.
Same. Unless it is cold and windy I don't like them. My go to outer shell is now an Aldi inoc ski jacket. 5 odd years old and still perfect. Huge ski zips under the arms allow plenty of fresh in, and 20000mm rating. I threw away a $500 ronstan offshore shell for it. It was $120 and is one of the best bits of technical gear I own surprisingly enough. The 'goretex' in it actually breathes.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:32:20 AM by GBC »