Author Topic: Options on a new Tambo  (Read 5816 times)

Chester

Options on a new Tambo
« on: March 03, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »
In the process of taking the plunge and placing an order for a new Tambo Cooper.

After months and countless hours of research we have decided the Tambo is the camper for us. Might sound crazy but we are yet to see one in the flesh but have based our choice on the valued opioions of various forums and of course value for money.

Want to place the order soon as is seems like there is quite a wait.

Question time - what do Tambo Cooper owners suggest are the 'must have' options?

Here is my list ....

Water Tank
Stone Guard
Brakes
Lockable Toolbox
12V Kit
Annex
Please feel free to add any comments etc.

Cheers,

Chester

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Options on a new Tambo
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 07:26:41 PM »
My Tambo build thread http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=2272.0

My option list, only thing we haven't used is the draught skirt and bed fly screen

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:55:12 PM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Moggs

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
My suggestions based on our experience:

1. Extended draw bar if you have a rear wheel carrier or a single side opening barn door on the 4wd. Alternatively, get them to 'sweep' back the sides on the guard frame.
2. Extended stone guard (and ditch the stupid mudflaps under it and cover the whole underside of the frame in rubber
3. If you get the full slide out kitchen (which is great, means everything can be stored in there without needing to live out of boxes) get a centre divider put in the trailer tub so things don't fall behind it.
4. Rear tow receiver for a bike carrier (even if you don't think you will ever use it)
5. Eyelets sewn into the sides  of the awning to take an extra pole each end - helps with tensioning and carrying the weight of the awning walls if you get them.
6. At least the awning walls around the kitchen
7. If you get the rear bedroom, flaps with eyelets on each side for extra poles to tension the roof
8. Get them to build the jerry holders to take 20ltr jerrys, not 25ltr
9. get the side lift
10. The drop down legs they use on the trailer with the larger water tank are great (alko brand). Even if you are getting the smaller water tank get these legs over the wind down ones
11. Get the Lido Junior stove - it is worth the money.

and most importantly,

12. get the extra height cover - you will use the extra space for sure.

Good luck with it. I am sure you will be happy with your choice.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:53:27 PM by Moggs »
Cheers,
Moggs
A big green 4wd
Tambo Cooper

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 08:48:32 PM »
I bought my Tambo second hand so had little choice, The above are all great options and i would include

-Brakes
-If you have a family and are thinking about the extra room, get the extra door installed at purchase, it is a costly exercise to do it later and yo can always add the extra room later
-side lift is great
-longer drawer bar, even with the patrol double rear door it is a bugger to gain access to the rear of the wagon
-annex
-i built my own kitchen, helps to be a chippy, mark 2 coming out soon
-extended stone guards all the way to the guards
-DO35 hitch, not sure if they fit them to them but it wouldn't hurt to ask

Garrick

Offline DaveO

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 03:34:48 PM »
Agree with all the comments thus far. The ones I found most important and "must have" for me:-

1. Definitely the higher travel cover. It is amazing what fits under here. (awning, side walls, ground sheets etc which I store on top of the dust cover and under the travel cover.)
2. The Lido Junior stove is fantastic. I hunted around for an alternative, but came back to the Lido, even though they are not cheap.
3. I think the drop down legs are standard?, but well worth having.
4. Unless you carry 25 litre jerries, it is well worth having the standard 25L holders made for the 20 litre, otherwise they will be a PITA flopping around in the bigger space. Keith suggested some people like to use the extra space behind a 20L jerry to store things, but not for me. I am glad I had them changed.
5. Stoneguard extensions - stops a lot of damage, although on our trip to the Cape last year, I still found parts got sandblasted, even with full length mudflaps I have fitted under the draw bar/toolbox area. e.g the 30mm on the leading edge of the mudguards not covered by the extension and the lower edges of the front of the trailer still copped it. I am in the process of making up some extra mudflaps for the back of the vehicle to try to minimise the damage. It was a real pain fixing it all up from the last trip.
6. Treg hitch (or similar ie D035 if Keith will fit them) I have had no problems at all hooking up the trailer.

Good luck with your Tambo purchase. You will find Keith and Amanda fantastic to deal with. Nothing is too much trouble. The Tambo is a great value for money trailer and as tough as nails. It handled our Cape trip including the OTL without a whimper.

Regards,

Dave
Dave

Offline sswr

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 07:55:55 PM »
also get a under step vent lets cooler air in on hot days
2003 Patrol
2009 tambo cooper

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 06:42:50 AM »
also get a under step vent lets cooler air in on hot days

pics

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Chester

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 07:34:18 AM »
Great feedback guys. Looks like the options list is growing a bit longer. As always it will come down to the budget.

Another question?? Is is worth having the 12v option or better to have it wired up post delivery? I've heard the some factory istallations are a bit mickey mouse.

Thanks,

Chester

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 07:50:16 AM »
Great feedback guys. Looks like the options list is growing a bit longer. As always it will come down to the budget.

Another question?? Is is worth having the 12v option or better to have it wired up post delivery? I've heard the some factory installations are a bit mickey mouse.

Thanks,

Chester
I purchased out Tambo second hand and it did not have any 12v gear. I have since added a custom battery box and wiring. I cannot comment on the 12v system that Tambo install but i think that it is on the basic side with a battery box being attached to the rear guard area. If you do it yourself you can set it up how you would like.

GG
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:38:53 PM by GGPatrol »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 01:33:32 PM »

Another question?? Is is worth having the 12v option or better to have it wired up post delivery? I've heard the some factory istallations are a bit mickey mouse.

Thanks,

Chester

I have the 12V option and whilst I still use it I have modified it by removing the tail from the battery and fitting a couple of 12v sockets to the battery box. It serves my purpose as I only run lights from it.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline DaveO

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 07:19:03 AM »
Chester,

Just to add another spin to it, I don't have the battery pack on the camper. My Engel and auxiliary battery stay next to each other in the back of the vehicle. For lighting, I made up a 12V extension lead and double adapter and run it from there to the camper for 2 Versalites.  All I had Keith do was put a second zip for power leads in the opposite end of the vinyl section that covers from the bed to the floor so I can use either end. Cost an extra $20. So far, I haven't had an issue with distance from the vehicle and it works well for me.

Dave
Dave

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 07:25:19 AM »
With all these Tambos in MEL we should organise a Tambo trip to check out each others mods  8)

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline tommo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • the memorys
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »
i also put in my own 12v set up with ease. so save your self the $200 odd bucks i think tambo want. i all so got the liddo jnr cheaper elsewhere.
2005 gu patrol 2009 tambo copper

Offline chrisroche

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 10:20:16 PM »
Tambo just around the corner from home and very impressive.  Amanda is great and down to last two in our selection.

- 3 additional jerrys on front with longer drawbar for extra $210ish.
- 12v is on back left and i would put in tool box and do myself.
- Get awning put over long bed window.
- PVC on main tent large window
- With slide out kitchen, the wash tub hits the canvas wall...CAUTION.
- Have facility for kids room to be added as can help with resale.  Amanda at Tambo is highly against taking wall off and trying to add later as need stitching to go in exact same holes.  About $185ish
- XT tent at 12ft if needed but ensure you get spreader bars as they have recenlty changed this.
- Ability to fit boat racks later - have this put on at start and saves tent having to be taken off.  $175ish.

They will not fit toolboxes from Marlo onto the Cooper

Hope this helps
Are we there yet?

2011 Pathfinder...Lifestyle Camper

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 06:23:54 PM »
Could you post some pics of the under step vent.
Cheers,
Richard.
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat